Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that use a great song in the opening credits

Options
  • 22-02-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

I like when a good song plays through the opening credits of a movie with good effect and sets you into the movie this is mostly done in comedy’s most recently I watched the young offenders and heard paper planes by M.I.A. which works great in the movie.

Skyfall by Adele was another good one great song and great intro to the movie

Anyone got any good suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Deadpool, actually while Deadpool wasnt an MCU movie, Marvel in general really do a good job of the opening track setting the movie's tone.
    Trainspotting
    Die Hard with a vengance
    Watchmen
    Grosse Point Blank are all movies that stand out in my memory as having really strong opening tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

banie01 wrote: »
    Deadpool, actually while Deadpool wasnt an MCU movie, Marvel in general really do a good job of the opening track setting the movie's tone.
    Trainspotting
    Die Hard with a vengance
    Watchmen
    Grosse Point Blank are all movies that stand out in my memory as having really strong opening tracks.

Yes the Deadpool one was great so funny that opening:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've brought it up in threads of this ilk before, but always worth celebrating the two-minute masterpiece of the late, great Satoshi Kon in this regard. In his last completed film Paprika, he offered up the great opening credit sequence of the 21st century. The way it treats screen space and time as storytelling devices and barriers to smash through; the fact that it wordlessly explains the film's high-concept setup; the way the text is almost projected onto the environment; the sheer wit and inventiveness of the imagery. And to top it off, a song that is basically joy and energy incarnate.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Top Gun and The Lion King. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Layer Cake - She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult.

Audi RS6 (estate version for the sake of dignity)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtug7J592E8

Followed later by a shockingly violent scene to the soundtrack of Duran Duran Ordinary World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6WEatV1oEc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I liked the one in Hackers (Orbital - Halycon):

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Across 110th Street'

or alternatively

'Jackie Brown'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Drive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The Snapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Bit of a crap answer but The Pink Panther score by Henry Mancini is wonderful. The tone is perfect for the films.

Honourable shout outs to the recent version of Dawn of the Dead (Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash) , Do The Right Thing, Apocalypse Now and Saturday Night Fever.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Little Green Bag at the start of Reservoir Dogs. Even Chris Penn almost looked cool walking down the street to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Mean Streets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (US version)

A fantastic cover of Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song featuring Karen O and Trent Reznor with a fantastic music video type sequence to go with it. I remember seeing it in the cinema, the and thinking Yeah! I am ready for this movie.

More should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Can't You Hear Me Knocking by The Rolling Stones used as the opening for Blow is one that stands out, for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

True Romance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The one that springs to mind is apocalypse now .....

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭KrakityJones

Don't think it was right at the very start but the intro scene in the Departed - Shipping up to Boston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

QT knows how to open a film:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

To Live and Die in LA and that brilliant Wang Chung track. "I'm getting too old for this $hit"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭banie01

(Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash)

I thought this track's use in Logan was excellent, but alas it was at the end ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Human traffic

(Fatboy slim ) remind me of my youth going clubbing and talking ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The Battle of Algiers intro from Ennio Morricone - functionally sets the tone and mood suberbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

You could also choose many of the Bond movies (but definitely not Die Another Day):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Gimme Shelter in The Departed

• Advertisement

Advertisement