Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Easy Snacks

Options
  • 08-03-2018 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi all, I find I have got into a bit of a rut. I work nights so when I come home its the quickest handiest thing I want as a snack. Now I have got into the habit at present of a rice cake with peanut butter or hummous on it which I don't think it too bad. But I find then when I'm off as in sun night or one during the week, I'll sit with my glass of wine and just eat rubbish! And its pure habit. So I need to try stop this. Can any of you suggest nice quick easy healthy snacks to nibble on? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Healthy or lower calorie? You could switch to (unsalted) nuts, but they are quite calorie dense, but "healthy".

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

No healthy, good idea on the nuts, with the salted nuts I just love them, could stay eating them! :D Probably wouldn't eat half as many when not salted. First thing sorted so :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bake up some Anzac Biscuits. Loads of different ways of making them. Some nice and healthy. Some less so. They keep for a while too and are delicious.

If you go, or include, pistachio's that you have to shell, it also slows down my eating a bit. But I normally go popcorn on my none designated beer and crisps night, and go savory with usually a BBQ seasoning. I use a teaspoon of coconut oil for the oil and the kernals in a pot, into a bowl and sprinkle the seasoning - it's actually really easy for relatively healthy, and not much longer than a microwave bag to make (if at all) which have a long additive list. Doing relatively small batches at a time also means I have to make more of an effort to go for more!

Lentil crisps or the Pop Outs/ Pop'd things that Aldi and Lidl have are a bit less calorific when only crisps will do as well.

Thanks going look up recipe for anzac biscuits now and I haven't had popcorn in ages, I like your thinking in making it yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Greek yoghurt...the like of Fage or the Glenisk stuff (green packaging).

I just find it filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,554 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've never really understood the need to snack but I'm aware I'm an outlier in that regard. I usually make hummous for my sister, mostly so I don't have to listen to her complain about her weight because she can't not snack.

Tin of chickpeas (drained & rinsed, obvs)
    1 red chilli
    2 cloves garlic
    Juice of a lemon
    Plenty of salt and pepper

Whizz the whole lot in a food processer til it's the consistency you like (I'm not mad about perfectly smooth hummous). Stir in just enough olive oil to bind the flavours (about a tablespoon), taste & adjust the seasoning if necessary.

She eats it on carrot, pepper and celery sticks.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've never really understood the need to snack but I'm aware I'm an outlier in that regard.
    It's definitely a learned behaviour and then a comfort/ boredom thing. My personal approach has been to accept it and try to minimise the impact with less bad choices. If I know it's going to be a movie/ box set and snack night, I've also sometimes tried to work my meal times to have evening meal in front of the telly (we do normally have family meals at the table).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

michdee wrote: »
    Thanks going look up recipe for anzac biscuits now and I haven't had popcorn in ages, I like your thinking in making it yourself

I'm struggling to imagine what an Anzac biscuit might be made of.
    Usually full of delicious golden syrup

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm struggling to imagine what an Anzac biscuit might be made of.
    Usually full of delicious golden syrup
    I looked it up - Oats, Sugar, syrup, oats and dessicated coconut. Looked and sounded lovely (and have printed a recipe!), but I'm not sure I'd be wanting to be sitting in front of a movie with a plate full as a healthy alternative to salted nuts tbh!

• Advertisement

Great got an anzac biscuit recipe thanks, sounds lovely. No not in front of the tv but more when I come off a night shift might be a healthy quick snack!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I looked it up - Oats, Sugar, syrup, oats and dessicated coconut. Looked and sounded lovely (and have printed a recipe!), but I'm not sure I'd be wanting to be sitting in front of a movie with a plate full as a healthy alternative to salted nuts tbh!

I'm very familiar with them. They're Australian (hence the name). But very much full of energy/sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

What is the "rubbish" you refer to eating OP?

O I love to sit down with crisps, nuts, pringles etc. With glass of wine during weekends. During night shifts when I'm home I do try be good and would eat rice cake with hummous or peanut butter on it. However I could just grab a bag of crisps if I've none or handful of nuts etc....Its just because they are quick and no effort when so late at night etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Substitute the rice cakes with carrot or pepper and you're on to a good snack. Popcorn is great, personally love edamame (if you've nothing against soy).

Advertisement