Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off insurance

Options
  • 03-03-2018 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Just got a quote
    Was with liberty insurance 3 years ago with a policy of 550 for year
    1.9tdi Car 2002

Just quoted for a different 1.9tdi car 2002 again
    10 Years no claims
    10 years full licence

They were delighted to offer me a tastey policy of €2677.98

Tryed over 25s too and they said their underwriters dont insure cars over 15 years old with a VALID NCT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭tanko

Have you tried Allianz or Axa?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

tanko wrote: »
    Have you tried Allianz or Axa?

No not tryed either yet
    I tryed AXA last year and they came back with a stupid price aswell

I tryed myself on the mothers 07 1.4 vw golf and it came back as 760 euro with allianz

Dont have the money to be buying new cars though when i have a perfect car with nct and doesnt give any bother

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

As always, shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You clearly don't fit their demographic. So move onto an insurer who wants you. It's really quite simple. I used to buy my briquettes from the garage down the road. Aldi are doing them for less so now I buy from them. Must start a thread about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

firstlight wrote: »
    Just got a quote
    Was with liberty insurance 3 years ago with a policy of 550 for year
    1.9tdi Car 2002

Just quoted for a different 1.9tdi car 2002 again
    10 Years no claims
    10 years full licence

They were delighted to offer me a tastey policy of €2677.98

Tryed over 25s too and they said their underwriters dont insure cars over 15 years old with a VALID NCT
    Have you been off the road for 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Patww79 wrote: »

I give a day every year getting quotes with the last 10 years and change to new insurer everytime.
    There is always one that gives it to me for around €400.
    This time it was Aviva at €410 for fully comp on an IS300.

Nearly all the companies will have set out the prices between each other, so there's never much point in shopping around when it comes to insurance.

Ah, the good old conspiracy theory. Why bother with shed loads of industry information and actuarys when they can all sit around smoking fat cigars and pulling figures out of their asses! You should set up an insurance company, charge me 100 quid for the first year and employing your logic, I'll not bother shopping around anywhere else because, what's the point?

Bravo sir! Do you comment on Journal.ie articles with "burn the bondholders" and "what about the homeless?"

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Nearly all the companies will have set out the prices between each other, so there's never much point in shopping around when it comes to insurance.

That's just blatantly untrue, there is multiple examples on this forum of people getting much cheaper quotes after doing a bit of shopping around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

What was your quote from last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I guess what OP was saying its plain stupid to quote based on cars age, if its got valid nct. I dont get this logic either why one has to be pushed to buy new when you can get 10-15 yr old car that will serve you right. most plastic boxes nowadays crash way harder then some older cars, and until one is road worthy why the age of vehicle should matter.

Its ridiculous that each year one has to go trough trouble spending day to shop around for quotes, since its true most companies pull their numbers out of their a$$ nowadays.

The can be variances, but they do conspire together overall to keep prices high.

Some insurers want to target young drivers because they've got enough of a profile built for these drivers and that's their target market. Some insurers want the older client and have the information to back such a target. Some insurers want a broad share of the pool.

There's no conspiracy, it's just down to their target client / information base and ultimately, their marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

The can be variances, but they do conspire together overall to keep prices high.

Any proof to back up this accusation?

jay1988 wrote: »
    Any proof to back up this accusation?

Lad down the pub is NEVER wrong. Surely you're not asking for actual facts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You are wrong.

Not only are you wrong, you are very wrong.

Not only are you very wrong, you are very very wrong.

giphy.gif

Not of the road 3 years no
    Been with allianz through 3 different brokers the last 3 years
    Last year's quote was 1165 cash up front
    Other quotes were over 2000
    The point I was making is if you are poor and can't buy a new car you need to get the Vaseline out
    What makes it worse is I am a so called professional driver with Cpc card who has a BCDE licence

I know people starting out getting cheaper quotes

What's the logic in that

Tell me please the logic behind it

Sorry I am shopping around,most won't even quote me and some are coming back the price of a 7 or 8 year old car

scamalert wrote: »
    I guess what OP was saying its plain stupid to quote based on cars age, if its got valid nct. I dont get this logic either why one has to be pushed to buy new when you can get 10-15 yr old car that will serve you right. most plastic boxes nowadays crash way harder then some older cars, and until one is road worthy why the age of vehicle should matter.

Its ridiculous that each year one has to go trough trouble spending day to shop around for quotes, since its true most companies pull their numbers out of their a$$ nowadays.

Exactly what I am saying
    Most u spend an hour on phone to be told insane quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 73,433 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Their logic is based on statistics. The biggest payouts go on personal injury claims.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    You clearly don't fit their demographic. So move onto an insurer who wants you. It's really quite simple. I used to buy my briquettes from the garage down the road. Aldi are doing them for less so now I buy from them. Must start a thread about that.

If only insurance was as easy as buying briquettes.thanks though for that lovely piece of information
    What happens when u don't fall inside anyone's demographic?

Move country?????

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Their logic is based on statistics. The biggest payouts go on personal injury claims.

Statistics lovely
    So a new driver in a 2018 car is more of a safe bet than someone with 10 year experience and Sat 4 seperate driving tests
    Their logic is extract as much cash as they can from your pockets
    So no claims bonus is a load of boli*

• Registered Users Posts: 73,433 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Statistics lovely
    So a new driver in a 2018 car is more of a safe bet than someone with 10 year experience and Sat 4 seperate driving tests

You’ll find those involved in fraudulent claims don’t buy new cars until after they get their payout.

It’s not fair, but a lot of things aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Statistics lovely

Read up how a generalised linear model works. They attempt to isolate the effect of each variable in their pricing model (albeit with some interactions).

If you have proof of that you should complain. Start with the Guards maybe?

In any case define "high"?

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Read up how a generalised linear model works. They attempt to isolate the effect of each variable in their pricing model (albeit with some interactions).

Good reference attached

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

About 12 of the top insurers won't even quote me for my 19 year old car, it's NCT'd every year, it's annoying but so far I have been lucky in that my current insurer hasn't upped the price by more then a couple of hundred in the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I tried Libery for a quote about 2/3 years ago I think. Car was about 10 years old, 1.4 ltr petrol. I had 7+ years no claims. Every other insurance company varied between €800 - €1300. Liberty? €3500. Needless to say I've never bothered with them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Did you try the AA I paid 400 last year on a 2005 3.0l Lexus, my renewal was 900 allright but i played hardball over a few phone calls and emails.

• Advertisement

If only insurance was as easy as buying briquettes.thanks though for that lovely piece of information
    What happens when u don't fall inside anyone's demographic?

Move country?????

Maybe you should :)

Or you could just call a broker and get them to do all the dirty work for you. Or maybe you could even call two...... or go wild and call four! Unless you're a 17 year old, drunk driving speeding moron in a certified wreck, you're going to hit somebodys radar.

Or you could just come on here and bitch and moan with the "poor me" babble.

Advertisement