Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low sugar diet

Options
  • 18-02-2018 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I am interested in following a low sugar diet. By low sugar, I’m talking less than 5g of sugar per 100g as a rough guide. I’m not doing it primarily for weight loss (though wouldn’t mind losing 4/5 lbs) but am hoping for more energy, better feeling of well being and better skin. I am also going to try and cut down on white carbs and processed meats. I am a bit of a sugar addict to be honest so I think I’ll find it difficult at first.

Just looking for some tips and advice. I think I’ll be ok with meals, but just wondering what people would suggest for snacks? I know nuts is one, but I have a big problem with portion control when it comes to nuts! With regards to dairy, should I stick to low fat or is full fat better? I normally have low fat milk in my porridge and maybe some cheese in omelettes etc. What are people’s thoughts on artificial sweeteners like canderel? I normally have some in my porridge.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi folks, I am interested in following a low sugar diet. By low sugar, I’m talking less than 5g of sugar per 100g as a rough guide.

You should look at it in terms of the total grams of sugar per day, rather than the % of sugar in any individual food.

A bottle of milk is 5% sugar, a snickers bar is 50%. But both have about 25g of sugar.
    Just looking for some tips and advice. I think I’ll be ok with meals, but just wondering what people would suggest for snacks? I know nuts is one, but I have a big problem with portion control when it comes to nuts! With regards to dairy, should I stick to low fat or is full fat better? I normally have low fat milk in my porridge and maybe some cheese in omelettes etc. What are people’s thoughts on artificial sweeteners like canderel? I normally have some in my porridge.
    Low fat is marginally higher in sugar due to ratio changing when fat is removed. But full fat has more calories. It not a big issue.

If you want low sugar snacks, you could look at keto diet for example. Keto is very low carb (inc sugar)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for the reply Mellor, that’s a good point about taking the overall daily consumption into account. I don’t want to get into weighing foods etc as I’m looking at this as a long term life style change rather than a short term thing, but I will definitely be mindful of my overall sugar consumption in the day.

What are your thoughts on fruit like apples and bananas as snacks? Obviously they are high in sugar but does it make any difference that they are natural sugars?

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Mellor, that’s a good point about taking the overall daily consumption into account. I don’t want to get into weighing foods etc as I’m looking at this as a long term life style change rather than a short term thing, but I will definitely be mindful of my overall sugar consumption in the day.

What are your thoughts on fruit like apples and bananas as snacks? Obviously they are high in sugar but does it make any difference that they are natural sugars?

If your goal is to avoid sugar I'd be avoiding apples and especially bananas. It's natural sugar. So is a 1kg bag of sugar in Tesco. Or the sugar in Coca-Cola.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

You shouldn't avoid fruit, eating fruit is not the same as drinking coke or throwing massive amounts of table sugar on stuff.

You shouldn't avoid fruit, eating fruit is not the same as drinking coke or throwing massive amounts of table sugar on stuff.
    I said the Sugar is the same. Not that eating them is the same. Fruit has extra benefits that you won't get from raw sugar, butbthats nor relevant. There is sugar in fruit, the goal is to avoid sugar, then you need to avoid fruit. That should be obvious.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I said the Sugar is the same. Not that eating them is the same. Fruit has extra benefits that you won't get from raw sugar, butbthats nor relevant. There is sugar in fruit, the goal is to avoid sugar, then you need to avoid fruit. That should be obvious.

Yeah but you said he should be avoiding apples and bananas when he shouldn't be, nobody should be unless they have some specific medical medical condition, everyone should be encouraged to avoid all the added sugar like what is in coke, cakes, cookies, ice cream etc... all this stuff should be eaten in moderation if it all, fruit should be encouraged even if looking to avoid sugar, if the majority of the sugar your getting is from fruit sugar isn't a concern.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah but you said he should be avoiding apples and bananas .

they said if the goal is to avoid sugar, then you need to avoid fruit because it has sugar. it wasn't a blanket 'don't eat fruit ever again'

bluewolf wrote: »
    they said if the goal is to avoid sugar, then you need to avoid fruit because it has sugar. it wasn't a blanket 'don't eat fruit ever again'

It's just imo if the goal is to avoid sugar then people should be encouraged to avoid the foods I listed and not apples and bananas. The OP also said does it make a difference if they are natural sugars and it does they shouldn't be avoided.

It's just imo if the goal is to avoid sugar then people should be encouraged to avoid the foods I listed and not apples and bananas. The OP also said does it make a difference if they are natural sugars and it does they shouldn't be avoided.

The OP is trying to avoid sugar. Apples and Bananas contain lots of sugar, therefore should be avoided based on that goal. This is really straightforward.

If you want to argue that OP doesn't need to avoid all sugar go for it. But that's a completely separate issue. I'm haven't commented on whether or not their plan is a good one as I don't know their reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

if the goal is to avoid sugar and they eat apples and bananas they'll be eating sugar and therefore not achieving their goal, it's pretty simple logic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement