Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Late Feb/ Early March Technical Discussion only MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

GFS data for Dublin Airport in a handy chart
    EIDW

Shannon Airport:
    EINN

The GFS usually over estimates the dew points by a degree or two in Dublin, so keep that in mind. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The ECM went in a different direction than GFS or GEM which had downplayed the low coming up from Biscay, instead ECM brings the centre right into the southeast of Ireland and loops it back around to the southwest, but slowly pushing the cold air back north.

If that verified, heavy snow would change to rain across much of the country over the weekend of 3rd-4th. A compromise between the models would bring the loop back to last night's scenario. I wouldn't consider this outcome locked in at 144-168 hours and other guidance that much different.

Snowfall potential overall for the cold spell is still spread over a large range. For Dublin and much of central Leinster, I think the 25% intervals are 5 cm (lowest prob), 12 cm (25%), 25 cm (50%), 40 cm (75%) and 60 cm (max). For Cork I would go with slightly lower numbers, maybe 4, 10, 20, 30 and 45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The ECM went in a different direction than GFS or GEM which had downplayed the low coming up from Biscay, instead ECM brings the centre right into the southeast of Ireland and loops it back around to the southwest, but slowly pushing the cold air back north.

If that verified, heavy snow would change to rain across much of the country over the weekend of 3rd-4th. A compromise between the models would bring the loop back to last night's scenario. I wouldn't consider this outcome locked in at 144-168 hours and other guidance that much different.

Snowfall potential overall for the cold spell is still spread over a large range. For Dublin and much of central Leinster, I think the 25% intervals are 5 cm (lowest prob), 12 cm (25%), 25 cm (50%), 40 cm (75%) and 60 cm (max). For Cork I would go with slightly lower numbers, maybe 4, 10, 20, 30 and 45.

That doesn’t include the Friday night potential snow (and potential rain) event, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

All included in the estimates ... being conservative, I could imagine even higher totals over five days but this is what I am going to forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ECM 12z snow depth by Friday in inches. Don't take too seriously ;)

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/snow-depth-in/20180302-1200z.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

ECM 12z snow depth by Friday in inches. Don't take too seriously ;)

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/snow-depth-in/20180302-1200z.html

And they said the ECM was a bad run. :eek: I'd happily take that even it were to thaw soon afterwards. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I know it's impossible to predict at the moment but do you think that low ploughing into the southeast bringing milder air is the likely outcome? I've heard that historically, models tend to underestimate how hard it is to shift cold so does that mean it is more likely than not that the low tracks further south than predicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The metrogram for ECMWF for Kilkenny is the best I’ve ever seen, max below 0c with light precip showing from Tuesday afternoon up to as far it goes Thursday Afternoon.

After that is FI but interesting to see how it looks Monday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I know it's impossible to predict at the moment but do you think that low ploughing into the southeast bringing milder air is the likely outcome? I've heard that historically, models tend to underestimate how hard it is to shift cold so does that mean it is more likely than not that the low tracks further south than predicted?

Best guess and (that’s if it makes it) is it will stall somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

With the jet stream smashed and part of it down towards Spain direction, how is it possible for the low to move north against the flow of the jet in that area.
    Thoughts anyone

• Advertisement

Latest ECM run a good bit milder than its ensemble mean apparently (although upper temperature still rises overall).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Cold air is more dense and harder to shift, I fully expect the models to be far to progressive with the Atlantic today. Watch that change in the next 48 hours.

I'm a novice (though I've been model watching for 2 years!) so take this with a pinch of salt but what I think will happen is that the low won't quite make it up here. Remember, it will be bitterly cold here so that cold should weaken the system and it won't be able to get very far north. I think something similar happened in March 2013? In fact, that front that gave some snow in the east a few Mondays was almost killed by the cold. The cold predicted for this week is far more intense so should we not see something similar this time?

Just a reminder that I'm a novice and I'm not sure if what I'm saying is 100% accurate so correct me if I'm wrong please. Thanks in advance 🙂.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Cold air is more dense and harder to shift, I fully expect the models to be far to progressive with the Atlantic today. Watch that change in the next 48 hours.
    In what way is there too much progression? By extension if that aspect were true, we'd also miss any low hitting us from the southeast by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

In what way is there too much progression? By extension if that aspect were true, we'd also miss any low hitting us from the southeast by the end of the week.

I'm thinking it's more likely to completely miss us than blow mild air up across the country, a subsequent low might do that but I doubt the first one will. What we want is the inbetween solution where we are left under the colder air and the low nudges up close enough and stalls dumping copious amounts of snow on us and it not immediately melting as the low pulls back south east - that is in a perfect world though so we will have to see how it plays out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Can I just check Model Run "actual" times?

00z is 330
    06z is 930
    12z is 1530
    18z is 2130

Where do the other models output times slot into the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

00z is 330
    06z is 930
    12z is 1530
    18z is 2130

That's correct for GFS and a few others

ECM only runs twice a day and takes longer to filter through, coming at 1830 and 0630 ish

00z is 330
    06z is 930
    12z is 1530
    18z is 2130

That's for the GFS. The ECM comes out at 6am and 6pm, UKMO around the same times as the GFS (at 3:30am and pm), the ICON slightly beforehand (about half an hour I think).

Snow piling into the south coast Thursday night on the latest ICON.

image.png.56314e705713b52d57953307fefaba25.png

I think the UKMO 12Z comes out around 3:50pm. If that's the case then one can assume the 0z comes out at 3:50am.

• Advertisement

ICON is having a very funny run. It's showing rain under -12 uppers on Wednesday.

iconeu_uk1-42-96-0.png?24-22

iconeu_uk1-16-93-0.png?24-22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

sdanseo wrote: »
    ICON is having a very funny run. It's showing rain under -12 uppers on Wednesday.

Does ICON not only show precipitation, not type of precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

No, sure it's showing precipitation type in those very charts

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭adam240610

There's snow shown in that chart on the upper right corner.
    Does not look right at all

No, I thought it had 2 types of chart, the "Précipiations" (not showing type) and the "Type Précip." (red and blue)

But the first chart with blue/green colour schemes also has the white hatch markings and corresponds with the red/blue "type precip" chart.

It's a bit odd. There is zero chance that anything falling out of the sky when it's -2 on the ground can be rain, surely?

For clarity, this is the ICON-EU as opposed to the ICON/DWD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I think it has shat itself

Not to worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

The RTE forecast sounded good but I noticed it had heavy rain down for the west on Thursday in the final snapshot of the week ahead.
    That must be freezing rain surely?

There's something just doesn't look right about the low coming from the south as shown on GFS.

It's intense enough, but moving very slowly and just too perfect of a circle. Just looks completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

GFS looks as if its going a similar way to the 12Z ecm?

18_129_mslp850.png?cb=398

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

The low seems to be coming up from the south, sitting over us for a while and then heading back out to the Atlantic?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement