Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injection to Stop Bleeding from Coil

Options
  • 14-02-2018 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I had a Jaydess coil fitted the beginning of July 2017. Thought it would be better than the pill (Yasmin) because I wouldn't have to remember to take anything, wouldn't need to be going to doc/chemist for prescriptions etc. I also had awful PMS and was a really mean b***h about halfway through my cycle on Yasmin.

Had it inserted in IFPA and found insertion v painful. Was off work that day so lay with a hot water bottle all day. Was prescribed ponstan and took some, but moved on to nurofen/paracetomol instead. Had a small bit of bleeding but nothing major.

First period was fine, but since then I've been all over the place. Periods lasting anywhere between 3 and 11 days, spotting more than half the days between my periods, length of time between period varying from 7 to 35 days. Also have acne on my face and it's now spreading to my back and chest and I never had bad skin before.

Went to my own GP on Monday and she took swabs to check if I'd an infection first so waiting on results of them, but swabs from when I got coil were clear so not expecting anything to come back really.

She suggested I get the Depo Provera injection (if swabs come back clear) to stop the spotting and irregular cycle. She had me convinced at the time, but was talking to my Mam last night about it and she said she bled for 6 months when she had the injection about 10 yrs ago.

I'm thinking now that I should probably just go back to the pill. I've been researching and apparently oestrogen helps to support the lining in the womb in terms of keeping it stable. Oestrogen isn't in the Jaydess coil or the injection.

So questions....
    Has anyone ever stopped spotting from the coil by using the injection? I'm aware that I'd also be doubling up on hormones that way.
    Has anyone suffered PMS on Yasmin and found a better pill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I've no answers to this but just to say that you aren't on your own. I'm going to see my GP later today. I got the copper coil in during the summer after my second baby. I really didn't want a hormonal contraceptive. I thought things would settle down but they haven't. I get a lot of cramps all month long but particularly the week before my period is due. So much so that the pain travels down my legs. I get spotting from 2-3 days before my period & then when it does come, it is so heavy. I'm changing an super extra tampon every 2-3 hours and wearing a pad as well :eek: It's not worth it! Hoping the GP can shed some light on it later as I'm starting to get a bit paranoid that it's not just the coil causing it.

Advertisement