Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BA Counselling & Psychotherapy and WORK?

Options
  • 12-02-2018 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I’m from up north and not overly familiar with the system here. I’m also a mature student and very rusty!

I’d love to do the BA in Counselling & Paychotherapy. I’ve seen a course that is a BA Degree Level 7 QQI for 3 years.

What’s the difference between that one and the QQI Level 8 for 4 years? Which one is the best?

Also, if I did a postgrad year in CBT (with the Level 7 or 8), am I suitably qualified to find employment or set up on my own.

Perhaps psychology would be best? If I had a degree in psychology what kind of jobs could I realistically apply for after?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Lots of threads on this with extensive information, checkout Finlan's thread and mine : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057833408

I have lots of friends with psychology degrees and they've all told me the only thing you can do with a psychology degree is apply for a post-graduate.

If you have the money it seems the 4 year masters in counselling is the way to go (you don't need a related undergrad and some courses don't even require any undergrad), I can't afford it. I have a friend with a masters in clinical psychology who is struggling to get a job as a counsellor because she says what they want is experience, not pieces of paper. I don't know if that's true across the board or she's just been unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 back2school

Many thanks for your response to this.

That is very interesting about the MA in it not even needing an undergrad! Which colleges do those? I don't think I have come across it!

I was hoping to do the BA and then a post grad in addiction studies maybe. I am not sure yet.

Have you heard any more on what is happening with the regulation of Counsellors and Psychotherapists? All the college sites are saying a Level 8 is the minimum needed to get on the new board when it is up and running.

Lots of threads on this with extensive information, checkout Finlan's thread and mine : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057833408

I have lots of friends with psychology degrees and they've all told me the only thing you can do with a psychology degree is apply for a post-graduate.

If you have the money it seems the 4 year masters in counselling is the way to go (you don't need a related undergrad and some courses don't even require any undergrad), I can't afford it. I have a friend with a masters in clinical psychology who is struggling to get a job as a counsellor because she says what they want is experience, not pieces of paper. I don't know if that's true across the board or she's just been unlucky.

Advertisement