Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s important in your life?

Options
  • 11-02-2018 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

For the first time ever in my career I’ve turned down a promotion. It’s much more important to me that I can come home at a reasonable hour, with my smallies, do the homework etc. & spend time with them. It’s actually quite liberating to be doing so much of what I want & not what others expect of me. So what’s important in your life...?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

Icsics wrote: »
    For the first time ever in my career I’ve turned down a promotion. It’s much more important to me that I can come home at a reasonable hour, with my smallies, do the homework etc. & spend time with them. It’s actually quite liberating to be doing so much of what I want & not what others expect of me. So what’s important in your life...?!

Agree with you..it's family....

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Living without inhibitions. Too many people live their lives based on their fears, rather than having the courage to do what they really want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

My GTA Vice City soundtrack.

boxsetimage.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Getting one up on the neighbours.

Family, personal fulfilment, money and happiness. I am nowhere near the stage where I would turn down a promotion but hopefully in the future that may change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

My dna lasting long enough to make more dna. Each generation of dna becoming slightly more successful.
    One day we shall find what it’s all about and I want my dna there’s in one of the front seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Cheese and hats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Knowing how lucky I am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Oxygen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Icsics wrote: »

I did likewise when our children were young and turned down a move further from home. As it turned out, within a few years opportunities arouse at home and I was nicely positioned to avail of several promotions that culminated in my achieving a grade and salary the rejected promotion would never have yielded.
    Things often work out for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Tea. Definitely tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Family (dogs) and career

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Quality time with family. Work is work. Like the OP I'd be wary of further progression for the sake of work life balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My son's , particularly when they've done something on their mother and their pissin, themselves laughing behind her back.

I too turned down a promotion years ago .Best thing I ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My family come first but I'm also part of the family so while I won't do anything that impacts negatively on them - to a point - I'm not a martyr either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

My career. For personal fulfilment, because it will help give any future family an easier start in life and because it allows me to strike a balance between living comfortably now and investing for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

open and honest communication.

& expecting it back in return.
    life is too short to tiptoe around what you feel/need/want.
    the simple things:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Cats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Cats.

A good hairdressers in fairness - not to be underestimated. Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A good hairdressers in fairness - not to be underestimated. Good call.

I'm sorry, I don't speak Jackeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Family

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Family, and my own sanity.
    My job is meaningful and important, so that too, but I went part-time a few years ago as it was taking its toll on my physical and mental health, and I wasn't doing right by my family and myself.

I have no interest in promotions for money, but I am taking a turn career wise and retraining because an even more meaningful and important opportunity has arisen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My family and dogs.
    Yummy food.
    Alone time.

Not always in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

I would be concerned for the continuation of my family line into the future, but self-satisfied nihilism tends to make light of the topic. As my everyday labours don't give much hope of sending anything of note to posterity, better instead to prove my superior wit by writing posts like these, egged on by all my friend. :pac:

Not directed at anyone who's not a clumsy troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Happy wife, happy life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Family (2yo and #2 On the way)
    Health (exercise and mental health)
    My black Labrador
    Financial security (almost there)
    Pearl Jam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I did likewise when our children were young and turned down a move further from home. As it turned out, within a few years opportunities arouse at home and I was nicely positioned to avail of several promotions that culminated in my achieving a grade and salary the rejected promotion would never have yielded.
    Things often work out for the best.

...which was nice.

Advertisement