Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy 100% natural (no powder) protein shake?

Options
  • 06-03-2018 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

There are some recipes online, and a book High-Protein Shakes: Strength-Building Recipes for Everyday Health by Pamela Braun, but I wonder if any of you have found a recipe that provides 30g of protein, does not taste like complete muck, and most of the ingredients are easily available in Lidl, Aldi, or Tesco?

Most recipes online include something like '2 scoops of protein powder', but I am trying to move away from powders completely, but I would still be able to get protein into me easily in liquid form, while still in the gym, immediately after my workout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ever watched Rocky? Only thing I can think of that would give that amount of protein without powder (which is natural) would be eggwhites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Something like this perhaps:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

bladespin wrote:
    Ever watched Rocky? Only thing I can think of that would give that amount of protein without powder (which is natural) would be eggwhites.

Just don't eat them raw. For. One they're disgusting and two the protein is less bioavailble when raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Liquidise a tin of tuna.

Liquidise a tin of tuna.

Mix in a few eggwhites the down it - everyone'll know you're hardcore to the bone!!! :D

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Mix in a few eggwhites the down it - everyone'll know you're hardcore to the bone!!! :D

You disgusting animal.

You disgusting animal.

Do not let the Vegans see this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

You could use hemp seeds...also the 0% fat greek yogurt from Aldi is 10 grams of protein per 100 gram of yogurt, this could easily be blended together with some fruit to make a tasty shake so long as you have a decent blender.

There are some recipes online, and a book High-Protein Shakes: Strength-Building Recipes for Everyday Health by Pamela Braun, but I wonder if any of you have found a recipe that provides 30g of protein, does not taste like complete muck, and most of the ingredients are easily available in Lidl, Aldi, or Tesco?

Most recipes online include something like '2 scoops of protein powder', but I am trying to move away from powders completely, but I would still be able to get protein into me easily in liquid form, while still in the gym, immediately after my workout.

Serious question: do you get much protein over the course of your day or are you reliant on the protein in liquid form that you don't actually need to have immediately after your workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bosupe

The tub of cottage cheese available in Aldi and Lidl provides roughly 30g of protein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Just don't eat them raw. For. One they're disgusting and two the protein is less bioavailble when raw.

Good to know, the shake with the raw egg in the video is out then!
    bladespin wrote: »
    Do not let the Vegans see this!!!

Careful, they will hear you! :pac:
    You could use hemp seeds...also the 0% fat greek yogurt from Aldi is 10 grams of protein per 100 gram of yogurt, this could easily be blended together with some fruit to make a tasty shake so long as you have a decent blender.

Thanks. I have the Fage Total 0% stuff for breakfast every morning, but I will check out the Aldi stuff (and also Lidl), which is probably much cheaper. I have a Fruit Ninja.
    Serious question: do you get much protein over the course of your day or are you reliant on the protein in liquid form that you don't actually need to have immediately after your workout.

I usually do one shake immediately after workout (which could be two hours or more on the gym floor on upper body days, another hour with stretching, shower, and driving home - If I want to get protein there instead), and five 30g meals throughout the day, and one of those is always before the gym.

I was doing upper body and lower body each twice a week, and cardio three or four times a week, so my trainer was concerned I would lose too much weight, and advised I have a shake as soon as I finish working out.

I get a lot of injuries, and the latest physio thinks it is down to doing too much at the gym in addition to work and college, so I am going to drop cardio completely for awhile (and maybe one of the six meals?), but I thought a natural shake might also help, and possibly also save me a few bucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

but I thought a natural shake might also help, and possibly also save me a few bucks!

Whey protein can be very cheap if purchased online

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thanks. I have the Fage Total 0% stuff for breakfast every morning, but I will check out the Aldi stuff (and also Lidl), which is probably much cheaper.
    The Lidl "greek style" isn't as thick as the Aldi option. More like normal yogurt than greek style, but still tastes fine and is a bigger pot. Lidl also have flavoured and unflavoured/natural skyr.

I usually do one shake immediately after workout (which could be two hours or more on the gym floor on upper body days, another hour with stretching, shower, and driving home - If I want to get protein there instead), and five 30g meals throughout the day, and one of those is always before the gym.

I was doing upper body and lower body each twice a week, and cardio three or four times a week, so my trainer was concerned I would lose too much weight, and advised I have a shake as soon as I finish working out.

I get a lot of injuries, and the latest physio thinks it is down to doing too much at the gym in addition to work and college, so I am going to drop cardio completely for awhile (and maybe one of the six meals?), but I thought a natural shake might also help, and possibly also save me a few bucks!

You're getting 30g per meal across the day. You're getting your hit pretty well. You don't really need to be getting protein within that window after the gym so you could have something when you get home. Or just have something without needing it to be so high in protein. The yoghurts make sense. They're handy. But if you're looking to do it in a less expensive way, then probably not the best option.

A shake is your best option but I wouldn't get so hung up on protein content post training that you make things difficult or expensive. Just have some food.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why are you against protein powder?
    It's the same type of protein as what's in the Fage

Advertisement