Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Low Salt options

Options
  • 01-03-2018 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

I'm a regular cottage cheese eater. I got quite a shock when I checked the salt level on the Milbona Low Fat 300g cottage cheese.

It says .16g per 30 gram serving and that this is 3% of the "Reference Intake" of an average adult who eats 2,000 kcal/day.

I thought the 'recommended' salt intake is less than somewhere between 1,500 and 2,300mg.

I tend to eat the whole tub. Does that mean I'm already at 1,600mg and not even finished breakfast.

Shocking.......truly. :eek:

So, my question is what are low salt options sold in Lidl? Oatilicious Porridge Oats is the first one I've found at 10mg per 100g.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Adini

Salt and sodium are not the same thing! (Salt is about 40% sodium)

The recommended sodium intake is between 1500 and 2300mg per day - but nutritional labels in Ireland list salt, not sodium.

Multiply the above recommendations by 2.5 for the recommended salt intake. So somewhere around 3.75g to 6g grams of salt

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-sodium-per-day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:I've moved this into the Nutrition & Diet forum, I think it's better suited to here than Food & Drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Salts not that harmful.

You've more to worry about from sugar and excess calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

KOR101 wrote: »
    It says .16g per 30 gram serving and that this is 3% of the "Reference Intake" of an average adult who eats 2,000 kcal/day.
    That sounds about right. 3% per serve. If you are eating 10 serves, that would be 30%. Which is about what you'd expect if you're having 3 meals a day.
    I thought the 'recommended' salt intake is less than somewhere between 1,500 and 2,300mg.

Sodium, not salt. Not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Adini wrote: »
    Salt and sodium are not the same thing! (Salt is about 40% sodium)

The recommended sodium intake is between 1500 and 2300mg per day - but nutritional labels in Ireland list salt, not sodium.

Multiply the above recommendations by 2.5 for the recommended salt intake. So somewhere around 3.75g to 6g grams of salt

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-sodium-per-day
    Thanks. That really does put a better perspective on things. Reading up on this, cottage cheese is often listed as a high salt/sodium food, so not really surprising. I would often have it with toast, so it's still probably not a good idea.....at least every day. Will give the porridge a go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement