Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Late Feb/ Early March Technical Discussion only MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,615 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Icon wants to keep the cold going into next week, with a 12-15hrs dumping of heavy snow across Munster and much of Leinster, then cumulating with snow showers for the rest of the weekend. GFS slides the low further west, but precip hasnt changed and has most of the country pasted with white stuff, with sleet/rain following on through the weekend. Two very different low movements though.

Interesting commutes on Friday :pac:

102-574UK.GIF?26-12

jdcv94 wrote: »
    I'm still a beginner at reading these charts but I love the weather, people have said before that it's bad for snow if this low moves west like it is on that chart. How come this will bring crippling snow in this case?

The flow is continental which is what we want - keep surface temps and dew points low. The fronts are thrown up over us ahead of the system.

Perfect mix.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

GEM run this afternoon looks pretty bad. Wants thaw starting Friday morning.

UKMO still looks ok until Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

ECM rollout should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

GEM run this afternoon looks pretty bad. Wants thaw starting Friday morning.

UKMO still looks ok until Saturday

It's not great, but it's also not far off showing a prolonged battleground scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The GFS is still showing "The Beast from the East" getting a "Clout from the South" on Friday.

gfs-0-90.png?12

gfs-2-102.png?12

I still don't trust the GFS above the ECM no matter how much I want to on this run, not sure any of them are handling things well just yet

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

gabeeg wrote: »
    It's not great, but it's also not far off showing a prolonged battleground scenario

For sure, all models definitely showing overnight snow Thursday into Friday morning still, which is pretty amazing considering all the models have the low moving different directions, but the end result is still the same for us.

The only thing they dont agree on is what comes after precip hits landfall. Will it stall? Will it turn to rain as it passes up? Will it slide west/east and leave the cold digging in through the weekend? I certainly wouldnt bet on any of it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

ECM rollout should be interesting

ECM runs have been fairly poor over the past day or so as regards the track of the low, here’s hoping it’ll switch over though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Met office issued a Northern Ireland wide snow warning for Friday. They currently expect it to travel north judging by that.

Hirlam picking up some real intensity in the showers on Wednesday

hirlamuk-1-46-0.png?26-17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just catching up on the models after school, correct me if I am wrong (Please do I am learning so much so fast! :) ), but it looks more severe for both the south and east coasts on the latest models, meaning both Cork and Dublin even versus yesterday? The snow which could fall along with the winds look pretty severe. Given that Dublin already has lying snow, this looks strong. Models also seem to be showing less warming to the south aswell (which I am happy about!)

HIRLAM was very accurate with the wind storms this winter and considering the system was developed by Scandanavians, I believe its snow accuracy will be good too

EDIT: HIRLAM for the next 48 hours looks great. Only had a look at it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Snow grains continuing in Tallaght. Snow grains due to the very shallow convection, limited by the inversion. Cloud tops are only arpund 1500-1800 metres. When the inversion shifts away later we will see the convection deepen and get down to the business end of proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

hirlamuk-1-46-0.png?26-17

Can you link that page? i want to know the intensity its showing for Dublin tuesday night into wednesday ty!

Vxlks wrote: »
    Can you link that page? i want to know the intensity its showing for Dublin tuesday night into wednesday ty!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/hirlam.php?map=430

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Looks like a lot of activity over the South East on this one again. Curious why Met Eireann have left Wexford off their current Orange alert although its obviously an evolving situation. Seems to be directly in the line of fire on a lot of models.

https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork Aiport reporting light snow showers in their TAF forecast (30% possibility 8am tomorrow) :

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/ireland.php?icao=EICK (find this page great for translating taf)

TAF: EICK 261100Z 2612/2712 11018KT 9999 FEW020 TEMPO 2612/2617 11019G29KT BECMG 2617/2620 08010KT PROB30 TEMPO 2700/2708 5000 -SHSN SCT018CB BECMG 2704/2706 05012KT

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork Aiport reporting light snow showers in their TAF forecast :

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/ireland.php?icao=EICK (find this page great for translating taf)

TAF: EICK 261100Z 2612/2712 11018KT 9999 FEW020 TEMPO 2612/2617 11019G29KT BECMG 2617/2620 08010KT PROB30 TEMPO 2700/2708 5000 -SHSN SCT018CB BECMG 2704/2706 05012KT

They're forecasting a 30% possibility from midnight to 8am tomorrow of that occuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I note the GFS is giving very little back edge snow on the front despite another shift westwards.

Probably better off, as it would likely freeze on impact and cause havok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Thanks! Just what the doctor ordered (along with a prolonged stay in bed and out of sight order for ICON...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

GFS scenario looks a bit counter-intuitive, if the low were to miss that far south, cold air would probably not retreat that far north. GEM looks a bit more realistic with a similar evolution, looking at it I thought of "three strikes and you're out" for the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

The Dublin airport TAF says there are CB's about. I thought there wasn't enough oomph for that scale of convection?

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/ireland.php?icao=EIDW

Tomorrow wouldn't be great for the Dundalk/North Louth area in terms of streamers (NE wind direction no good for here). Wednesday looks better though towards the end of that Hirlam run if the wind shifts ESE.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Euro4 just out for 9am Wed.

18022809_2612.gif

ECM looking good for Wednesday 12pm, looks like this mornings Thursday 12am chart, bigger cold pool behind too

ECM0-48.GIF?26-0

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

ECM0-96.GIF?26-0

The eagle probably had seen this, warmer uppers but heavy snow initially I assume.

The "Clout from the South" looks on course 96 hours out on this run :(

ECM1-96.GIF?26-0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ECM0-96.GIF?26-0

The eagle probably had seen this, warmer uppers but heavy snow initially I assume.

I can guarantee the eagle didn't see this chart and also it's a decent chart- an improvement from this AM I believe ?

I can guarantee the eagle didn't see this chart and also it's a decent chart- an improvement from this AM I believe ?

A lot of snow alright

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/significant-weather/20180302-0000z.html

• Advertisement

Close up of that +96 hrs chart. Looks decent for the midlands, east and north for me.

442970.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement