Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topaz 99c Petrol: Feb 12th - 16th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I bought a tyre pump recently for 25 quid. Saves going to a garage or paying any of those places a euro for air.
    Will more than pay for itself over the next 18 months or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

CeilingFly wrote: »
    You do know O'Brien sold it 2 years ago.

As for paying for air - your choice is a near always damaged second rate inaccurate pump free, or pay a euro and have a properly calibrated machine that is almost always working.

That might be your choice depending on what part of the country you live in but it's not the 'near always' situation for most people.

I have great garages locally with great owners who keep the facilities spic and span and well maintained. In my regular I'll see the owner out most mornings cleaning up the place and he couldn't be more helpful when asked.
    I'm sure you'll have similar if you open your eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

yabadabado wrote: »
    I bought a tyre pump recently for 25 quid. Saves going to a garage or paying any of those places a euro for air.
    Will more than pay for itself over the next 18 months or so.

Bring it back, you won't get 18 months outta that cheap yoke.

Kuva wrote: »
    Bring it back, you won't get 18 months outta that cheap yoke.

One that my dad has still going strong at least 5 years after he purchased it. I think I'll take my chances, much handier to check tyres inside in the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

No, DOB does not own it any more. But he got those government contracts in.

For those that think Topaz brings you further, maybe a little but definitely not worth the difference in price. Topaz down end of my road is 1.39 for petrol. Maxol is 1.35, Apple is 1.34 and Go which is not far away is 1.32. Always at least 5c more expensive than others near me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

killanena wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been mentioned already but I work for topaz and how it's going to work is when you visit one of the selected sites of the day and say "miles fuel gets you further" to the sales assistant you get a voucher that can be used in that store anytime within 2 weeks to get the 99c fuel so you don't have to fill that day. Hopefully shouldn't be as crazy as the black Friday sales that some sites held.

If you dont have to actually buy fuel to get the voucher then this promo will be easily gamed- its not hard to see how four tradesmen on the road will just go in and get four vouchers. You would have to get up very early in the morning to have a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

xpletiv wrote: »
    No, DOB does not own it any more. But he got those government contracts in.

For those that think Topaz brings you further, maybe a little but definitely not worth the difference in price. Topaz down end of my road is 1.39 for petrol. Maxol is 1.35, Apple is 1.34 and Go which is not far away is 1.32. Always at least 5c more expensive than others near me.

Jesus then dont use them. Do you try to get people to ban your local shop for charging more than aldi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Haven't used them for years due to their O'Brien and Cowen connections. Coupled with the fact their fuel is always the dearest going I'll be giving this a miss

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This thread is about 99 cent fuel.
    Not who owns/was on the board at some point or about air.

No more off topic posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If you dont have to actually buy fuel to get the voucher then this promo will be easily gamed- its not hard to see how four tradesmen on the road will just go in and get four vouchers. You would have to get up very early in the morning to have a chance

It will be announced on the Facebook page each day which sites and what time frame you have to collect the voucher. 200 vouchers per site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok- so no cut price fuel on sale between the 12th and 16th Feb- its the first two hundred people to turn up and utter the Topaz advertising slogan- get a voucher for 99p fuel for use within 2 weeks..........

The offer is misleading as hell..........

I normally get my diesel in Topaz- as I've gotten dirty fuel in <SNIP> a few too many times- and I don't know about elsewhere- but Topaz pricematch the competition in North Kildare- there is no price differential.

Can't see myself going out of the way for a voucher that I might or might not get. If I knew I could get cut price fuel- or the voucher- sure, I'd make an effort- but this random crap isn't worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I seen this in action before. It was a danger to everyone, people in shop/people queue/people just trying to get on with daily lives. It is a joke they are allowed to run this sort of promo again.......people are willing to nearly kill themselves to save a tenner on fuel that is slowly killing them anyway

Here is a better bargain than 99c per ltr....

