Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squonker

Options
  • 22-02-2018 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

It was my birthday last week so I have another excuse to buy something new. I'm looking at a dead rabbit single coil squonk RDA. https://www.fasttech.com/product/9626035-authentic-hellvape-dead-rabbit-sq-bf-rda

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should pair it with? A few of the guys here in work have the GBox, but it's massive. Since the dead rabbit is a single coil I won't have to be throwing a lot of Watts at it so looking primarily at a single battery squonker, regulated only. Any suggestions? The vt inbox looks decent enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

TinCool wrote: »
    It was my birthday last week so I have another excuse to buy something new. I'm looking at a dead rabbit single coil squonk RDA. https://www.fasttech.com/product/9626035-authentic-hellvape-dead-rabbit-sq-bf-rda

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should pair it with? A few of the guys here in work have the GBox, but it's massive. Since the dead rabbit is a single coil I won't have to be throwing a lot of Watts at it so looking primarily at a single battery squonker, regulated only. Any suggestions? The vt inbox looks decent enough.

VT inbox is an excellent choice, DNA board,great battery life for a single 18650. Plenty of authentic spares available,panels, bottles etc. No experience of the Dead Rabbit but only good things being said about it.

http://ibb.co/cCThax

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

This isn't too bad either...
    https://www.fasttech.com/product/9594600
    I posted a review of it on the product page, but the main point is cheap and cheerful and works out of the box.
    The included RDA is not that bad now that I have tried it either. Worth a punt don't forget coupon code on checkout - REDPACKET for 10% off which is good until for the next couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

judas1369 wrote: »
    This isn't too bad either...
    https://www.fasttech.com/product/9594600
    I posted a review of it on the product page, but the main point is cheap and cheerful and works out of the box.
    The included RDA is not that bad now that I have tried it either. Worth a punt don't forget coupon code on checkout - REDPACKET for 10% off which is good until for the next couple of hours.

Cheers judas, that does look nice and neat all right, but I'm looking at regulated ones only. I have an aversion to mechanical mods. I've used them in the past but I'm just fearful of them exploding in my face. BTW, where do you get notification of fasttech codes? I order from there quite regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

On the site go to Community-Customer Forums-Promotions
    https://www.fasttech.com/forums/promotions

They appear for various holidays and can be from 5 to 15% off, although usually 10%.
    Sometimes you will find a higher priced product with this on the top of the page-
    The actual price is so fabulous we can't show it!
    Enter coupon code MAP in the shopping cart page to see our unbeatable price.

MAP is Manufacturers Agreed Price. For example this is a very good although big/heavy dual battery squonker-
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10029099/9616313-authentic-geekvape-gbox-squonker-200w-tc-vw-apv
    put the map code into have coupon on checkout and it knocks $27.24 off the list price.
    I am currently using the Therion 75c squonker from Lost Vape and it is truly superb. Sadly now being discontinued for the next big thing I guess.

I've got a clatter of squonkers but if you are looking for a regulated one that doesn't break the bank take a look at the Pico Squeeze. It doesn't have a screen or buttons to control your wattage etc, so a lot of people think it is mechanical however it does have a board that has protection circuitry built in that gives you this-
    Direct output voltage: The output voltage changes automatically according to the battery level. The higher the battery level is, the higher the output voltage is.
    Reverse polarity protection.
    USB charging.
    The only thing is you can't really use an RDA bigger than 22mm.
    I like these so much that I have four of them!

This is a link-
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10025407/5517604-authentic-eleaf-pico-squeeze-50w-18650-mechanical

Other vendors obviously available!
    Hope this helps.

Cheers for the info Judas.

• Advertisement

I went ahead and ordered a pico squeeze and a dead rabbit off fasttech. Now I'll just have to forget and wait.

