Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examples of media from the last 5 years where women are objectified

Options
1234568»

Comments

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I haven't been following this particular story but aren't tjings like ring girls and "grid girls" on the way out? Other people have pointed out there's less TD with irish model in bikini photoshoots. Again you see to think if something doesn't have a 100% instant success rate then nothing has changed. It's a ridiculously high standard that had never been achieved.

You seem to want me to think there needs to be 100% success... since I keep saying otherwise.
    No but posting one point about increased visibility is just a way of ignoring that gay people criticised homophobia when they encountered it which was my point. And it was successful.

As opposed to thinking that they criticised their way to acceptance was more effective? Right.

Let's leave it at that, because you seem to want to pin me between goalposts of your own making.
    I'm not interested in the minority for the purposes of this. My point has nothing to do with them. I agree theyll always exist. But the main thing is that they're a minority. The most important thing for gay people is that the majority respect them and treat them accordingly. Of women achieved their aims with the majority this would be a great success.

Women are not being abused or insulted by the majority of people in society... yes? So, you have the success you just stated you wanted above.
    And that's a part of my point. What may seem the same behaviour directed towards two different groups (calling them a name that refers to their skin colour) is actually completely different behaviour because those two groips have different histories.

Nope, they just have double standards over what's acceptable and unacceptable.
    In this particular case people just want them to stop being reduced to how they look. That has nothing to do with childcare rights etc.

Oh. I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

You seem to want me to think there needs to be 100% success... since I keep saying otherwise.

Well it's just that you're ignoring any successes at all. You asked for successes and I mentioned some.
    As opposed to thinking that they criticised their way to acceptance was more effective? Right.

Let's leave it at that, because you seem to want to pin me between goalposts of your own making.

Criticism of homophobia was part of acceptance. I've stopped people making homophobic comments to me. I didn't do it by just being "out and proud" in front of them. I told them to stop being homophobic. And they did.

Women are not being abused or insulted by the majority of people in society... yes? So, you have the success you just stated you wanted above.

Not every success has to be about abuse. For example, ten years ago I heard a guy at work make stupid but non abusive comments about black people at work. I also heard similar stuff about gay people from 2 girls. I criticised both of them and the guy stopped and the girls apologised. So it worked.

Nope, they just have double standards over what's acceptable and unacceptable.

So you think calling a black person the n word and a white person a cracker are the same? Interesting.
    Oh. I give up.

I doubt that.

LLMMLL wrote:
    And how about a black person you don't know?

Depends on the circumstances and the context. I couldn't really think of a situation that would arise where it would be warranted.

Anyone who thinks men (in general) and women (in general) discuss each other and their appearance in the same way should really take a look at the evidence given today in a certain high profile rape case.

Waiting for somebody to come on and tell me that in their experience women also send round pics of men at house parties callig them sluts and have WhatsApp groups about their threesomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Anyone who thinks men (in general) and women (in general) discuss each other and their appearance in the same way should really take a look at the evidence given today in a certain high profile rape case.

Waiting for somebody to come on and tell me that in their experience women also send round pics of men at house parties callig them sluts and have WhatsApp groups about their threesomes.

I'm more confused someone thinks men (on trial for possibly commiting rape) = men (in general)

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'm more confused someone thinks men (on trial for possibly commiting rape) = men (in general)

It all fits in with what were hearing of women's experiences recently. Just more evidence to add to an incredibly long list. But yeah. Must only be men accused of rape that behave in this way.

It all fits in with what were hearing of women's experiences recently. Just more evidence to add to an incredibly long list. But yeah. Must only be men accused of rape that behave in this way.

Ah no sure lets leave it at all men if thats what twitter tells ya! Suits the agenda

Ah no sure lets leave it at all men if thats what twitter tells ya! Suits the agenda

Not sure you get what in general means......

Not sure you get what in general means......

I do. I'm not sure what men in general have to do with men accused of rape.

I do. I'm not sure what men in general have to do with men accused of rape.

Because they're both groups of men and the behaviour of a smaller group can be indicative of the behaviour of a larger group, supported by other avenues of evidence such as the recent outpouring of women's experiences. Frankly it's more bizarre to pretend that talking about women in extremely disrespectful ways is somehow confined to those accused of rape.

• Advertisement

Because they're both groups of men and the behaviour of a smaller group can be indicative of the behaviour of a larger group, supported by other avenues of evidence such as the recent outpouring of women's experiences. Frankly it's more bizarre to pretend that talking about women in extremely disrespectful ways is somehow confined to those accused of rape.

So you think that all men behave as accused rapists. Nice you admitted it. Normally you lot faf about.

So you think that all men behave as accused rapists. Nice you admitted it. Normally you lot faf about.

So me saying I think a certain behaviour is not confined to men accused of rape means I think all men behave as accused rapists??? The mind boggles.

So me saying I think a certain behaviour is not confined to men accused of rape means I think all men behave as accused rapists??? The mind boggles.

You can't seem to distinguish between men and men accused of rape.

You can't seem to distinguish between men and men accused of rape.

Of course I can. What are you talking about? For instance, one of the guys he was texting wasn't involved at all and wasn't at the party. So even in this particular instance the behaviour is not only confined to men accused of rape.

Advertisement