Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris Nice 2018 - May Contain Spoilers

Options
  • 03-03-2018 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

Tomorrow sees the start of Paris Nice and this years race to the sun is not as starstuddered as the past few years, but nonetheless we do have some interesting profiles. There will probably not be enough interest to justify individual threads so a single thread for the whole race makes sense.

The route is as classic as they come, with stages favoring sprinters, puncheurs and climbers.

Irish cyclists are well represented with Roche, Martin and Bennett all competing.

Dan is an outside bet for the overall (He will be targetting Stage 1 & 7) but its hard to look outside Team Sky for a winner (Poels/Henao) with competition likely to come from Zakarin, Mollema, Alaphilippe or Fuglsang.

For the sprinters Demare, Viviani, Degenkolb, Groenewagen, Greipel and Bouhani provide the opposition for Sam.

Eurosport will be providing live coverage all week

profile-01.jpg

profile-02.jpg

profile-03.jpg

profile-04.jpg

profile-05.jpg

profile-06.jpg

profile-07.jpg

profile-08.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Tim Wellens or Sergio Henao are my picks for GC

Marc Soller as an outside bet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Velogames league code 71580179 if anyone wants to play

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Just entered. Reckon I have a good chance of making the podium this year.

.... 2 enteries so far :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I just signed up to the Eurosport player to watch this, but on the various apps can only find an option to watch from 14:20, I had assumed I could watch the entirety of this live, was I incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Tim Wellens or Sergio Henao are my picks for GC

Marc Soller as an outside bet

Surprised by you MPFGLB, no love for Teejay;)

• Advertisement

Only a 3 man break away. 2:30 up the road and no surprise to see Pierre Rolland there.

cunavalos wrote: »
    Surprised by you MPFGLB, no love for Teejay;)

Well TEEJAY is in my fantasy team btw

You can never be sure with Teejay ...He can TT but he can also come out and not finish a stage. He is BMCs leader but that could the wind up him

Nico Roche hasnt hit his best form yet ...but in better shape that last year . Dylan Tuens could be a good outsider if his TT is up to scratch

The TT and bonus seconds is key

GP Industria & Artigianato is just starting live coverage on ES player, will pass the time nicely until coverage of Paris Nice is live.

GP Industria & Artigianato is just starting live coverage on ES player, will pass the time nicely until coverage of Paris Nice is live.

the indoor circular cycling dutch world champs on bbc aswell

I just signed up to the Eurosport player to watch this, but on the various apps can only find an option to watch from 14:20, I had assumed I could watch the entirety of this live, was I incorrect?

Depends on the race, sometimes they'll have a raw ad free stream with no commentary on the player early on into the race. They go to live coverage with commentary usually with an hour or so to go. Thats usually down to the race organisers and all broadcasters will air at the same time with a package showing off the local and the break going etc.

• Advertisement

Looks just as miserable as here. Best viewing spot for this is the couch

Teejay has abandoned ...

Well TEEJAY is in my fantasy team btw

You can never be sure with Teejay ...He can TT but he can also come out and not finish a stage. He is BMCs leader but that could the wind up him

Nico Roche hasnt hit his best form yet ...but in better shape that last year . Dylan Tuens could be a good outsider if his TT is up to scratch

The TT and bonus seconds is key

Oops I may have cursed TEEJAY

Abandoned after innocuous looking crash

Simple crashes can cause bad injuries

Nico went down with him

Dan hanging at the back....not looking great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Dan has moved to the front now

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

neris wrote:
    Looks just as miserable as here. Best viewing spot for this is the couch

Absolutely agree. Great to have it back. Although I'm almost sick of watching TV after the last few days.

cunavalos wrote: »
    Oops I may have cursed TEEJAY

Abandoned after innocuous looking crash

Start as you mean to go on so for teejay

Crash with less then 5 to go

What the **** was demarre up to there on the line

• Advertisement

Dan finishes in the group of favourites @ 2seconds so only loses small amounts of time to Izagirre, Alaphilippe and Wellens on GC.
    Nico finished about two minutes back so will probably ride for Teuns who may still have GC aspirations or hopefully be given free reign for stage wins later in the week

Top 30 on GC
    Stage1.jpg

Zakarin and Fuglsang the big losers on GC today (As well as Teejay)

Yeah Fuglsang was 1:38 down. He's looked far better than that coming into this so far this year. Roche on the same time as him.

Yeah Fuglsang was 1:38 down. He's looked far better than that coming into this so far this year. Roche on the same time as him.

They were caught in the crash ..or otherwise they would have been up there at 2" back ....steep final climb but not difficult to stay up there for GC

They were caught in the crash ..or otherwise they would have been up there at 2" back ....steep final climb but not difficult to stay up there for GC

I knew Nico had been down but didn't know Fuglsang was one of the ones who took a tumble too.

Seemingly Teejay went down (with Nico) and then they got up and rode on (this we saw on TV)

Later Teejey was hit by a team car ....Gerrans and Nico were bringing him back

Talk about bad luck

He and Porte have it in spades

Team UAE reports Dan was feeling ok but the finish suited more powerful riders and his lightweight frame was a disadvantage on the cobbles
    https://twitter.com/TeamUAEAbuDhabi/status/970334326654107650

Seemingly Teejay went down (with Nico) and then they got up and rode on (this we saw on TV)

Later Teejey was hit by a team car ....Gerrans and Nico were bringing him back

Talk about bad luck

He and Porte have it in spades

Yeah, Teejay sort of admitted that the second crash may have been his fault as he rode into the back of another team team car while trying to adjust his chain which was damaged after the first crash.

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/sp-es/experiencia/feedzone/van_garderen_sustains_cervical_sprain_in_paris_nice_crash/

Just over 10km to go and breakaway of 2 riders have a gap of 15 seconds, so looks like a sprint finish, Sam is safely in the bunch and will contest the sprint

Looks like Sam went early with no lead out and got boxed in

• Advertisement

He was done I think by the time he was boxed in. The incline wouldn't have suited him either.

Advertisement