Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Wheelers Open Race 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Rode the course yesterday. The narrow roads i saw on Google maps are not as narrow in reality.

Nice course, up and down and twisty in parts. Fast main road in the north part of the course. That hill at the cross roads is nasty. Does the race finish at the crossroads does anyone know?

Ironic that racing moved to March to move the start of the racing year out of the winter which is absolutely right thing for Cycling Ireland to do. But unfortunately the first racing weekend of the year is going to happen during a freak blizzard!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It will be interesting to see if it goes ahead or not, the forecasts are so varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Chumpski wrote: »
    Rode the course yesterday. The narrow roads i saw on Google maps are not as narrow in reality.

Nice course, up and down and twisty in parts. Fast main road in the north part of the course. That hill at the cross roads is nasty. Does the race finish at the crossroads does anyone know?

Ironic that racing moved to March to move the start of the racing year out of the winter which is absolutely right thing for Cycling Ireland to do. But unfortunately the first racing weekend of the year is going to happen during a freak blizzard!

Line is around 10m shy of the crossroads - not the longest or hardest drag but at race speed with hurt in the legs can be a different matter for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

CramCycle wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if it goes ahead or not, the forecasts are so varied.

Youd hope they wont leave it past wednesday/ thursday to officially make the call .

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Considering most races are going to be on minor roads(which won't be treated), if the weather is to be anywhere close to what's forecast there won't be any racing along the east coast this weekend.
    They can't be blamed for the weather but Cycling Irelands genius plan of pushing races into March is beginning to show how pointless the whole thing was. It would have made sense if they moved races to later in the year but all they did was pack the February race calendar into March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

DKmac wrote: »
    Considering most races are going to be on minor roads(which won't be treated), if the weather is to be anywhere close to what's forecast there won't be any racing along the east coast this weekend.
    They can't be blamed for the weather but Cycling Irelands genius plan of pushing races into March is beginning to show how pointless the whole thing was. It would have made sense if they moved races to later in the year but all they did was pack the February race calendar into March.

I'd disagree. I think CI did the right thing and it is a brave move to make. Clubs could have decided to reschedule races for later rather than trying to squeeze them into March. One would be hoping that a few years down the line the kick off would be even later than Mar 1st and there would be a fuller Autumn calendar. But as shown this year you cannot do this in one clean sweep, the adjustment period needs to be over a few years.

IMO Ideally racing would be fairly evening spread out between Apr 1st and Oct 31st

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

IMO there is close to zero chance of racing this weekend and have mentally prepared myself as such....
    Supposed to be going down to culchie land on fri for a meeting but that's looking unlikely now too...
    On the plus side kids will love it and a great chance to play on the MTB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

I'd disagree. I think CI did the right thing and it is a brave move to make. Clubs could have decided to reschedule races for later rather than trying to squeeze them into March. One would be hoping that a few years down the line the kick off would be even later than Mar 1st and there would be a fuller Autumn calendar. But as shown this year you cannot do this in one clean sweep, the adjustment period needs to be over a few years.

IMO Ideally racing would be fairly evening spread out between Apr 1st and Oct 31st

What's the point in delaying the start of the season? Sure the weathers so variable that it makes no difference between Mid-Feb and March. I just don't see the point at all, let alone the "bravery" of it all.

DKmac wrote: »
    What's the point in delaying the start of the season? Sure the weathers so variable that it makes no difference between Mid-Feb and March. I just don't see the point at all, let alone the "bravery" of it all.

A few people made this point last year, and were told we were incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

RobFowl wrote: »
    IMO there is close to zero chance of racing this weekend and have mentally prepared myself as such....
    Supposed to be going down to culchie land on fri for a meeting but that's looking unlikely now too...

So are they going to bus the riders over the climb at Doreys Forge? There isn't a snowballs chance of this going ahead. Unfortunate turn of events weather wise. Should reschedule for September?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Snow and freezing conditions in the lead up and through the day in Cycleways Cup in 2015. didn't stop the race

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Snow and freezing conditions in the lead up and through the day in Cycleways Cup in 2015. didn't stop the race

The Heaviest snowwfall in over 30 years and comparable to 1947 ! I think this is a slightly different ballpark......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭LCD

Thats not quite what happened. I cycled from Drogheda to Navan that day for the race. Left Drogheda in fairly good conditions, bright, but cold. Half way there the weather turned & blizzard arrived. Half way through the race it had stopped & sun actually came out.

Same year, that May in the Tour of Ulster, in the Mourne's weather changed, 1oC, sideways sleet, stage abandoned. Guys you were racing against 5mins ago, you`re now hugging in the back of a car trying to stay warm

The Heaviest snowwfall in over 30 years and comparable to 1947 ! I think this is a slightly different ballpark......

I'm still waiting for Orphelia

Ophelia Bottom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

You will be waiting a while so.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

I can't see this going ahead with the forecast, a bit disappointed was meant to be my first race.

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    I can't see this going ahead with the forecast, a bit disappointed was meant to be my first race.

That any cyclist in Ireland still expects to be competing in a cycle race this weekend is remarkable; it is possible that every weather forecast is wrong but as far as I can see we are about to get the worst snow/cold in nearly 40 years- the last thing anybody should consider is entering a bike race.
    Perhaps it's the 'fake news' mentality of the current times. I dunno...
    With a full season ahead, surely it's best to plan for some other races/rescheduling? I'm disappointed to think the Mick Lally would be cancelled; great early season gallop.

JK.BMC wrote: »
    That any cyclist in Ireland still expects to be competing in a cycle race this weekend is remarkable; it is possible that every weather forecast is wrong but as far as I can see we are about to get the worst snow/cold in nearly 40 years- the last thing anybody should consider is entering a bike race.
    With a full season ahead, surely it's best to plan for some other races/rescheduling? I'm disappointed to think the Mick Lally would be cancelled; great early season gallop.

A drizzling of sleet. Will be thawed out by lunchtime.

Might be gone by Sunday, Saturday in doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Maybe The Wheelers can have the race on Zwift. Everyone (except Rob Fowl) can race safely and stay at home at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Anyone asks im 20kg.

koutoubia wrote: »
    Maybe The Wheelers can have the race on Zwift. Everyone (except Rob Fowl) can race safely and stay at home at the same time.

Careful what ya wish for... the robot apocalypse is not far away.
    Zwift is the thin end of the wedge.... 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Careful what ya wish for... the robot apocalypse is not far away.
    Zwift is the thin end of the wedge.... ��
    I was actually joking HOWEVER I can see it happening at some stage soon.

koutoubia wrote: »
    I was actually joking HOWEVER I can see it happening at some stage soon.

But there wouldn't be any crashes- what would we talk about on Mondays after race weekend?

But there wouldn't be any crashes- what would we talk about on Mondays after race weekend?

All the Freds/A4s glitching due to their poor broadband, then capping the numbers to ensure it didn't happen again.

Race cancelled on Saturday. http://www.dublinwheelers.com/news.php?readmore=199

Cycleways Cup may still go ahead yet. They will let us know by Sat at 2pm latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

I didn't really mean it in the way that I was expecting it to go ahead with the weather. Just I was looking forward to the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Chumpski wrote: »
    Cycleways Cup may still go ahead yet. They will let us know by Sat at 2pm latest.

Cancelled: https://www.facebook.com/NavanRoadClub/photos/a.606922139332998.1073741834.169442743080942/2148016731890190/?type=3&theater

• Advertisement
Advertisement