Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE winter Olympic Coverage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,929 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's five athletes in an event every four years. Is it really so bad that a country sends a few people like?

The way you're taking, you'd swear a local club got closed down because these ones got sent to the Olympics. And how much could it really cost if all their training and everything was done in another country? Sounds to me like a pretty good deal to get the Irish flag over there with such a minimal expenditure on infrastructure.

So we support coaches and facilities in another country so people who don't qualify for that country can compete in an event nobody in our country can do. Why do we need people in Winter sports when we don't have a winter suitable. We have several good motor bike racers in the UK and world championships winning who get no support from our Government yet we spend our money sending foreigners to finish in the top 50!

ted1 wrote: »
    DO you complain about the Irish soccer team using the granny rule? Each of those 5 are at the top of there chosen sport and are proud to represent Ireland. Those 5 atheletes compete every year at different events. And often represent Ireland at them.

Yes, we have the UK B team for our soccer team. If taking part is all that counts why don't we send our League of Ireland players to international competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yes, we have the UK B team for our soccer team. If taking part is all that counts why don't we send our League of Ireland players to international competitions?

Sounds like you know as much about soccer as you do winter sports. James McClean would love to learn he plays for the UK!

What if there is a major event? A terror attack? An Ice Skater beating up a rival? A famous athlete dieing? Kim Yong Un turning up?

The same that happens the vast majority of the time there's a major incident in a country where RTE doesn't have a correspondent, we use the local feed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

What we need is someone like Eddie The Eagle Edwards, that the whole country can get behind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,143 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Pherekydes wrote: »
    biko wrote: »
    Thomas Hjalmar Westgard's father is Norwegian and his mother is Irish so mixed race I suppose..
    Which two races would they be? Human and ...?

Depends on where the mother's family is from.

If it's the midlands, then I think the official scientific category is "unknown"

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Del2005 wrote: »

While the practice of fielding a UK "B" team posing as an Irish team exists , we will never have league of Ireland players with ambition of playing for Ireland.
    They realise their only chance to be selected is to emigrate first .

What will happen after "Brexit" will Angela Merkel allow "non European" players play for a "European" country.

After all she is trying to get Leo to persuade Ms May to hold a second referrendum like she succeeded with Enda here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

We should try getting the all-star hurling team to take up ice skating, with davy fitz as coach a medal in the ice hockey would be assured.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

We should try getting the all-star hurling team to take up ice skating, with davy fitz as coach a medal in the ice hockey would be assured.

Already alot ice hockey players in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

buried wrote: »
    Every little bit helps B. Coming 59th in some snow/ice thing nobody gives a monkeys ar$e about, helps absolutely nothing either.... except two RTE goons getting a auld holiday, which we are also paying for.

How do you know that nobody cares about them or their sport? I think we should start to look at opening more winter sport facilities in Ireland. The insurance industry kept hammering the last permanent ice rink in Dublin until it had to close. Place used to be very busy and it was a great form of exercise for people. I know ice hockey players from Dublin who have to travel to Belfast to train properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

Berserker wrote: »
    How do you know that nobody cares about them or their sport? I think we should start to look at opening more winter sport facilities in Ireland. The insurance industry kept hammering the last permanent ice rink in Dublin until it had to close. Place used to be very busy and it was a great form of exercise for people. I know ice hockey players from Dublin who have to travel to Belfast to train properly.

It's Ireland man. Ask the average Joe on the street who is the worlds current top 1 on the slalom ski slopes or the ice curling champions. The vast majority of people in this country have no interest in this thing, yet here we are funding a load of people to not even qualify out of the first round that nobody is watching and funding two RTE microphone mouths and a crew to go out and report on it when the vast majority don't care. You know people that have to go up to Belfast to train? That's terrible B. I know people that have been living in hotels for over a year because even with a job they can't get a place to live. This country would want to get its priorities right, not winter f**king holidays for snowboarders and state broadcaster "journalists"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭prunudo

As somebody who doesn't have an interest in gaa, horse racing or golf I'm glad some of my license fee is going towards covering winter sports. But in reality I'm watching most of it on eurosport.
    But it would be nice if they had a weekly programme covering even highlights from niche and non mainstream sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

Berserker wrote: »

I would be one of them players traveling to Belfast. There are kids and adults traveling from cork for this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

jvan wrote: »
    As somebody who doesn't have an interest in gaa, horse racing or golf I'm glad some of my license fee is going towards covering winter sports. But in reality I'm watching most of it on eurosport.
    But it would be nice if they had a weekly programme covering even highlights from niche and non mainstream sports.
    your right. its great to see minority sports getting a look in . If you open any paper and go to the ''sports'' pages ,if your not into gaa , soccer , horses or golf there's nothing for ya . Then add to that rugby at this time of the year , page after page of the same quotes , statements and predictions just re jigged a little and printed again on the next page

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Just wondering- does Claire McSweeney EVER smile? Genuine question, I have never ever once seen even a hint of a smile pass her lips. Miserable creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think most of the winter Olympians representing Ireland are self funded. They get something from the OCI when they're nearly qualified so that the OCI can throw their hat in the ring but that's about it. The guy we had who finished 4th in 2002 had no official funding.

I think the 5 we have there got like 20k each. Considering the costs of the sports and travel to competition and training (hardly training here), it's a bit of a drop in the ocean to actually compete in these events never mind do well.

We're probably spending more on coverage of them than we are of funding them, which is a bit of a joke.

Advertisement