Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 BMW 330e best BMW on sale in Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

bazz26 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the poster was looking at trading in his 330e M Sport after 18 months and the trade-in price equated to him losing 21k in 18 months on the car. The reason he was given for such a loss was due to the price of a new one including the grant rebate. That and the fact you can import a 6 month old one from the UK with very low VRT and balance of BMW warranty still on it.

I inquired last July/August about buying a 330e and I found BMW dealers useless when it came to getting information about the 330e, they would rather sell you a 320d all day long. One dealer didn't know anything about the grant process over being adamant that it was something I had to sort out myself and nothing to do with them. Very few 330e around to test drive and a factory order would not arrive until January if ordered in August. Glad I lost interest straight away as 21k is a fair chunk of change to lose in 18 months but then again buying any BMW brand new now is nuts given the depreciation they suffer in the early years.

Buy a 6 or 12 month old example from the UK and even allowing for not qualifying for the grant here you will save a good bit of money especially with the low VRT.

I am the poster referred to here.
    I have a 2016 m sport plus model and really like the overall package.
    It’s a quick, smooth, fine handling car.
    Economy is mid 50’s for me long term.
    The only bugbear has been the epic depreciation from new.
    Car was 51k after grants on the road and I was offered 30k against a 2018 530e. Subsequently this was upped to 33k.
    However, I think if I had bought any other “premium “ car for 50 odd grand the situation would be the same.
    I’ve learnt my lesson but actually am thankful I went pcp. I put in max deposit allowed and am at break even now. The new 3 series is being unveiled in October to go on sale March 2019 so my car will be the old model at end of term.The car will never have any equity so I will hand it back and probably go to uk to pick up a used car as long as there is still value there.
    I know phev’s seem to get looked down upon on these forums but it is a great package for someone like me that can’t go full electric yet but wants a nice handling performance car that is economical too.
    A second hand one makes a great buy I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I know phev’s seem to get looked down upon on these forums but it is a great package for someone like me that can’t go full electric yet but wants a nice handling performance car that is economical too.
    A second hand one makes a great buy I think.

PHEVs are great. Its all about the right tool for the right job. No point in say buying a leaf when u need the range extender of a i3 rex.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

They're not really 51k though I have a quote for a brand new one with pro nav and metallic and no other extras for 42k. It's an msport too.
    That's including 9% sterling marketing rubbish discount
    Government grants of 7500 I think
    An extra 2k reduction for straight sale

So the list price is much higher but depreciation starts at 42k not in the 50s.

Still quite the drop though
    Car was 51k after grants on the road

They've obviously significantly changed their discounts based on the above post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,730 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Car was 51k after grants on the road and I was offered 30k against a 2018 530e. Subsequently this was upped to 33k.

They're not going to make any money on that. So it looks like they were offering you a decent discount on the 5-er!

KCross wrote: »
    They've obviously significantly changed their discounts based on the above post.

I think the only difference is the 9% “sterling” offer. This is supported by BMW Ireland so the dealer can offer their own discount on top of this. The list prices have actually risen a little since I bought.
    On a Bmw, by the time you add metallic, delivery, service pack and other extras the figures escalate.

unkel wrote: »
    They're not going to make any money on that. So it looks like they were offering you a decent discount on the 5-er!

Yeah. The offer was fair enough really after I initially was disgusted when I heard the figures but it seems used car values of nearly new metal have tumbled due to sterling weakness.

Even if you set a off peak timer in the i3 it will charge for a certain amount during peak hours if it determines there isn't enough time to get to 100% in the off peak period, I have not tested this but that's my understanding.

I do know that from a low charge it will charge up a bit as soon as you plug it in regardless of timer settings.

I3 is only interested in 1 thing and that's charging to 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Even if you set a off peak timer in the i3 it will charge for a certain amount during peak hours if it determines there isn't enough time to get to 100% in the off peak period, I have not tested this but that's my understanding.

I do know that from a low charge it will charge up a bit as soon as you plug it in regardless of timer settings.

I3 is only interested in 1 thing and that's charging to 100%.

That's not something I ever experienced. The only time it ignored the night saver tariff is when you arrive home with a low SOC. It then charges immediately to around 10% then pauses until the tariff settings. That was a regular occurrence for me.

