Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Morgan died 20 years ago today

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Anyone else go to the Ted house in Clare? Went a few years back, complete back arse of nowhere. You're driving a long this narrow road out in the Burren, doubting that it could actually be out there, then all of a sudden the parochial house comes into view. Exactly the same, same driveway up to it, same entrance where many a scene was shot. It's one of those powerful moments when you see a famous landmark you've known all your life, but now for the first time in real life. If I had to find a word to describe the experience, it would of course have to be, ecumenical.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What?

Poster said that he died after finishing the last show.

I am pointing out that the last show, by definition, would have been the one completed immediately prior to him dying. He kinda wasn't going to be making any additional ones..........

What made the end of series three to be definitely the last show was that he was not alive to make any more.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Poster said that he died after finishing the last show.

I am pointing out that the last show, by definition, would have been the one completed immediately prior to him dying. He kinda wasn't going to be making any additional ones..........

What made the end of series three to be definitely the last show was that he was not alive to make any more.
    The final episode was apparently always going to be the last episode ever regardless of whether Morgan had died or not according to GL & AM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

God, twenty years. I still remember being in bed and my Dad coming in to tell me he was dead - couldn't believe it.

RIP to Frank Kelly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Agricola wrote: »
    Anyone else go to the Ted house in Clare? Went a few years back, complete back arse of nowhere. You're driving a long this narrow road out in the Burren, doubting that it could actually be out there, then all of a sudden the parochial house comes into view. Exactly the same, same driveway up to it, same entrance where many a scene was shot. It's one of those powerful moments when you see a famous landmark you've known all your life, but now for the first time in real life. If I had to find a word to describe the experience, it would of course have to be, ecumenical.

If you can get up there, they actually do bookings for Cream Teas at the house. All home made and as much of it as you want. Did it once and loved it.

When I was there, I took some jars of my Mum's home made marmalade and the Beán an Tí refused to take any money off of us. Mum was tickled pink at the idea when I told her about it. As Dougal said, it's one to tell the Grandkids about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

If you can get up there, they actually do bookings for Cream Teas at the house. All home made and as much of it as you want. Did it once and loved it.

When I was there, I took some jars of my Mum's home made marmalade and the Beán an Tí refused to take any money off of us. Mum was tickled pink at the idea when I told her about it. As Dougal said, it's one to tell the Grandkids about.

Group of us went a couple of years ago, a major box tick for me, the others were initially just going along with it.

Got the obligatory 'small, far away' photos with the bikes & then in for tea.

The wee lassie serving had been one of the Hairy Babies :P

By the time we left the other lads were totally immersed, a very memorable day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

he taught us back in the day when he was doing the Live Mike

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Love Ted but Morgans genius was Scrap Saturday. Its was pretty scathing. PJ mara and Haughey a standout.

Rosenstock and Callen or whatever his name is pale in comparison. Lily livered pokes whereas Morgan went for the jugular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

valoren wrote: »
    There's no need for that! :mad: You'll be hearing from my solicitors, Corless Corless and Sweeney!

We're fine for coal thanks!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

An absolute legend who even after all these years is soundly missed he may be gone but his comedy lives on.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Sad reading this thread, he'd still only be 65 years of age and had so much to offer, we are all poorer for his loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭jelutong

Heckler wrote: »
    Love Ted but Morgans genius was Scrap Saturday. Its was pretty scathing. PJ mara and Haughey a standout.

Rosenstock and Callen or whatever his name is pale in comparison. Lily livered pokes whereas Morgan went for the jugular.

Ive been listening to the Scrap Saturday CDs over the last few days.
    Hard to beat the Mike Murphy Arts Show sketch featuring Jim Tunney "The Yellow Rose of Finglas" Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jelutong wrote: »
    Ive been listening to the Scrap Saturday CDs over the last few days.
    Hard to beat the Mike Murphy Arts Show sketch featuring Jim Kemmy, "The Yellow Rose of Finglas" Absolutely brilliant.

Not Jim Kemmy! Jim Tunney...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭jelutong

Mea culpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭elperello

jelutong wrote: »
    Mea culpa.

Me a Mexican cowboy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,725 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Dermot’s son talking to Marian Finucane right now on Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

Morgan rather overrated in my book. ...his 'comedy' rough cast and devoid of any semblance of sharp wit or sophistication.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭furiousox

Here we go....:rolleyes:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
Advertisement