I got my squeeze and dead rabbit today. Stuck a SS coil in there. Came out at around .5 ohms. Filled it up with some just jam original. It's well nice, although I thought flavour wise I'd be getting a bit more than I am. What kind of single coil should I be putting in there? It may just be a case of vapers tongue. I was quite surprised at how small the squeeze is. It's super dinky. It's nice in the hand and your thumb rests quite naturally on the bottle. I'll report back towards the end of the week, but so far so good. Cheers for the info judas.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

I got my squeeze and dead rabbit today. Stuck a SS coil in there. Came out at around .5 ohms. Filled it up with some just jam original. It's well nice, although I thought flavour wise I'd be getting a bit more than I am. What kind of single coil should I be putting in there? It may just be a case of vapers tongue. I was quite surprised at how small the squeeze is. It's super dinky. It's nice in the hand and your thumb rests quite naturally on the bottle. I'll report back towards the end of the week, but so far so good. Cheers for the info judas.
    Ordered the same combo a few days back, partially inspired by this thread.
    Looking forward to trying it.
    Interested also on the coil recommendations

Just wondering if you have any issues with the Rabbit fitting on the Pico, the Pico is 23mm,Rabbit 24mm and the battery cap could be a hinderance?

Yeah, I'm wondering about coils. The SS coil in there is doing a good job. Have gone through nearly 3 squeeze bottles of just jam and the coil still looks as fresh as when I originally put it in there so happy days. I think I need a beefier coil with a lower resistence. I'm thinking some kind of flat nichrome. No clue on gauge though. Anyone any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Just wondering if you have any issues with the Rabbit fitting on the Pico, the Pico is 23mm,Rabbit 24mm and the battery cap could be a hinderance?

The Squonking version of dead rabbit (https://www.ecigone.co.uk/dead-rabbit-22mm-sq-bf-rda-hellvape) is 22mm. So, no issues with it fitting on the squeeze.

Yeah, I'm wondering about coils. The SS coil in there is doing a good job. Have gone through nearly 3 squeeze bottles of just jam and the coil still looks as fresh as when I originally put it in there so happy days. I think I need a beefier coil with a lower resistence. I'm thinking some kind of flat nichrome. No clue on gauge though. Anyone any suggestions?

Ni80 24AWG 9wraps 3mm ID will give you 0.3 dual coil.
    Ni80 24AWG 5wraps 2.5mm ID will give you 0.3 single coil.

Good selection of wire here
    http://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/products/Nickel-Chrome-80-20--NI8020--Wire.html

The Squonking version of dead rabbit (https://www.ecigone.co.uk/dead-rabbit-22mm-sq-bf-rda-hellvape) is 22mm. So, no issues with it fitting on the squeeze.

Ahhh deadly, overhang is one of my pet hates :mad:

Ahhh deadly, overhang is one of my pet hates :mad:

Yes, no overhang whatsoever. Looks quite nice on there I must say.

Ni80 24AWG 9wraps 3mm ID will give you 0.3 dual coil.
    Ni80 24AWG 5wraps 2.5mm ID will give you 0.3 single coil.

Good selection of wire here
    http://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/products/Nickel-Chrome-80-20--NI8020--Wire.html

Cheers Dr Bill. Ordered myself a spool of Ni80 24AWG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I won a Pulse kit from a FB group [TVP] - it'll be my first squonk mod and have been thinking on what might be the best coil set up for it. What's the story with this Ni80 wire? I hear it's nothing like the old crap Nickel wire, it can be used in all modes? It's perfectly safe for mech mods?

What is the best overall resistance for a single battery mech also? I normally stay in the 0.25 - 0.4 range in my RTAs, I'm guessing this would be just fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I won a Pulse kit from a FB group [TVP] - it'll be my first squonk mod and have been thinking on what might be the best coil set up for it. What's the story with this Ni80 wire? I hear it's nothing like the old crap Nickel wire, it can be used in all modes? It's perfectly safe for mech mods?

What is the best overall resistance for a single battery mech also? I normally stay in the 0.25 - 0.4 range in my RTAs, I'm guessing this would be just fine?

I would use 0.25 as a max,lower ohms will work much better on a single battery mech...

I would use 0.25 as a max,lower ohms will work much better on a single battery mech...

