Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What in the actual f**k?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Why do judges take into account factors that are not part of the offence?
    I suppose the 70 year old was too old to be a promising football player so they had to find something irrelevant to pad out their case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

If you are using a person who is ill as a mitigating factor to get off a sentence, what would happen if the same person had a load of scumbags criminals as family members? If this man had a wife who was a jailbird would we use it as an excuse to jail him? I very much doubt it.

It should be a reason for him to behave responsibly not as carte blanche to kill teenagers on his way home from the pub.

Like I said, he should have beem jailed. But nobody should feel happy at a vulnerable family member suffering because of it. It’s an all round crappy situation.

He should have behaved responsibly but he didn’t. Then what?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I have to say the government may as well fu*k there anti drink driving campaigns out the window,
    The judge should be ashamed, Honestly its horse sh*t about his sick wife, does that matter to the poor lad's family, what state is he in to look after her if he's 3 times over the limit, Seems the anti drink driving ad's should read only if your male between 17 and 50

True.

If she is being used, quite literally , as his get out of jail free card, Why was he down the pub and not at home with her?
    THIS 110%
    if he is the sole person to luck after her , he is putting himself in danger driving home 3 times over the limit and not for the first time, The clown should be locked up and the key thrown away , The judge should be ashamed its just mental in this day and age the Judges have no one to answer to

diomed wrote: »
    I suppose the 70 year old was too old to be a promising football player so they had to find something irrelevant to pad out their case.
    Again this really gets to me, They use something that does not have any part of the offence to get him off  But if its someone is on trial with a string of similar conviction's your told you can not take them into account,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

So if a guy has multiple previous convictions for drink driving, that shouldn't be relevant in sentencing?

External factors can and should be taken into account when sentencing someone.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »

So if a guy has multiple previous convictions for drink driving, that shouldn't be relevant in sentencing?

External factors can and should be taken into account when sentencing someone.
    That's his point, the previous convictions for similar actions should be taken into account ,
    He means why on earth is his sick wife taken into account when its totally separate from his actions of breaking the law,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Well we heard last week that a judge had to bail a repeat violent offender because there was no room for him in the prison system. The bastard used to attack people in shops with a pole. This 70 year old, old bollocks that he is for drink driving, I would prefer to see him put under house arrest and banned from driving so that his prison cell could be given to the scumbag with scores of priors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Surely we'll be hearing from OAPs around the country on this one giving out about ageism, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Like I said, he should have beem jailed. But nobody should feel happy at a vulnerable family member suffering because of it. It’s an all round crappy situation.

He should have behaved responsibly but he didn’t. Then what?

I don't think anyone said they were happy about it.

The simple fact is that this man committed a crime worthy of imprisonment and used his sick wife to get off. It's not her fault. IT'S HIS. All of it.

Chrongen wrote: »

Well we heard last week that a judge had to bail a repeat violent offender because there was no room for him in the prison system. The bastard used to attack people in shops with a pole. This 70 year old, old bollocks that he is for drink driving, I would prefer to see him put under house arrest and banned from driving so that his prison cell could be given to the scumbag with scores of priors.
    One of the two you mentioned has killed someone and one hasn't,
    Stop looking at there age and start looking at there crime,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is his second offence and as he'd over 101mg/100ml the minimum penalty for the drunk driving was 4 years disqualification.

So on top of that he got just another years disqualification.

And a suspended sentence , which only kicks in if he is caught drink driving again.

I can't see how that sort of sentencing will deter anyone who already drink drives. This is not a wake up call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

Your Face wrote: »
    The judge said the case “deserves” a custodial sentence but he had to be mindful of Collins’ elderly housebound wife

FFS I'm sick of judges giving people lenient sentences due to family commitments, Collins should have thought of his wife before he drove drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

bear1 wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dad-tells-of-being-forced-to-leave-dead-son-on-roadside-467372.html

Collins, who had a previous drink drive conviction from 2006, pleaded guilty to driving a car with excess alcohol — 140 mgs of alcohol per 100 mls of blood at a time when the limit was 50 mgs.

The 70 year-old, of The Bungalow, Threegneeves, Leap, Co Cork, also pleaded guilty to charges of driving without due care and attention causing Stefan’s death.

Yesterday, he was given a one year suspended jail term, a €500 fine, and was banned from driving for five years.

So this guy was driving above the limit, hit and killed an 18 year old kid and he gets a 1 year suspended sentence, 500 euro fine and banned from driving...
    Surely to God this will be appealed?
    Absolute disgrace to be given, what in my eyes, such a lenient sentence.
    500e fine just adds insult to injury.
    When will there be a full review of the idiotc sentences handed down in this country?
    This dead 18 year old's life in the eyes of this particular judge/law was a slap on the wrist it seems.
    Disgusting.

Lets hope he takes a fall down a few stairs while drunk and leaves this world...would certainly make the world a little bit better

Advertisement