Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

What age does a car have to be to qualify for classic insurance?

• 14-02-2018 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭ NIMAN

As title says.

And is there then different annual mileages available for classic insurers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ligertigon

20 years or could be as little as 12-15. Jap cars tend to have to wait longer.
    from speaking to autoline a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭ NIMAN

So there's not a set in stone age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr

It's not your Ma's Nissan Note.

It's not Harry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr

Some people would try it though!

• Advertisement

I was thinking about buying a roundabout.

Used to have a 1991 mr2, loved it but had to go when kids arrived.

Would love to have something similar I could take out for a hour or two every now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ Testacalda

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was thinking about buying a roundabout.

:pac:

On a serious note though, the type of car has more of a bearing on whether it will qualify for classic car insurance than the year.

Best advice is to pick a car you'd like and then ring up and ask. There is not set rule, although anything over 30 years old should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭ liam7831

Axa will do anything over 25 years if you have your main car policy in your own name. i can do 5,000 miles a year on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭ Working class heroes

I went through Campion Insurance for my 97 Mini Cooper.
    €260 with a 5000 mile limit. Very good to deal with.

A man who knows he knows nothing knows more than a man who thinks he knows everything.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭ antodeco

Depends on the car and the policy. I have 40+ years old, 30+ years old and 15+ years old all covered.

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    Depends on the car and the policy. I have 40+ years old, 30+ years old and 15+ years old all covered.

Thanks folks, didn't know there was different ages/cars etc?

I assumed it was just a certain age of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭ RobAMerc

lads, whos the most likely to insure a 15yo car as a classic ( 2nd car )
    I'm considering a purchase but dont want to have to try 10 companies first.

RobAMerc wrote:
    lads, whos the most likely to insure a 15yo car as a classic ( 2nd car ) I'm considering a purchase but dont want to have to try 10 companies first.

AXA told me 25 yrs minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭ Quigs Snr

ligertigon wrote: »
    20 years or could be as little as 12-15. Jap cars tend to have to wait longer.
    from speaking to autoline a few months ago

What cars do you know of that would be less than 20 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ Deadwards.com

It tends to be more unusual or rare cars that can get classic insurance from my experience. As someone said AXA need the car to be a minimum of 20 years but Autoline will look at examples from 15+

I have a Porsche Boxster insured with them. Not exactly rare but not a huge volume of them out there.

As another posted said, look at some cars that you really would consider and then give them a call to see. they are helpful. Just remember you need to have 'regular' insurance in your own name on a daily driver car to qualify for it.

It tends to be more unusual or rare cars that can get classic insurance from my experience. As someone said AXA need the car to be a minimum of 20 years but Autoline will look at examples from 15+

I have a Porsche Boxster insured with them. Not exactly rare but not a huge volume of them out there.

As another posted said, look at some cars that you really would consider and then give them a call to see. they are helpful. Just remember you need to have 'regular' insurance in your own name on a daily driver car to qualify for it.

He already said it will be a 2nd car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭ RobAMerc

first Ireland told me today they wouldn't consider anything under 20, and even at that only for certain brands - Mercs Porsches etc

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭ damon5

Who are they covered with,my car is a 3door astra and 19 years old and have it 14 years only doing about 40 miles a week,cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 Bob_Marley

roughly what does that cost for each ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭ WestWicklow1

I went through Campion Insurance for my 97 Mini Cooper.
    €260 with a 5000 mile limit. Very good to deal with.

Is that comprehensive?

• Advertisement

What cover do they give,window screen breakage,third party,third party fire and theft or fully comp or others,cheers.

Is that comprehensive?

3rd Party F+T only. All I could get.

A man who knows he knows nothing knows more than a man who thinks he knows everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

RobAMerc wrote: »
    first Ireland told me today they wouldn't consider anything under 20, and even at that only for certain brands - Mercs Porsches etc

I've had several classic cars >15 years old but <20 years old on classic policies through First Ireland, and can still add 15 year old cars to my policy, but they don't do it anymore for new business

I believe Autoline in the North still do, but the policies are not cheap

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 Doltanian

Is Classic Tax still 30 years old?

Doltanian wrote: »
    Is Classic Tax still 30 years old?

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 368100

How much was the boxter to insure on classic policy and what year is it ....if you don't mind me asking :-)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭ antodeco

Sorry lads, forgot I posted.

My 3 are with First Ireland. Roughly about €500 for all 3 (I only added another halfway through the year so don't have a full yearly price, that's all fully comp.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

368100 wrote: »
    How much was the boxter to insure on classic policy and what year is it ....if you don't mind me asking :-)

My '99 Boxster is insured through First Ireland fully comp for €289, no need for a normal car insured in my name and even building up no claims bonus on this :)

Not available for new business though unless your car is at least 20 years old...

unkel wrote: »
    My '99 Boxster is insured through First Ireland fully comp for €289, no need for a normal car insured in my name and even building up no claims bonus on this :)

Not available for new business though unless your car is at least 20 years old...

Nice one :) can you add on extras on your policy e.g window screen cover,NCB protection.breakdown assist etc .......

• Advertisement

I have no idea. But I can add on extra classic cars for €100 per year each fully comprehensive. I'm liking that :)

Advertisement