Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i read the noob thread just checking do i have this right?

Options
  • 12-02-2018 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I'm 42, never rode a motorbike. I am looking to get a Honda FTR 250CC. I've had a full car driving license for 15 years and on it it says I can drive AM bikes, moped I presume. So before I even buy a motorbike I will have to

a. do the theory test and pass
    b. apply for my provisional license in A category? A = all?
    c. do 4 lessons with a driving instructor
    d. get insurance

oh and before all that I have to apply for a public services card and wait for them to give me a date to come in?

how long am i looking at realistically? is there any way to speed things along? and do i really need that public services card? any way around it. I have a social services card from years ago.

n.b. just read somewhere that if i had done a theory test for the car it might cover the bike too, is that right? I did the theory test in about 2000-2002

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You'll need to do the theory test. Your lesson time can vary depending in how you do, this is called the IBT. The process isnt that slow if you're organised.

Prepare to be disappointed if you're looking for a decent import in Ireland. Just get a hornet 600 and pretend you're on your retro 200 jap import.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

zubair wrote: »
    You'll need to do the theory test. Your lesson time can vary depending in how you do, this is called the IBT. The process isnt that slow if you're organised.

Prepare to be disappointed if you're looking for a decent import in Ireland. Just get a hornet 600 and pretend you're on your retro 200 jap import.

Thanks I know nothing about motorbikes so just seen the FTR and liked the look of it. Hornets are very similar!

I just made an appointment to get my public services card. Tomorrow. Have a passport and driving license. Can't find birth cert surprise surprise. Hope they won't look for it.

I was thinking of renting a van if and when I go to buy a bike and putting it in the back to bring it home. Is that what most people would do, besides a trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

breadbin wrote: »
    n.b. just read somewhere that if i had done a theory test for the car it might cover the bike too, is that right? I did the theory test in about 2000-2002

Boom!! No theory test for you, my friend. If they give you any grief at the NDLS centre, just tell them to check if you "have the 'Type 1' theory test on your file" and when they confirm you do, just tell them that "it covers bikes and cars and is valid today". I don't think they'll cause you any grief but there's a chance you may meet a noob at the counter.

So before I even buy a motorbike I will have to

Hold on a sec. I'm going to copy and paste this guy's standard advice to raw noobs as he is very clever and attractive.
    cantdecide wrote: »
    As a game plan;
    - get a permit in cat A (all motorcycles)
    - do NOTHING in the way of even buying gear or anything, just take the permit to a trainer - they will let you ride different bikes and will provide every stitch of gear you need
    - fully complete IBT to cat A level
    - decide if you like bikes and want to continue
    - if you do, get a bike (of your choice - anything you like and can get insured on, get gear, insurance etc etc
    - get many miles of practice in
    - book test
    - while the training is still fresh, pass your test ASAP (you can hire a bike from your trainer if your own chosen bike is not cat A)
    - ride off into sunset
    I have a social services card from years ago.

You probably have the one without a photo which is not the one that all the news is about. I would call the NDLS and check for sure but I believe that the PSC is only required for the theory test as that is the very first step for a 'stranger' to the process to establish their identity and PPS number at the same time.

Effectively they want to 'link' driver records with your PPS numbers by people providing a photo (normally their licence) and proof of PPS in the same name (ie not a middle name or pre-marriage name etc)

In your case, your existing full licence is your photo ID and as long as you can provide a link between that licence and the PPS number you apply in (your old card will do as that has the same name presumably that your licence and app form will).

how long am i looking at realistically? is there any way to speed things along?

I think it would be worth asking the NDLS or the RSA whether they will make you wait six months or not. Back in '08 they made me wait despite having a full car licence since 2000. People can't seem to agree about whether the 6 month rule applies or not.

In your case, doing your IBT over maybe 2 weekends will set you up nicely. If you don't have to wait 6 months then you can apply for the test and take it ASAP. You could be wrapped up in a few months. Myself, I got in on the road in Feb 2008 on my first bike and had the test passed by August having been made wait 6 months.

Thanks I know nothing about motorbikes so just seen the FTR and liked the look of it. Hornets are very similar!

Ah ok, well in that case look at the 600/650 range, 250s are for kids and Asia. The Bandit and sv650 are both similar to the hornet.
    I was thinking of renting a van if and when I go to buy a bike and putting it in the back to bring it home. Is that what most people would do, besides a trailer?

Rent your bike of the instructor for the IBT, this way you'll be sure you like the bikes. Do your A to D as above and once sorted buy your preferred bike and ride it home.

well thanks for the replies. i'm heading into the ndls office today to see. it would save me a world of pain if I didn't have to repeat the theory test but I don't think I'm that lucky! I'll let ye know anyway how I get on.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Boom!! No theory test for you, my friend. If they give you any grief at the NDLS centre, just tell them to check if you "have the 'Type 1' theory test on your file" and when they confirm you do, just tell them that "it covers bikes and cars and is valid today". I don't think they'll cause you any grief but there's a chance you may meet a noob at the counter.

