Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No More Sean Kelly Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ya I got bored of being stuck in a group that might only average 28km/h over 100km. Although, I have to admit, Portumna had a great sportive! A great course with a lot of fast riders from A3 and A2. It's been the closest I've got to a race experience, and gave me and idea of where I need to get to to do well

Sportives aren't meant to be races for A4s and A4s to see 'how they are going' ! :rolleyes: "Might only average 28" - I guess you are one of 'those' cyclists that so many sportive riders complain about !!!

Ever do the RoK ? :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RowanHarley

greenspurs wrote: »
    Sportives aren't meant to be races for A4s and A4s to see 'how they are going' ! :rolleyes: "Might only average 28" - I guess you are one of 'those' cyclists that so many sportive riders complain about !!!

Ever do the RoK ? :rolleyes:

Seems aweful expensive!

Seems aweful expensive!

Sorry, that must have went over your head ! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Personally I just thought they were too expensive for what they were offering. I stopped doing the tour of sligo three years ago and I only do club sportives that are reasonably priced . Quality might be varied but a better value day out. And sponsorship is getting very hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Something for everyone really, I'd have thought? Normally the faster people go off the front never to be seen again (by me), rather than it cause issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Sorry to see the SKT gone. I agree it wasn't quite the same challenge with Mahon Falls taken out but it was still a good event in a county I don't get to often enough.
    From observation, I didn't think there was a significant drop off in numbers last year so I assume the lack of a main sponsor is what killed it. Sport Ireland were never going to be long-term sponsors of any sportif and presumably only stepped in last year on a once off basis.
    Of all the former An Post sportives, the one I will miss most (assuming it goes) is the Rebel Tour. On a good day the scenery out around Allihies would take your breath away (or maybe it was those short sharp climbs) and on a bad day struggling back into the finish at Glengarrif made it all worthwhile. Looks like I might be heading to the Causeway Coast rather than the Beara Peninsula this September.

Personally I just thought they were too expensive for what they were offering. I stopped doing the tour of sligo three years ago and I only do club sportives that are reasonably priced . Quality might be varied but a better value day out. And sponsorship is getting very hard to get.

Good point. At least with racing, you're given the opportunity to progress and as well as that, it can also be a good bit cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gmacww

Personally speaking I think sportives have lost the run of themselves price wise over the past few years. I haven't done the Wickla in a couple of years as the last time I did it (first year the new committe took over) you could see how it had thinned out in terms of support both food and people wise. The price increase as well now at €60 means that event is no longer on the calendar.

The SKT was one I did a few years ago and it was great. Shame it's gone but I see it happen with quite a few. Some strange issues around with regards to sportives and sponsors / charities in recent years though. I know of one popular one around these parts where the charity which has gotten a lot of money from the event since it's inception doesn't want any association with it anymore. Word on the wire is that this is the last run of it this year. Shame and a very strange landscape at the moment.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Something for everyone really, I'd have thought? Normally the faster people go off the front never to be seen again (by me), rather than it cause issues?

If they all fecked off to the front together, then they could play TourDeFrance the whole way round, that would be ok.
    but its the guys that rock up late/start late, and they race through everyone else that most people that are cycling in Sportives have the issues with....
    Have a look at the RoK comments on BookFace/webpage etc ...

Good point. At least with racing, you're given the opportunity to progress and as well as that, it can also be a good bit cheaper

At least with racing , youre not at a Sportive, only doing 28km/h ...... :rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement

Have a look at the RoK comments on BookFace/webpage etc ...
    Not going to subject myself to that! In my one time experience of the RoK, it wasn't the faster and/or club cyclists that were causing the issues (and I certainly wasn't or still am not in that category). They tend to be able to cycle in a straight line in a predictable manner for starters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Pity I've done the last 5 SKT's..liked the original 160km more than last years but it was still a spin out of the big smoke and its surroundings.
    I guess An Posts few bob made the difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

gmacww wrote: »
    I haven't done the Wickla in a couple of years as the last time I did it (first year the new committe took over) you could see how it had thinned out in terms of support both food and people wise. The price increase as well now at €60 means that event is no longer on the calendar.

I know of one popular one around these parts where the charity which has gotten a lot of money from the event since it's inception doesn't want any association with it anymore. Word on the wire is that this is the last run of it this year. Shame and a very strange landscape at the moment.

Interesting you mention the W200 and the food stops. The two lads from A1 racing on Youtube did the event last year. Their biggest complaint was the lack of food at the stops. And these lads are basically Pro level and were not among the stragglers, so it must have been bad for them to mention that.

I think I know the other sportive you mention and that's been an issue for a few years now. Its been a shadow of itself for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭JMcL

Shame to see it go, the organisation was always very good, and the council loved it for pulling a large crowd into the county at the end of summer. I don't think the price of the SKT really went up appreciatively over the years I did it (2012 through to 2017), but I don't have receipts to hand to could be off the mark there.

I'd say An Post pulling out was the nail in the coffin, but numbers in 2017 were way down - I think the 100km was about 800 undersubscribed. The past 2 years have been plagued by absolutely foul weather as well, and 2017 was reliably forecast as going to be foul for the best part of a week in advance which probably kept away a fair few that would have rocked up in the last few days.

