Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art Teacher/Design Tutor career options for Second/Third levels.

Options
  • 02-03-2018 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so please let me know if this post isn't in the correct area.

I'd like to hear firsthand from anyone whose pursuing/working in art and design education. All I can find to become qualified for teaching in Art/Design is the Masters of Education in NCAD. Has anyone here completed this course or is currently studying it there? I'd like to know more about what the Masters entails and what the contact hours are like. I'll have to work part-time if I decide to enroll in the MA.

Also, all I can find about working in Secondary education seems quite pessimistic? Such as it's nearly impossible to get hired and having only an art qualification won't be helpful. Is there anyone working as a Teacher or have experience with this who can advise me?

I've a degree in Graphic Design and a BTEC in Fashion Design. I used to work with children for years and I really enjoyed it. I thought this could potentially be a way to bring the two together while having the time to continue working in design.

Any and all advice is welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

My friends in the MA in NCAD, she's really enjoying it and getting on well with her placement, shes also working part time - its not easy but doable. Getting into the course was tough despite having a fine art level 8 degree and a Masters in Fine art and a years work experience in a secondary school as art teacher/assistant while doing her masters she was only selected for the course after 3 people dropped out early in the year and spaces opened up so between now and your potential interview perhaps try and gain more experience in art teaching as its a very competitive course. Jobs are scarce but if its what you want to do then go for it although keep in mind teaching kids is allot different to teaching art as an exam based subject to teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GemmaW

Thanks for the reply. I've been organising a couple of work placements before applying so I can see for myself if it's something I'd like to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MarieBee21

Hi, I completed the course in Ncad. Hard work but really fun and interesting. Was a year long then, and part time work would have been impossible. Course is competitive- any experience will stand to you- summer camp/ scout leader/ youth work etc. The interview is v important also and your suitability/ grasp of what's involved. Several of those on my course had little teaching experience. I know from 1st hand experience this year that it was nearly impossible to get a part time (14 hrs) temp art teacher in september at my school in Dublin. I would say go for it- you will get work. Building up to full time hours seems to be the struggle for some. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement