Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phones at concerts and gigs

Options
  • 05-03-2018 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

My oh and myself were at a gig the other week and the person in front of me instead of watching the show spent the entire time holding his phone up in the air recording the gig, which led to me not really been able to see the gig myself. What I dont get is why these people cant just enjoy the gig and instead watch it on the phone screen, might as well stayed at home and watched it on youtube a day later. What does boards say I think personally they should be banned.

Should mobiles be banned at gigs? 100 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    79% 79 votes
    atari jaguar
    21% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Tell them to stick it up their holes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

A good solid electromagnetic pulse should sort out a lot of this nonsense.

Hope it arrives fairly soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Last I heard north korea was working on one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Was at formula one a few years ago which isn't a great spectator sport in the first place and some lad decided it was a great idea to record the whole thing on an iPad. It was the most futile thing I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I just feel sad for these idiots living through their phones. Its not just concerts, its everything, they can't experience any family event or random thing happening in front of them without immediately whipping out their phone to take a picture or video that nobody will ever even watch or give a **** about.

Its just sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I reckon if you banned mobile phones from gigs, most of them in Ireland wouldn't sell-out as fast as they do - too many idiots recording the gig, checking their facebook check-in to see how many likes it got etc...

Was in the states and cinemax is a cinema chain in NJ they offer free popcorn on your next visit if you use their app and set it to movie mode. If you disable to app when your in the movie then no popcorn for you next time.

I was too busy filming it to enjoy the experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Don Henley put manners on them idiots when he was in Ireland, he said enjoy the event in real time instead of trying to make a video of it. When they obeyed him he allowed them to use their phones for his last song and sure enough the idiots were waving their phones in the air.

What's the point of making a crap video of a concert that they will never watch anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,210 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

jjbrien wrote: »
    Last I heard north korea was working on one :pac:

Rocketman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Concerts itself can be where you get the real plonkers going crazy with their phones, it's a sign of the times though & for me very hard to be around that one maybe two family members or friends who are completely lost in that world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I've found a tap on the shoulder and : "excuse me - could you please turn off your mobile phone screen. It's really annoying!" works in almost all situations.

Using an EMP could also wipe out the sound system :)

I was at a theatre performance a few years ago and this woman kept texting (with sound effects on). The actors stopped the show and in full thespian dramatic pomp : guards! Seize her !! "

Skedaddle wrote: »
    I've found a tap on the shoulder and : "excuse me - could you please turn off your mobile phone screen. It's really annoying!" works in almost all situations.

Except the one where the response is "fuck off" followed by a quick punch to the face :pac:

Except the one where the response is "fuck off" followed by a quick punch to the face :pac:

In which case they get to regret the day they were born!

Skedaddle wrote: »
    In which case they get to regret the day they were born!

They won't let ya into the venue with your keyboard :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

They installed similar technology in some of the jails. From what I hear, it doesn't work. I went to see The Specials at the Olympia a few years back and I was a hairs breadth away from clocking some spa because of it. Next gig in me diary is Carl Cox in August. I don't think I'll have the same problem then :D

They won't let ya into the venue with your keyboard :P

I wouldn't waste a good keyboard on someone punched me in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

I was at a club the other night that I had been telling a mate back home about. Took out my phone and recorded it for a couple of minutes so I could send him the video.

Am I going to hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If only there was some way to move at a gig!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't spend my time on my phone at gigs. But I don't care if others do. Why/how would you ban them? Id find it annoying and impractical having my phone confiscated at a club or concert, i like to take a few pictures and need it to contact people if I have to

wakka12 wrote: »
    I don't spend my time on my phone at gigs. But I don't care if others do. Why/how would you ban them? Id find it annoying and impractical having my phone confiscated at a club or concert, i like to take a few pictures and need it to contact people if I have to

What if you were rewarded for installing an app that you cant use your phone to record at a gig but got some sort of free gift at the end? Would you do it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I have some videos of concerts myself and I can tell you I have looked at them a total of 0 times.
    Like you’re hardly gonna sit down and reminisce and have a mini rave for yourself through the phone. Waste of time and waste of phone space.
    Worse again are the people who Snapchat you from concerts. All I can see is a mere speck on a distant stage and all I can hear is you screaming down the phone Hun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

jjbrien wrote: »
    What if you were rewarded for installing an app that you cant use your phone to record at a gig but got some sort of free gift at the end? Would you do it then?

Yeh I guess I would. But whats the point of wasting money on that? Like why do you care if other people waste their life on their gadgets? I couldn't care less what other people I don't know do at a gig tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

anna080 wrote: »
    I have some videos of concerts myself and I can tell you I have looked at them a total of 0 times.
    Like you’re hardly gonna sit down and reminisce and have a mini rave for yourself through the phone. Waste of time and waste of phone space.
    Worse again are the people who Snapchat you from concerts. All I can see is a mere speck on a distant stage and all I can hear is you screaming down the phone Hun.

But they're showing you how much "fun" they're having !!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh I guess I would. But whats the point of wasting money on that? Like why do you care if other people waste their life on their gadgets? I couldn't care less what other people I don't know do at a gig tbh

It's annoying, all you see is the lights from all the phones. If you pay to see a concert the last thing you want to be distracted by is phone lights waving in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I was at the eddie Vedder gig in cork last year.and seated in front of me were three over 50s ladies.they looked like they won the tickets if you get my drift.sure enough the one in front of me took out the phone and was texting.for ages.eventually i tapped her on the shoulder and said could you please knock it off its very bright and destroying our view.she was shocked but did it, but id swear they spent the rest of the gig reading the hole off me.
    Im delighted i said it though.**** them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Was at a gig with the missus who is about 5ft 2 and this plonker in front of her kept his phone up . She would me more forward than me and asked him to take phone down. He just gave her a dirty look. Now I'm 6ft4 and built like the proverbial ****house. So I asked him to take phone down and he gave me the look as well .set me off which is hard to do. I told him not only would I rip the phone from his hand but also his arm from his socket. He moved on quite quick. Even got a little round of applause from others around us. The threat of violence while not correct is quite effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭piplip87

A bit of common sense is needed. Sure grab a snap or even a video of a bit of a song but not the whole bloody gig. Now I have never taken a pic or made a vid at a gig because by the time the main act comes on I am not even on the planet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

D3V!L wrote: »
    But they're showing you how much "fun" they're having !!:rolleyes:

Aye, that's the point. It's all about social oneupmanship and creating the illusion that you have a great life. A lot of them are only adding the clips to their Instagram/Facebook stories which disappear after 24 hours anyway.

Advertisement