Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will an e-Golf suit?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

KCross wrote: »
    I thought the OP was clear as to what (s)he wanted.
    Occasionally non-stop motorway speed driving for 130km to the airport.
    100km/week outside of that.

"She won't buy electric unless it can do the airport trip non-stop."

We can suggest hybrids and stopping for charging etc but thats not what s(he) asked for! :)

She can do that in eGolf as I mentioned, if she wants to turn around and come back down road straight away then she will need hybrid.

If she is just going on holidays then she can park at Quickpark and come back to full tank and off she goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

Casati wrote: »
    I think it’s pointless considering ev as she does such tiny mileage, her fuel costs must be negligible as it is.

She should consider a petrol VW and will have a great choice of cars and spec’s available.

Petrol is being considered too, but I didn't want to confuse matters in an EV forum.
    xl500 wrote: »
    If she Likes VW she may Like Audi Etron same stable maybe her dealer is Audi as well

Also BMW I3 Rex would be a great car for her
    The i3 is a bit out there style wise, and it being only a four seater would occasionally cause issues on the airport run. I hadn't thought of the e-tron so it's worth a look too, thanks. Her dealer has her totally convinced that it's not worth looking at anything outside of the VW family, much to my annoyance. That said, I don't like the interior of the Ioniq, it just lacks a premium feel imo. Not that VW is premium, but anyway..
    Casati wrote: »
    Electricity allowance is flat rate credit regardless of electricity consumption and is means tested. Maybe folks qualifying are buying new e Golf’s for 30k+, in Ireland anything is possible.

I never mentioned a ‘cheap’ petrol car so why do you mention it?

Sticking with VW group cars she can get anything from an RS6 to an UP with an auto box where as she’d very limited to models and price points in buying an ev or hybrid VW.

The op has come from doing 40k a year in a large diesel so it’s very unlikely that she has a big issue with going to a petrol station maybe once a month
    She's on some special ESB discounted rate for to my father working for an energy company, something like a 60% discount. But it's not for the savings she's interested in the new tech - she changes car regularly and gets walloped with depreciation, but she likes new cars. She has always driven diesel due to the large mileage but also because of the low end torque, making it easier to move off.

She is convinced diesel/petrol will be punished by the govt so wants to get ahead of the game. She also saw the e-Golf at the ploughing and was intrigued by it.
    I thought the OP was clear as to what (s)he wanted.
    Occasionally non-stop motorway speed driving for 130km to the airport.
    100km/week outside of that.

"She won't buy electric unless it can do the airport trip non-stop."

We can suggest hybrids and stopping for charging etc but thats not what s(he) asked for! :)
    The airport run is usually about 10 times a year - sometimes for her own trips abroad but largely to collect my sister. Therefore waiting the half hour at the rapid charging at the airport would not be an issue, but it would put her off electric if she had to stop en-route, less so going but definitely on the way back (especially with tired passengers). She has a friend who was disappointed with the range of their (early) leaf and is wary of the same happening to her. The motorway trip is 10km on open R road and the rest of the way on the M6 (Athlone).

It's not really about saving money though tbh(if it was, she would buy a small second hand petrol, definitely not a new car), but a better driving choice.

Finally, I really appreciate everyone's input.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

At 120km/h in wet weather? With what % left?

You would need at least 10% remaining when arriving home.. probably more to allow for wet weather so I think it might be tighter than you think if starting from 80%

So you have 70% of a 35kWh battery... thats 24.5kWh and probably 19kWh/100km (possibly worse if weather is bad)... thats right on the 130km mark!

I suspect her whole issue is she wants zero range anxiety and I think starting at 80% could give range anxiety.

My point is that it can be done with 80%, not that it needs to be. So, if I was the person doing the journey, I would leave with 100% and drive to the airport at 110-120km/h. I would then stop at the rapid charger on the airport grounds and charge to 80+%. This would take ~25 minutes and so I would have a coffe/sandwich/bigmac. If I had more time to kill, I might park in the carpark and plug into the airport slow charger, leaving no anxiety on return trip. If I only had 80% to return with, I would reduce speed to ~100km/h.

