Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching six nations in Dublin with a baby

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 StabiloBoss

The responses to this thread are fantastically bizarre.

OP: Lock the doors to the house, see you in 17 years and 42 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just figured out that this is awec posting under a different username.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Grab some naptime from Boots and hit Toners.

Boom.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just figured out that this is awec posting under a different username.
    I'll be at the game. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

budgemook wrote:
    Pair of baby ear protection headphones and you're grand. Life doesn't stop because a baby comes.

Not sure you can find versions which are suitable for that age. Not far off but I think they are from 3 or 4 months upwards (the baby ear protection headphones)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The back seat parenting is giving me a chuckle. Good thing I've never seen a couple in a pub on a Sunday afternoon with an infant or I'd have to scold them for being unfit parents.

Quiet suburban pub that has space for a pram and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Dont bring your baby out to a crowded bar, too many flu and other bugs going round, why would you expose your baby to that.

Cant one of you go watch the rugby, seriously life changes when you have a baby and one of you has to compromise.

tretorn wrote: »
    Dont bring your baby out to a crowded bar, too many flu and other bugs going round, why would you expose your baby to that.

Cant one of you go watch the rugby, seriously life changes when you have a baby and one of you has to compromise.
    Sure this applies to any crowded place. What are you going to do, never leave the house and put the baby in a big sterile bubble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

tretorn wrote: »

Perhaps keep the child in a plastic bubble?

Whatever about some of the other points, this is ridiculous. OP isn't talking about waving the child under folks noses in a doctor's waiting room - they're going out in public. Are you seriously suggesting that a child shouldn't be brought outside the house in winter?

A few days old and I could see the logic, but at 2.5 months that's insane. How long do you propose children be isolated from the world for - september to april? does it only apply to babies or should we extend it to 18 just to be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

BeardySi wrote: »
    Perhaps keep the child in a plastic bubble?

Whatever about some of the other points, this is ridiculous. OP isn't talking about waving the child under folks noses in a doctor's waiting room - they're going out in public. Are you seriously suggesting that a child shouldn't be brought outside the house in winter?

A few days old and I could see the logic, but at 2.5 months that's insane. How long do you propose children be isolated from the world for - september to april? does it only apply to babies or should we extend it to 18 just to be safe?

I'm expecting a kid soon. Where do i buy these bubbles?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

NIMAN wrote: »
    No, but I just wish that some parents would appreciate that a pub isn't a place for a 10 week old child just because they want a bit of craic for the game.

Once people decide to have children, they need to assess what they can and can't do any more.

I'm assuming you don't have kids so. At 10 weeks old a baby will be fine in a quiet pub, which is exactly what the OP is enquiring about. They will probably sleep for most of it, maybe need a quick feed. But that's all. You'd be surprised what they can, and do, sleep through.

Having kids isn't some sort of jail sentence where you have to totally change your life. And if you're not having an impact on others, your baby is warm, fed and clean then you're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

First time Dad of a healthy, thriving 10 month old here. Some complete and utter nonsense throughout this thread. Some posters would have you believe a child = prison sentence, or your child will contract the bubonic plague in any public environment.

Some sentiments are right though, OP. I wouldn't advise you, your partner and baby to go into Temple Bar to watch the match. If you live in the suburbs, then, most likely, a local bar won't be too boisterous. If you're in the city, you'll most likely have to find somewhere outside the crowds to watch the game. You should get the impression of the clientele of a bar when you pop your head through the door.

Some posters may mean well, but, speaking from experience, it can be important for first time parents to get out and enjoy life, within reason. In my opinion, the OP, partner and baby going to a suitable bar for a game, which lasts less than two hours, is certainly within reason.

Enjoy your day and congrats on the new addition to your family!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

....... wrote: »
    ah come on, should we ban smokers from entering our houses if there's a baby around?
    Buer wrote: »
    The back seat parenting is giving me a chuckle. Good thing I've never seen a couple in a pub on a Sunday afternoon with an infant or I'd have to scold them for being unfit parents.
    this baby is practically 3 months. anyway, probably no need from headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

OP, as some have mentioned, either a quiet village bar or a hotel is the way to go. We regularly had our little one out and about in bars when getting food, so having a match on changes nothing.