It costs me €1.85 per 130km(with a very heavy foot)
    So that is €1.42 per 100km

Most petrol/diesel cars are at least 6ltr/100km(based on numbers in motor forum which I doubt are correct)
    So that is €5.94 per 100km

That is circa 76% saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I seen this in action before. It was a danger to everyone, people in shop/people queue/people just trying to get on with daily lives. It is a joke they are allowed to run this sort of promo again.......people are willing to nearly kill themselves to save a tenner on fuel that is slowly killing them anyway

Most petrol/diesel cars are at least 6ltr/100km(based on numbers in motor forum which I doubt are correct)

That's a tad dramatic.

And the comparison with your EV results is hardly relevant.

...and 6ltrs/100km, and better, is easily achievable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

Mr E wrote: »
    From Monday onwards, the chosen sites will be revealed each morning on the Topaz Facebook page

Some stations in Galway Mayo Roscommon and Limerick up on fB now.

By now it could already by too lste!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

*Topaz Bohermore, Bohermore Galway Co. Galway
    *Topaz Glynn’s, Carnmore, Opp Galway airport Co. Galway
    *Topaz Mulroy’s, Moneen Roundabout, Castlebar Co. Mayo
    *Topaz Casey’s, Roscommon Town Athlone Road Roscommon Co. Roscommon
    *Topaz Ballysimon Road, Limerick Ballysimon Rd Limerick Co. Limerick Limerick South
    *Topaz Newcastlewest Killarney Road, Newcastlewest Co. Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Anyone know what time this finishes

As soon as all the vouchers are gone, so it will vary from petrol station to petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

just happened to pull into carnmore Galway and was given 2 vouchers. Used one for 50 litres just now and can use the other again within 2 weeks. quiet there with no queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

just happened to pull into carnmore Galway and was given 2 vouchers. Used one for 50 litres just now and can use the other again within 2 weeks. quiet there with no queue.
    all gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

dodzy wrote: »
    ...and 6ltrs/100km, and better, is easily achievable

:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Gone from Mulroy's in Castlebar in less than 2 hours

You have never seen this promo in action its different that the crap they had before Xmas.

As for your ev prices totally irrelevant to this thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I have a 2ltr diesel Audi A6 estate.
    I get 56 miles combined to the gallon- that is 4.54 litres per 92km
    I'm not sure what they're driving over in the Motor forum- but I've a great big bloody estate- and I'm getting significantly better mileage than you're suggesting.

Your mileage suggestions are *way* off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Today's list!

Topaz Eastgate, Ballincollig, Cork.
    Topaz Polefield, Blackpool, Cork.
    Topaz Douglas, Cork.
    Topaz Lee's Charleville, Cork.
    Topaz Aherne's Thurles, Tipperary.
    Topaz The Reeks, Killarney, Kerry.
    Topaz Galvin's Dunmanway, Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Picked up a voucher earlier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Today's list!

Topaz Eastgate, Ballincollig, Cork.
    Topaz Polefield, Blackpool, Cork.
    Topaz Douglas, Cork.
    Topaz Lee's Charleville, Cork.
    Topaz Aherne's Thurles, Tipperary.
    Topaz The Reeks, Killarney, Kerry.
    Topaz Galvin's Dunmanway, Cork.

5 in Cork:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

They did west/midwest yesterday.

Probably midlands or south east tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Today's Stations!
    Topaz Waterford Rd, Kilkenny Co. Kilkenny.
    Topaz O'Briens SS, Lynn Road, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath.
    Topaz Knockavilla Service Station, Knockavilla Rd, New Ross, Co. Wexford.
    Topaz Manor, Manor Street, Waterford Co. Waterford.
    Topaz Athy, Dublin Road, Athy Co. Kildare.
    Topaz Brennanstown, Hollybrook, Bray Co. Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Here's a better bargain than your electric car.....

I drive a 2.5 6 cylinder petrol that does about 30mpg. It's not particularly economical at all.
    It's 11 years old and I bought it for absolute peanuts. It's not really depreciating any more.

If I keep if for 2 years and get absolutely zero for it, it will cost me 100 euro a week including tax, fuel, insurance and repairs.

You're not driving any electric vehicle for less than that cost.

See....its all relative. Why bring up smug electric car stuff in a thread about petrol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

The thread is about a 99c petrol bargain, not fuel efficiency

Advertisement