Hold on a sec. I'm going to copy and paste this guy's standard advice to raw noobs as he is very clever and attractive.

You probably have the one without a photo which is not the one that all the news is about. I would call the NDLS and check for sure but I believe that the PSC is only required for the theory test as that is the very first step for a 'stranger' to the process to establish their identity and PPS number at the same time.

Effectively they want to 'link' driver records with your PPS numbers by people providing a photo (normally their licence) and proof of PPS in the same name (ie not a middle name or pre-marriage name etc)

In your case, your existing full licence is your photo ID and as long as you can provide a link between that licence and the PPS number you apply in (your old card will do as that has the same name presumably that your licence and app form will).

I think it would be worth asking the NDLS or the RSA whether they will make you wait six months or not. Back in '08 they made me wait despite having a full car licence since 2000. People can't seem to agree about whether the 6 month rule applies or not.

In your case, doing your IBT over maybe 2 weekends will set you up nicely. If you don't have to wait 6 months then you can apply for the test and take it ASAP. You could be wrapped up in a few months. Myself, I got in on the road in Feb 2008 on my first bike and had the test passed by August having been made wait 6 months.

Boom! No theory test for me:) Went into the ndls office with the intention of just asking a question about having to repeat the theory test but when I got there the wait time was over an hour. So I decided to fill out the application form to add the category A onto my license, take a chance.

He asked me for the theory test cert and I gave him the driving license and said the one I did for this should still be valid. That was it. No questions. Will have it in 5-7 working days.

I'm guessing I can't really do anything now until I get my new license. There was a time you could hand the Garda your receipt and he might be happy with that but it says on the receipt that I can't use it.

Anyway delighted I can start ringing about the IBT. Do I need the IBT before I can get insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Do I need the IBT before I can get insurance?
    You get insured on a specific bike. The bike will be insured on the basis of you having a learner permit.

No mad rush on buying a bike. Ride a couple of bikes on the IBT and see what you fancy.

600-800cc is the sweet spot for first proper bike. Opinions differ on whether to buy a shitter that you will probably throw down the road or something nice that you probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Boom! No theory test for me:)

Nice one.
    Anyway delighted I can start ringing about the IBT. Do I need the IBT before I can get insurance?

Speaking with a local instructor is definitely the next thing to do. They'll get your head in the game and they'll probably have a lot more anecdotal info that will be useful to you.

Strictly speaking, you won't need IBT finished in order to get insurance but remember, there is a LOT of expense in getting a bike on the road between training, gear, maintenance, purchase, tax and ball of incidentals. There's not much point in fixating on insurance at this point.

Have a look here. You might find a couple of noobs that might give you an idea of insurance costs.

just got a quote for 450 online with liberty on a 250cc. happy with that seeing as I'm starting from scratch. first quote I got for the car nearly 10 times that!

I rang them as well and she said I needed my IBT done before they would insure me so I guess that is the next step! thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

just got a quote for 450 online with liberty on a 250cc. happy with that seeing as I'm starting from scratch. first quote I got for the car nearly 10 times that!

I rang them as well and she said I needed my IBT done before they would insure me so I guess that is the next step! thanks for all the replies

Shop around i think my policy last year, first timer on an sv650 was 230 with principle and you need to produce a ibt within 30 days. As said above gear is expensive and bikes like the bandit, sv, hornet fazer are all crackers to get started on, and its like a drug once you start :D enjoy!

• Advertisement

cadete wrote: »
    Shop around i think my policy last year, first timer on an sv650 was 230 with principle and you need to produce a ibt within 30 days. As said above gear is expensive and bikes like the bandit, sv, hornet fazer are all crackers to get started on, and its like a drug once you start :D enjoy!

i was talking to the ibt trainer fella and he also suggested going with a 600cc bandit or hornet. he said they have a load of bikes I can try out to see before I throw a couple of grand away!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's difficult to claim for whiplash injuries on a motorbike. :D

Maybe check out some beginner videos and reading while you wait. Help get your bike fix and you'll be more prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 briken

MCE Insurance the cheapest around. ZRX 1200

280 euro fully comp on provisional A licence.

Still waiting for the IBT guy to ring me back about the training. He said early March. 280 is for nothing really, I'll give them a ring nearer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Goose81

briken wrote: »
    MCE Insurance the cheapest around. ZRX 1200

280 euro fully comp on provisional A licence.

Weren't the cheapest around for me as of last week, they wanted 900 euro, Carole Nash we're cheapest at 440. Axa were competitive as well.

All depends on whether you fit their profile as to what risk they have on their books already, they hedge their risk profiles

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭woody84

Seen your posts about not needing to re do the theory test. Im in the same boat myself. Did my theory test in 2001. Been into ndls about it but no reply back yet

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭woody84

Sorry for taking up an old thread only got around to getting the learner permit this week. Was initially rejected by the NDLS for having no cert but a quick email to the RSA and straight away approved using my old 2001 theory test.

Advertisement