Max as in, lowest, or highest? 0.3 - 0.4 is too high then? I can build 0.25 no bother, I think many of those fancier pre-made coils are available at 0.25 [per coil] too, single coil alien or so might be the job then

Max as in, lowest, or highest? 0.3 - 0.4 is too high then? I can build 0.25 no bother, I think many of those fancier pre-made coils are available at 0.25 [per coil] too, single coil alien or so might be the job then

Max as in highest,I get a great vape around 0.1 to 0.15

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Steve666

Max as in highest,I get a great vape around 0.1 to 0.15

If you're comfortable doing that, then well and good, but a fully charged 18650 will try to discharge 42 amps into a .1 ohm coil, which no battery is safely able to achieve. Unless I've misunderstood you...?

• Advertisement

Steve666 wrote: »
    If you're comfortable doing that, then well and good, but a fully charged 18650 will try to discharge 42 amps into a .1 ohm coil, which no battery is safely able to achieve. Unless I've misunderstood you...?

Many single batt mods can fit 20700 batteries [like the Pulse, but I will use 18650 for now as they are all I have], though I'm not sure that makes a big difference. Looking at the OHM's law calculator I would feel safest above 0.2, 0.25 looks fine for my vape style. Assuming an 18650 offers 3.6v, @0.25Ω you're pulling just under 15A in around 52w

At 0.18Ω you are bang on 20A, 72w. This will dip as the battery powers down of course. I wouldn't like to push a single battery past that personally. Not in an unregulated mod. Some of the Sony and Samsung batts are capable of 30A continuous though, and would be fine at 0.15

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Steve666

Ya, I reckon staying a bit safe is the best idea. Tbh 0.1 ohm is probably going to be fine - a
    decent battery rated for 25A continuous can probably handle 40A pulsing safe enough. But it's still toeing the line of the danger zone. I reckon that the main thing to consider is battery life - at that rate you'd be changing batteries all day.

Get a Sony VTC5A battery, it has a true 25 Amp rating, a dual ss coil at 0.18 will draw 23.3 amps from your Sony and is safely within it's capabilities, ss will give you a fast ramp up in a mech,more so than Clapton or any of the fancier coils available which I find notoriously slow to heat. That battery and build should give you a very satisfying vape. Congrats btw.

Steve666 wrote: »

I decided to check the resistances on 5 of my dual coil rda's & they are not showing the same resistances on 5 completely different mods I tried as well,I even tried them on 2 of my ohm testers & the variation between resistances is a lot.
    All 5 rda's are showing between 0.1 & 0.19,I am using 30amp continues batteries,so I reckon I am safe enough using them with mechs.

The big problem now is,which device do I trust to read the resistances,I'll google & see if a multimeter can give me a more accurate reading.

The ohms law app should explain about which tester should we use to read these resistances. (maybe it does & I missed it):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

A variation from .1 to .19 is huge and especially if happening on 5 different mods. Check your coils and make sure the post screws are caught properly and that they are tight also.

Get a Sony VTC5A battery, it has a true 25 Amp rating, a dual ss coil at 0.18 will draw 23.3 amps from your Sony and is safely within it's capabilities, ss will give you a fast ramp up in a mech,more so than Clapton or any of the fancier coils available which I find notoriously slow to heat. That battery and build should give you a very satisfying vape. Congrats btw.

I have 2 of these that I used in a dual batt mod, think I'll use them for the Pulse only. I used to use SS wire a lot, but wasn't finding it much better than plain kanthal, must get some more - cheers

I have 2 of these that I used in a dual batt mod, think I'll use them for the Pulse only. I used to use SS wire a lot, but wasn't finding it much better than plain kanthal, must get some more - cheers

Kanthal will do fine also, did you get the Pulse 24 rda with it?

Kanthal will do fine also, did you get the Pulse 24 rda with it?

Yeah full kit, it never arrived today sadly, the guy posted it yesterday first class .... An Post strikes yet again :/ Should have it Monday though. All black, RDA and mod

Yeah full kit, it never arrived today sadly, the guy posted it yesterday first class .... An Post strikes yet again :/ Should have it Monday though. All black, RDA and mod

The rda is a fantastic little piece,very flavoursome vape from that build I mentioned earlier and believe it or not I've the last of a Long Gone Day mix in the bottle.

• Advertisement

http://ibb.co/gaC3vS

Pulse on the right, Athena on the left.

Advertisement