Maybe somewhere like the bar in the Arlington Hotel? Its huge, a big screen and lots of tellies, plenty of places to walk the baby around if he / she gets upset, and not too noisy that time of day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm assuming you don't have kids so. At 10 weeks old a baby will be fine in a quiet pub, which is exactly what the OP is enquiring about. They will probably sleep for most of it, maybe need a quick feed. But that's all. You'd be surprised what they can, and do, sleep through.

Having kids isn't some sort of jail sentence where you have to totally change your life. And if you're not having an impact on others, your baby is warm, fed and clean then you're good.

Such wisdom accumulated over your many many weeks as a parent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

molloyjh wrote: »

I have 3 if you need to know.

And when my oldest was 10 weeks old, the last thing on my mind was getting out to a pub to watch a rugby match.

But hey, each to their own. I accepted that things would change when I started to bring kids into this world, but if others still want the social life they had, so be it. Its not a jail sentence, but you have to accept you can no longer do all the things you'd do when childless. I know plenty of folk who couldn't accept this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

But hey, each to their own. I accepted that things would change when I started to bring kids into this world, but if others still want the social life they had, so be it.
    You are going to get a nose bleed up there on that horse.

Equating going out on a Saturday afternoon to a pub to see a match with the social life of a childless person is just silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I have 3 if you need to know.

And when my oldest was 10 weeks old, the last thing on my mind was getting out to a pub to watch a rugby match.

But hey, each to their own. I accepted that things would change when I started to bring kids into this world, but if others still want the social life they had, so be it. Its not a jail sentence, but you have to accept you can no longer do all the things you'd do when childless. I know plenty of folk who couldn't accept this.

He's not talking about taking the child on a 24 hour bender. He specifically asked for a quiet bar, where he could relax and watch the match for a couple of hours without distressing the baby.

The very fact that he's questioning where, if anywhere, might be suitable tells you he's fully aware he can't do all the things he used to when childless.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

If he's already known for not getting his round in leave him at home.
    Never too young to start learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Buer wrote: »
    You are going to get a nose bleed up there on that horse.

Equating going out on a Saturday afternoon to a pub to see a match with the social life of a childless person is just silly.

Maybe it is....but the OPs child is only 10 weeks and they can't find the willpower to watch the game at home.

I'd see through it if the baby was older. In the 1st couple of months of parenthood I would guess (my opinion) is that most new parents wouldn't be bothered looking to head out to watch a game, instead settling for the house.

But as I said, each to their own.

Such wisdom accumulated over your many many weeks as a parent :D

What can I say, I'm a natural! :D
    ....... wrote: »

Much and all as I understand the logic, if you were to really take it that seriously then you wouldn't leave the house with a child. You're far more likely to pass someone actively smoking on the street than in a pub so the "dangers" in a pub are minimal compared to the outside world. There has to be a level of common sense here.

And the whole hand washing type stuff is for when people are holding babies. Unless they plan on passing him/her around the pub then that stuff isn't a factor at all.
    ...if others still want the social life they had...

Nobody has even hinted at anything remotely like this. Before I had my daughter I'd happily be out until 2 in the morning getting a load of pints in me after a game. That's a complete world away from what the OP is talking about. There's a lot of high horse behaviour here based on little more than a need to judge others. Popping into a pub in the afternoon for a couple of hours to watch some sport simply isn't that big a deal at all.

Maybe it is....but the OPs child is only 10 weeks and they can't find the willpower to watch the game at home.

There is zero need for them to do this. The baby isn't going to suffer for being out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The Brickyard in Dundrum. Literally above the Luas stop.

It's a lovely Gastropub with a restaurant part. Plenty of space for a pram. Dundrum town centre is right next door to complete the day out.

And don't mind the people judging you here. There is nothing wrong with taking an infant out in the afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lodger81

Ignore the negativity and go out and enjoy the match. As mentioned a quiet suburban pub or indeed hotel is best, have done it myself and the baby will generally sleep through. I brought my then 5 month old to a football match (with ear protection i might add) and the comments I got from some people was ridiculous. Everybody has their own ideas on parenting which is fair enough, what's not right is to bully others into adopting your own beliefs. No parent is going to actively put their child in danager.

Think the OP has their answer now and can go get parenting advice from those so keen to give it elsewhere if they want.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement