Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location Settings in Eir modem D2000

Options
  • 23-02-2018 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi... I have Eir broadband & a D2000 modem; when I'm using a device connected to my wi-fi network (principally iPad pro, also iPhone 6s) it does not pick up a location, so if I open Maps (for example) I get a message "location cannot be detected" - this is irritating in Maps, but more of a problem with (in particular) the Eurosport app, which will not open if it does not detect a location. I know this is not a device issue, as they work perfectly when I'm connected to other peoples' networks.... I had this problem with my previous modem, and I got Eir to replace it with this one, but it's exactly the same....

I can get into the modem's settings, BUT I don't know which one is causing the problem.... anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Disable IPv6 would be my guess, they're able to Geolocate your v4 but if it defaults to v6 they may fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dertie bertie

ED E wrote: »
    Disable IPv6 would be my guess, they're able to Geolocate your v4 but if it defaults to v6 they may fail.

Many thanks.... have now looked at that, but it was already set at IPv4..... any other ideas?

See if this comes back with a valid area.
    https://www.maxmind.com/en/locate-my-ip-address

See if this comes back with a valid area.
    Thanks, I did that....

It shows a location which (I assume) is the server that I am being routed through (about 40kms away...) There's no problem with picking up an IP address - but the location services need a geolocation from the wireless network I'm using.... when I was with Vodafone, this was not a problem - opening Maps (on an iPad) would show a location flashing where my house is; this happens when I'm logged in to other peoples' networks, but it seems there is something in Eir modem settings that precludes this.... I just can't see what it is!! I have spent time chatting to Eir's technical support, but they tell me they've never heard of this issue.... and charged me handsomely at premium rates for the "service". I have a modem from Eir now, which is a different model than when I initially flagged the problem... but I still have the problem......

New SSID hasnt been mapped. That comes after a while. Nothing to do with your ISP, its managed by Google and Apple.

• Advertisement

New SSID hasnt been mapped. That comes after a while. Nothing to do with your ISP, its managed by Google and Apple.

Thanks... not sure I know what that means though? (sorry to be dumb!) - I had no problem at this location when I was with Vodafone (and prior to that, some years ago) with Eircom.... I've been with Eir for a couple of years now.....

It isn't just the Maps thing - in fact that's secondary; my principal issue is with the Eurosport app..... this requires a geolocation (from the device/network, not an IP address) before it will launch the app, and it's not picking one up....

Off to google SSID now......

Just looked quickly at that... maybe my modem has SSID disabled? I'm going to have a look at that later..... I think I'm getting closer to finding the problem though..... thanks....

as far as I can see, SSID is enabled... mmm...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

Can location services be disabled and enabled on iOS?

It sounds like what I'd get if I turned off my GPS on my phone.

Advertisement