That's a nice feature to have as standard, particularly if you could program it. I'd have it set for 20% I think

One of the main reasons I still FCP charge locally now and then is to have the range to go somewhere if needs be. I would feel uncomfortable to hook the car up at 9PM with almost 0% battery knowing you won't be able to go anywhere until the car has at at least 30 minutes charge (starting at midnight in summer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Yeah there's no reason all of these EVs shouldn't have some advanced charging settings that allows for a lot of customizing and options. Have the basic settings as default with the option of advanced if they think users will be put off.

stesaurus wrote: »
    That's not something I ever experienced. The only time it ignored the night saver tariff is when you arrive home with a low SOC. It then charges immediately to around 10% then pauses until the tariff settings. That was a regular occurrence for me.

Tested it last night, it completely ignores the off peak timer to ensure the car is 100% charged by depart time.

Set off peak 5:30 am to 7 am, car was 100% charged, I was hoping it would only charge 2.5 hrs.

Yes it will also ignore the off peak if you plug in and the SOC is very low, which could be down to the fact your charge point may not have the power to ensure 100% within off peak time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Carney97

Yes but petrol engined cars are so much more refined than diesel equivalents (no pun intended). The overall driving experience on a petrol car compared to its diesel equivalent is far nicer, I have no problem paying a few quid extra on a tank of fuel to enjoy that experience...

I find that any diesel above 3l is very refined. But there are very few of them in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Carney97 wrote: »
    I find that any diesel above 3l is very refined. But there are very few of them in Ireland
    I've driven a couple of diesel V8s and one 3.0 6CYL and while they were awesome sounding they were not as refined as an equivalent petrol.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I've driven a couple of diesel V8s and one 3.0 6CYL and while they were awesome sounding they were not as refined as an equivalent petrol.

I have no doubt. Its also amazing the amount of power car companies can get from these small engines. The 1.4 TFSI petrol engine you can get in Audi's has 150bhp so its rather punchy. Above that the engine is incredibly refined and is far smoother than any diesel available.

Carney97 wrote: »
    I have no doubt. Its also amazing the amount of power car companies can get from these small engines. The 1.4 TFSI petrol engine you can get in Audi's has 150bhp so its rather punchy. Above that the engine is incredibly refined and is far smoother than any diesel available.

Even the first gen 1.4TSI engine had up to 170BHP back over 10 years ago!

Won engine of the year award too, which is a very prestigious price, traditionally mostly won by glorious BMW engines, but in recent years many times by these small highly strung engines like that one, Ford's 1l ecoboost, FIAT twin air, etc.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Even the first gen 1.4TSI engine had up to 170BHP back over 10 years ago!

Won engine of the year award too, which is a very prestigious price, traditionally mostly won by glorious BMW engines, but in recent years many times by these small highly strung engines like that one, Ford's 1l ecoboost, FIAT twin air, etc.

All the big German car manufacturers are turning to smaller engines. The BMW 318i used to be a 2l 4cyl petrol engine. Now its a 1.5l 3cyl engine. Cant complain cause it kinda sounds like a 340i (being have the displacement). Produces decent power too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

This seems to be the largest 330e thread on boards, so I shall post here!
    I have just gotten one of these, a 2017 M sport model in Estoril blue.
    Huge change coming from last few cars i have had, older passat and corolla :)

Am sorting the charging station at home now, and when i go to work i can charge there too for free (using granny charger at home atm). Does not come with a type 2 to type 2 cable by default, so i have one on the way from a boardsie, so my out and about charging has been non existent so far..
    Love the toys on this car.
    There is a HUD, adaptive led headlights, the larger professional screen. Great fun to drive.

Things i wish it had.
    Parking cameras...Very surprised it doesnt have it. Will probably see about adding this along with....
    Android auto! There is some fancy stuff available online from a company called bimmertech, which lets you add it.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjH7ytQBiSEO_TAOuKtLrZymft2-
    s!AjH7ytQBiSEO_TAOuKtLrZymft2-

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Enjoy and best of luck.

phill106 wrote: »
    This seems to be the largest 330e thread on boards, so I shall post here!
    I have just gotten one of these, a 2017 M sport model in Estoril blue.
    Huge change coming from last few cars i have had, older passat and corolla :)

Am sorting the charging station at home now, and when i go to work i can charge there too for free (using granny charger at home atm). Does not come with a type 2 to type 2 cable by default, so i have one on the way from a boardsie, so my out and about charging has been non existent so far..
    Love the toys on this car.
    There is a HUD, adaptive led headlights, the larger professional screen. Great fun to drive.