But I would quicker get the new Leaf and completely eliminate any concerns of getting there and back, with only a few minutes to top up at the rapid charger.

At the OP, it seems the vw dealer your mother deals with is a manipulative Ahole who would say anything to keep her coming back to splash out on more cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The Audi e-Tron is more expensive than the eGolf. Not sure why she would need for doing 100km a week

Also the BMW i3 is more expensive than the eGolf, dont see requirement for REX either.....if i3 the full electric would work

My wife loves Audi/VW but she had a BMW and hated it, most people I find are either BMW or Audi/VW people.

Well The OP did say " but the choice of electric and hybrid vws " so I was just pointing out other Hybrids that would be available

As Far as Cost is concerned thats up to them but Buying An EGolf to do 100K a week is their choice

I would not drop down into Hyundai etc....

I will make this a bit better

If I was in similar situation. I would look at the petrol T-Roc. The reason is the extra height. It is a lot easier to get in/out of compared to Passat/Golf etc. My wife seen it and loved it as well.

Then as swapping on regular basis I would move to ID Crozz in 2-3 years time when it is announced and will be capable of doing the airport trip without the requirement to charge the car....

If she really wants to go eGolf, take a test one out and do the trip at weekend.

As you are in Roscommon I guess you are using Michael Moore? I was a customer of theirs, they will not do anything with eGolf. Even at a struggle will they look at GTE. Of course if buying the T-Roc they will have no issues.

P.S I would say the VW is premium brand compared to others available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

goz83 wrote: »
    My point is that it can be done with 80%, not that it needs to be. So, if I was the person doing the journey, I would leave with 100% and drive to the airport at 110-120km/h. I would then stop at the rapid charger on the airport grounds and charge to 80+%. This would take ~25 minutes and so I would have a coffe/sandwich/bigmac. If I had more time to kill, I might park in the carpark and plug into the airport slow charger, leaving no anxiety on return trip. If I only had 80% to return with, I would reduce speed to ~100km/h.

But I would quicker get the new Leaf and completely eliminate any concerns of getting there and back, with only a few minutes to top up at the rapid charger.

Most of what you have suggested above is exactly what the OP's mother wants to avoid... the compromises (reduced speed, stopping for charges)

We can all make that trip even in the older EV's (24kWh) but the reality is the requirement made by the OP was "non-stop 130km @ 120km/h".

I don't think you can do that on 80% charge without incurring range anxiety.

Vronsky wrote: »
    The airport run is usually about 10 times a year - sometimes for her own trips abroad but largely to collect my sister. Therefore waiting the half hour at the rapid charging at the airport would not be an issue, but it would put her off electric if she had to stop en-route, less so going but definitely on the way back (especially with tired passengers). She has a friend who was disappointed with the range of their (early) leaf and is wary of the same happening to her. The motorway trip is 10km on open R road and the rest of the way on the M6 (Athlone).

10 times is a bit more than occasional.
    I'm inclined to agree with @20rothmans, in that a PHEV is what she needs.

100km during the week would mean you can do 100% of that driving on EV only.

For the airport run you can go there and back without stopping.

The PHEV's are expensive though. The A3 e-tron has been giving some trouble on the first few years... maybe its more reliable now. The VW PHEV's might be better, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Most of what you have suggested above is exactly what the OP's mother wants to avoid... the compromises (reduced speed, stopping for charges)

We can all make that trip even in the older EV's (24kWh) but the reality is the requirement made by the OP was "non-stop 130km @ 120km/h".

I don't think you can do that on 80% charge without incurring range anxiety.

I really don’t see the compromise. I have said what I would do if I were the OPs mother. The requirement was to get to the airport non-stop....not to do the return journey without a charge. Stopping at the airport rapid would be necessary unless she picks up a Model S or something. Reducing speed on the return journey is just a way to reduce any potential range anxiety and adds only a few minutes to the return journey.

