Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can work not pay bonus for paternity leave

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hi,

Im currently awaiting a reply from my employer regarding my bonus.

Now my bonus is in my contract as a monthly payment and is based on KPIS etc.

If someone is on Annual leave then they are not penalised on their bonus for not having these KPIs for the days they arent there its taken as a given they would reach them( under normal circumstances) but if you are absent without prior knowledge for the company i.e. sick etc you are deducted for that

However my boss says she is unsure regarding the payment of bonus while i was on 2 weeks paternity leave and is going to discuss it with our HR department.

As its paid paternity i would consider it the same as annual leave and should be considered the same regarding not being penalised, similar to if a woman is on paternity leave she retains her working rights based on her contract etc.

Can anyone weigh in on this? Have they been in a similar situation?
    Would this be a workers rights issue if they deny the bonus?

NB: my company are pretty fair and i dont see them saying no but im just asking just in case

The 2 week thing is fairly new so your company may not have prepared for it, depending on size.

I would take it at face value that they dont have a plan but would assume they will pay you half of it as technically you didnt meet the KPI whilst off unless you had a stellar 2 weeks when back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You’re entitled to take an extra 16 weeks unpaid maternity on top of your initial 26 weeks if you wish. Additionally you will have accrued annual leave and public holidays to use. Many women can take the guts of a year off when on maternity by maximising their entitlements. It’s not unheard of for women to come back from maternity leave pregnant again. As well as maternity entitlements there is the option of parental leave. A girl in my last job went on maternity leave and had three children (single births) and came back to work 4 years after the start of her first ML.

I know how ML can be maximised. I'm still calling BS on the other poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Why? It’s perfectly feasible, as my post pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Hi thanks for your reply.

My employer hasnt paid me for paternity leave, its the SW although the option is there for an employer to be paid by SW and they pay you as normal.

Woman in our company still receive maternity pay from our job and SW at the same time(one tops the other up i believe) based on their contracts and accrue holidays etc as normal

Still waiting to hear back though

How come they top up maternity leave but not paternity leave I’d be asking that more than about the bonus.
    Hr in my place said there was no way they could not treat them the same or they would be open to a case against them. My contract also had 3 days paternity leave but when the 2 weeks was brought in they paid it in full same as maternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Why? It’s perfectly feasible, as my post pointed out.

Ffs i know the girl. I worked with her. Child 1 born july 2015, child 2 august 2016, child 3 april 2017, child 4 feb 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

amtc wrote: »
    Ffs i know the girl. I worked with her. Child 1 born july 2015, child 2 august 2016, child 3 april 2017, child 4 feb 2018.

Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

amtc wrote: »

Which would make for a total of 2 years and 9 months leave so far. And the gap between Child 2 and Child 3 is surely worthy of a bonus.

Advertisement