A mate has been involved with coordinating the ambulances etc over the years and the problem with the Mahon Fall is that 1) it's a shocking road at the best of times, even more so in bad weather, 2) if an incident does happen it's hard to get an ambulance in (they once parked an ambulance beside that nasty bend on the descent just to get people to scrub off speed)

As somebody else mentioned the number of sportives stuck on to scrape together a few quid has rocketed over the past few years which probably hasn't helped

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

I do about 1 audax event per season as well as running my own one.
    For people who Want a tough cheaper ride its a great option. For those that want to ride along in the big bunches then obviously spotifs are where its at if not racing.
    Interesting that some big name sportifs are suffering & being cancelled, whereas Audax is holding its own.

The permanent routes on audax ireland website can be ridden at any time which is great in terms of flexibility. You get the sense of achievement of doing an 'official route', can use it towards medals (for those that like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I think it would be a mistake to write off sportives on the basis of one major sponsor pulling out. One of the reasons numbers are down on some events is that there is now way more choice every weekend from March through to October. I suspect the same numbers are out but spread more thinly over more sportives. Some of the new additions are well run, offer good value for money and support local charities. Others unfortunately don't tick any of those boxes.

Overall, they still offer a great chance to cycle in new places, meet new friends (especially Boarsies) and push yourself a lot harder than if you were on your own. INMO some of the really good ones can provide some of the best cycling experiences on this island.

velo.2010 wrote:
    Interesting you mention the W200 and the food stops. The two lads from A1 racing on Youtube did the event last year. Their biggest complaint was the lack of food at the stops. And these lads are basically Pro level and were not among the stragglers, so it must have been bad for them to mention that.
    Was due to do it again last year, but couldn't at the last minute. The lads that did, say never again. They ended up finding somewhere to buy food.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,875 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone should organise a sportive called the 'no more sean kelly tour'.
    on second thoughts, that's a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I think in the case of the SKT the loss of a prime sponsor was a deathblow. All the high attendance An Post tours will struggle without headline sponsorship and I suspect/hope the Burren tour might just survive.

In the case of the SKT, the 2-3 years of bad weather on top of loss of sponsor was a hit too many to take. The change of circuit may have been done for cost reasons but I was shocked at the decision when it happened as 'Kelly' meant toughness (of route).

I do think there is another issue coming to the fore and I am seeing it also in the race scene; volunteers to support an event. Volunteerism is clearly in decline. Its a complex area but too many small clubs is not helping. I suspect this is why the charity supported event is becoming more common.

Ras Donegal has been cancelled and adequate support for the event was cited as a factor. Still in shock on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AviationUK

Now, wouldnt it be nice if all the respective towns and villages cycle clubs got together and "marshalled" a route over the sean kelly route on that particular weekend this year?...

Nobody can stop you cycling a route, nobody can stop you from standing at the side of the road as long as there is no "organiser"...

• Advertisement

AviationUK wrote: »
    Now, wouldnt it be nice if all the respective towns and villages cycle clubs got together and "marshalled" a route over the sean kelly route on that particular weekend this year?...

Nobody can stop you cycling a route, nobody can stop you from standing at the side of the road as long as there is no "organiser"...

The problem with (most) people is that they're mind set is more like "Well he/she's helping out so they'll be fine without me. I really need to get my hair done" rather than "Oh ya! Lets all work on this wet sunday morning, telling cyclists to turn right here! It'll be fun"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

AviationUK wrote: »

I'll bring some sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

Was due to do it again last year, but couldn't at the last minute. The lads that did, say never again. They ended up finding somewhere to buy food.

Odd, I followed the two A1 lads down from rathdrum to the meetings so we must have been at the Rathdrum food stop about the same time and there was tons of grub there, more professional prepacked stuff than previous years (way more expensive but less hassle to organise I guess), the baltinglass stop also had loads (I got there about 10, not mega early I don't think).

Course change made it much harder than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

saccades wrote: »
    Odd, I followed the two A1 lads down from rathdrum to the meetings so we must have been at the Rathdrum food stop about the same time and there was tons of grub there, more professional prepacked stuff than previous years (way more expensive but less hassle to organise I guess), the baltinglass stop also had loads (I got there about 10, not mega early I don't think).

Yeah I had the same experience. There was loads of food at the stops when I was there. Also wasn't that early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

saccades wrote: »

I have given out a lot about the W200 in the past but so say there was a lack of food at the stops last year is utter nonsense. I was going at a good speed and arriving early at them, which I assume those lads were too, and the food was plentiful, perhaps not huge variety but no shortage of it. Get over yourselves lads.

I'd have to check whether it was a lack of food or actually getting it. So whether it was queues for food or organisation around it, or lack of food, it was enough of a bad experience that they won't be back as they don't consider it vfm.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I did the SKT back in 2011, it was a great day out but I wasn't particularly bothered about doing it again. And you'd be hard pushed to get a room anywhere in Ireland for less than 100e a night which adds up. Tho it still seems very popular, especially the numbers on the road compared to say ten or fifteen years ago I kinda get the feeling the cycling fad and the sportif thing is winding down, there's so many people with nice bikes now that don't use them.

I do a lot of hill walking too, I've noticed a massive jump in the numbers doing this in the last year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,042 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd have to check whether it was a lack of food or actually getting it. So whether it was queues for food or organisation around it, or lack of food, it was enough of a bad experience that they won't be back as they don't consider it vfm.

People have been moaning about WW200 food stops for as long as I've been aware of the WW200, which must be at least 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Lumen wrote: »
    People have been moaning about WW200 food stops for as long as I've been aware of the WW200, which must be at least 10 years.

I didn't like the sandwiches on the WW200 in 1988! :D

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I didn't like the sandwiches on the WW200 in 1988! :D

Unlucky .... The ones in 89 were much improved .... :D

Advertisement