Things i wish it had.
    Parking cameras...Very surprised it doesnt have it. Will probably see about adding this along with....
    Android auto! There is some fancy stuff available online from a company called bimmertech, which lets you add it.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjH7ytQBiSEO_TAOuKtLrZymft2-
    s!AjH7ytQBiSEO_TAOuKtLrZymft2-
    You must have missed this one.
    Great car. Well wear with it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057551941

You must have missed this one.
    Great car. Well wear with it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057551941

I did, i was looking in the ev thread instead :)
    oh thats closed anyway..
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

my out and about charging has been non existent so far..

There's no real point publically charging the 330e, unless overnighting at a hotel or somewhere with free, complimentary charging.
    Paid charging will cost more than petrol, be too inconvenient & likely irritate full (proper :pac:) BEV drivers.

Well wear BTW :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Kramer wrote: »
    There's no real point publically charging the 330e, unless overnighting at a hotel or somewhere with free, complimentary charging.
    Paid charging will cost more than petrol, be too inconvenient & likely irritate full (proper :pac:) BEV drivers.

Well wear BTW :).

Thats not true, the 330e has a useable battery of 6 kWh x .25 cents = 1.50euro

on paper range of 37 km but lets say 30 km,

Looking at google, petrol only mpg for the car is 47mpg or 6l/100 km, which I will leave as is, so the same 30 km using petrol will cost 2.25 euro, a saving of 0.75 cents.

Not much of a saving, it only takes a minute to plug in and unplug and doing that 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year would be like being paid 45 euro an hour and 1000kg less CO2.

No point parking up for 2 hours and leaving a charger empty, if no one is using them, ecars are not going to put more in.

Lots of councils have free parking while charging also.

As for irritating BEV drivers, it takes very little. :D:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Thats not true, the 330e has a useable battery of 6 kWh x .25 cents = 1.50euro

on paper range of 37 km but lets say 30 km,

Looking at google, petrol only mpg for the car is 47mpg or 6l/100 km, which I will leave as is, so the same 30 km using petrol will cost 2.25 euro, a saving of 0.75 cents.

Not much of a saving, it only takes a minute to plug in and unplug and doing that 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year would be like being paid 45 euro an hour and 1000kg less CO2.

No point parking up for 2 hours and leaving a charger empty, if no one is using them, ecars are not going to put more in.

Lots of councils have free parking while charging also.

As for irritating BEV drivers, it takes very little. :D:D:D

It won’t even do that 30km. 20-25 more like it.

Gumbo wrote: »
    It won’t even do that 30km. 20-25 more like it.

Did you have one? whats the petrol only mpg like?

Did you have one? whats the petrol only mpg like?

Would be worse then a normal 330i as it would be heavier, so you would want to plug it in whenever you can.

Would be worse then a normal 330i as it would be heavier, so you would want to plug it in whenever you can.

Maybe when it suits, you can post some info on EV range and petrol only mpg.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe when it suits, you can post some info on EV range and petrol only mpg.

Thanks in advance.

Sure, i will take note of some of my runs this weekend and post them here.
    I topped up the petrol tank the other day, used very little since but forgot to reset the trip counter. May pop top it off again and see how long and how far i get on a full tank!

Sure, i will take note of some of my runs this weekend and post them here.
    I topped up the petrol tank the other day, used very little since but forgot to reset the trip counter. May pop top it off again and see how long and how far i get on a full tank!

I now have the home charger and try to use the work charger whenever i go in.
    I topped up the car on petrol on the 9th of this month for the first time in ages, and reset all the trip counters and such in the car.
    Posting this here will remind me of when i topped up.
    Noobie question here but is the onboard computer section where it shows E-consumption (electric), Consumption (petrol) and avg speed, is that the only place to get such readings?

I now have the home charger and try to use the work charger whenever i go in.
    I topped up the car on petrol on the 9th of this month for the first time in ages, and reset all the trip counters and such in the car.
    Posting this here will remind me of when i topped up.
    Noobie question here but is the onboard computer section where it shows E-consumption (electric), Consumption (petrol) and avg speed, is that the only place to get such readings?

First fill up since today, did little over 800km with 60km of range left.
    Fair few shopping trips into limerick where i was unable to charge for the most part.
    Stats
    E-consumption 13.8 kwh/100km
    Fuel consumption 64.9 mpg
    avg speed 32.5 km/h ( i seem to be some form of nun!)
    Quite happy with the car, i expect to be able to improve these numbers with time.

Advertisement