Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian police hunt for 'Irish tourists'

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I thought they wanted to be known as a distinct ethnic group?
    If so they cannot be considered Irish and the media should have ran with the headline "Distinct ethnic group known as Travellers cause havoc across Australia" or words to that effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Those k****ers must have robbed alot of houses here to have been able to go out and rob alot of houses in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Our name must be mud out there.

Between this and all the other goons who went in the recession.

If so they cannot be considered Irish and the media should have ran with the headline "Distinct ethnic group known as Travellers cause havoc across Australia" or words to that effect.

Nationality (noun) is the relationship between a person and the political state to which he belongs or is affiliated.

Ethnicity (noun) is the identification of a person with a particular racial, cultural, or religious group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

They should be given "traveller" passports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I think they have all headed to Hawaii now!

What did I ever do wrong with my life? Oh yes, paid my taxes.

Stupid me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

What did I ever do wrong with my life? Oh yes, paid my taxes.

Stupid me

What did the poor Hawaiians do wrong to deserve what's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

To be fair the grass skirts will probably suit the women folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

"The cheap surfboard was too good to be true", Brad Tyler told the Honolulu Herald, "and it just disintegrated on contact with the salt water. I guess I was taken by him respectfully referring to me as the boss."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,064 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

But what about all The Ozs who rob and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Imagine them trying to play the race card in the States. It would be hilarious. And probably result in them getting a beating. Or shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,783 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

silverharp wrote: »
    do they ever pop up in those border patrol programmes, the conversations must be hilarious (once they get an interpreter in)

To your average Occer cop or border patrol guard, an Irish traveller would sound exactly the same as someone from Belfast or Dublin or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Graces7 wrote: »
    I rather enjoy it.. In my no power months all I had was a tiny battery radio and learned a lot, and some of his work eg the versantis debate, was perfect. People need to sound off

Graces I wouldn’t take everything (I mean anything ) I hear in Liveline as fact.
    A whole show will go by with absolutely wrong information allowed to go unchallenged .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Zulu wrote: »
    They played a recording of one of the messages left to the landlord whos place they trashed.
    They sounded more English than Irish - in so far as one who moves frequently can be "from" a place.

I don’t know what you were listening to but what I was listening to was Traveller Irish.
    The “smelly” insult is almost exclusively used by them in their frequent vile diatribes against anyone who dares to challenge them.
    What part of England would you have placed them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Those k****ers must have robbed alot of houses here to have been able to go out and rob alot of houses in Australia.

Why a warning, op is right. Caught a couple of them red handed trying to rob my house just before Christmas. Too much political correctness in this country. We bend over for everybody lest we offend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

crustybla wrote: »
    Why a warning, op is right. Caught a couple of them red handed trying to rob my house just before Christmas. Too much political correctness in this country. We bend over for everybody lest we offend.

Tell me about it-the p.c. snowflake moderators here are laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Odelay

Tell me about it-the p.c. snowflake moderators here are laughable.

Well maybe you should set up your own discussion website?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

splinter65 wrote: »
    What part of England would you have placed them in?
    No part in particular - they were travelers :confused:
    But there was a distinct english twang(?) I felt.

But it's splitting hairs really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Regarding the accent in my experience they do so much travelling over and back between here and the UK many of them now have a blended accent -it sounds horrendous btw

Advertisement