Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you care about your carbon footprint?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

I'd agree with a lot of that, but the only thing is that the carbon footprint/environmental impact of a given number of people living in rich countries like ours, or the wealthier classes in the India/China etc, is many multiples that of the same number of people living in the likes of Gambia, Madagascar et al. So it's not just about population, but the consumption patterns among the wealthier (which includes you & me, whether we feel flush or not!).

It's good to see that in recent years, China has been making huge strides to decarbonise their energy usage, with over a quarter of their energy demands now met by renewables. Even India is on board with banning the internal combustion engine from sale by 2030.  Norway and Holland have set 2025 as their deadline. That doesn't address the problem with plastic waste etc, but it's better than nothing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I certainly agree with this one. In my experience all of the low wattage bulb alternatives (CFL, Halogen and LED) last a far shorter time than the white burning element bulbs that we have been used to. They are beginning to cost an arm and a leg too - very 'designer' marketing hype is now being used to increase the price of what is in the end a dimmer bulb that is not going to last anywhere near the time predicted on the package.

The regulatory compulsion to switch to low wattage alternatives before the tech had been developed properly has resulted in a situation where manufacturers can charge high prices for dim bulbs that burn out before their expected lifetime.

The consumer ends up paying through the nose again so that notional regulatory quotas and targets can be achieved. The focus needs to be changed from governments making up taxes and charges to force consumer change to providing goods and services that work properly and will encourage change because the benefits in terms of cost and performance will be obvious to anyone.

We moved into our house in 2009. The lightbulbs that were in place were halogen, and yes, one by one, they burned out in the space of the first year of us living there.
    We replaced them with LED, and haven't had to replace a single one since then. At this point, the oldest one lasted nearly 10 years.
    I can honestly say that I haven't ever seen a regular, tungsten-thread bulb with that kind of a lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Shenshen wrote: »
    We moved into our house in 2009. The lightbulbs that were in place were halogen, and yes, one by one, they burned out in the space of the first year of us living there.
    We replaced them with LED, and haven't had to replace a single one since then. At this point, the oldest one lasted nearly 10 years.
    I can honestly say that I haven't ever seen a regular, tungsten-thread bulb with that kind of a lifespan.

Those last notoriously short as well. Much shorter than the usual tungsten bulb.

I do have one LED bulb that has burnt nearly continuously since 2007 but it's only 0.8 of a watt. Are your ones with MR11 fitting and running off a 12v supply? I'd expect those to last a long time because they lack the power conversion circuit packs up in most of the other LED bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Which is pretty much the "West" or a few particularly rich cities around the world (like Singapore).

Singapore?! The place that generates 100% of its electricity from fossil fuels? Despite the sun shining nearly all the time.

They might have some extreme anti-car laws that John Gormley might approve of but that's only because you can hardly drive a car into Singapore without pushing one on the opposite end of the country into the sea.

Singapore?! The place that generates 100% of its electricity from fossil fuels? Despite the sun shining nearly all the time.

They might have some extreme anti-car laws that John Gormley might approve of but that's only because you can hardly drive a car into Singapore without pushing one on the opposite end of the country into the sea.

I spent a few weeks there at one stage (kinda Middle-class area), and every apartment block nearby had recycling bins for collection. One of the few places in Asia where I've seen that, except in the wealthy areas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Those last notoriously short as well. Much shorter than the usual tungsten bulb.

I do have one LED bulb that has burnt nearly continuously since 2007 but it's only 0.8 of a watt. Are your ones with MR11 fitting and running off a 12v supply? I'd expect those to last a long time because they lack the power conversion circuit packs up in most of the other LED bulbs

Tbh, I've no idea. We haven't had to replace any in nearly 10 years now, so I simply don't know.
    We do have a few non-LED table lamps in the bedrooms, and I can tell you exactly which ones are barrett and which ones are screw-in, as they would need to be replaced every 2 years or so.

Advertisement