If the new eGolf gets 200klm+ to a charge, then 80% = 160klms for the return journey. If someone is going to have range anxiety with a 30km (~14%) buffer when starting at 80% battery, then an ev is definitley not for them, especially if it must be a specific brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I really don’t see the compromise. I have said what I would do if I were the OPs mother. The requirement was to get to the airport non-stop....not to do the return journey without a charge. Stopping at the airport rapid would be necessary unless she picks up a Model S or something. Reducing speed on the return journey is just a way to reduce any potential range anxiety and adds only a few minutes to the return journey.

If the new eGolf gets 200klm+ to a charge, then 80% = 160klms for the return journey. If someone is going to have range anxiety with a 30km (~14%) buffer when starting at 80% battery, then an ev is definitley not for them, especially if it must be a specific brand.

Relying on public chargers once or twice is dodgy, long term forget about it

They are unreliable free crap

OP mother doesnt need that stress of dodgy chargers

A Golf GTE is perfect for her, agree with Kcross

The thing is, we all know what the cars can/cannot do. We are comfortable with them. The OP's mother isn't and we can't "force" our experience on her. She wants what she wants and based on what has been laid down as the requirement leaving with 80% from Dublin airport will not really get them home (without anxiety) @120km/h.

I think the figure of 200km+ range is not for motorway speed. Thats the key issue here. Of course if she slows down it will be fine. If she bought a 30kWh Leaf it would even be fine if she slows down... but thats compromising and managing the range. I think the OP wants little or no compromises.

I certainly wouldn't want my parents to go EV and have them worrying about charging and slowing down to reach their destination.... old dog, new tricks and all that! :)

If the OP says that their mother is willing to slow to, lets say 100km/h, then fair enough but that isn't what was laid out in the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

I'd like to thank everyone here for their input. After speaking with herself and going through the options it looks like the Golf GTE is the winner of the hybrid/electric that were being considered. She just wasn't ready for the compromise that all electric brings at the moment and with the snow and power outages she suffered, she wasn't willing to be left stuck at home in the event she had run down the battery and had a power failure - even if such an event is unlikely. The 30mi electric range of the golf GTE should be enough for the vast majority of trips, while the petrol engine will let her do the airport spins worry free. Unfortunately, the Passat GTE is just too expensive.

Just to arrange test drives now and she'll probably put the order in later in the year. It will be interesting to see how she manages with the dsg box as that will be the biggest adjustment.

Thanks again everyone, the discussion here has been illuminating. All electric wasn't the answer this time around, but probably will be next time.

I'd like to thank everyone here for their input. After speaking with herself and going through the options it looks like the Golf GTE is the winner of the hybrid/electric that were being considered. She just wasn't ready for the compromise that all electric brings at the moment and with the snow and power outages she suffered, she wasn't willing to be left stuck at home in the event she had run down the battery and had a power failure - even if such an event is unlikely. The 30mi electric range of the golf GTE should be enough for the vast majority of trips, while the petrol engine will let her do the airport spins worry free. Unfortunately, the Passat GTE is just too expensive.

Just to arrange test drives now and she'll probably put the order in later in the year. It will be interesting to see how she manages with the dsg box as that will be the biggest adjustment.

Thanks again everyone, the discussion here has been illuminating. All electric wasn't the answer this time around, but probably will be next time.

Might be worth showing her the Hyundai Kona. The range on it should get to airport and back without a charge. Give her that little bit of height for getting in & out of.

Should be cheaper to the Golf GTE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Casati

Best of luck to her, it looks like a great car

I'd like to thank everyone here for their input. After speaking with herself and going through the options it looks like the Golf GTE is the winner of the hybrid/electric that were being considered.

Good review of the Golf GTE here:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

She just wasn't ready for the compromise that all electric brings

It's the PHEV that's the compromise :pac:

Only messing, well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RamboJambo

The markup on this car is pretty steep, €44k in Ireland vs €36k in Germany vs £32k in UK, all prices inc VAT and before incentives.

Good review of the Golf GTE here:

Based on the that review the GTE is actually way better than I would have thought. Will I buy one to replace the eGolf :-)

Advertisement