Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Frat boy"

Options
  • 09-02-2018 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Just after watching an episode of "The Naked Truth" on Netflix. Always hear mention of frats and sororities in U.S based films , sitcoms etc but never really knew what they are. Holy **** though, most pathetic things ever! These are adults (well would be considered so here) pledging allegiance to a group and seems like if you're not in 1 youre a loser. Dunno I'm just gobsmacked .. Has any1 here experience of this crap? I'm assuming and hoping it doesnt go on in colleges here?!
    Them yanks are mad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

hqdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They have something similar over here in Austria and Germany.. they are usually associated with German nationalism, they wear stupid hats and do sword fighting. I think something like 30% of the Austrian far right party's politicians were in one, and they hit the news a few weeks ago when it was found that the club of one of their top politicians had published a book of songs back in 1997 with the lyrics 'Here comes Ben Gurion, give it some gas* and we'll reach 7 million'

103C855B-35F4-4B9B-9929-1BB5A847CC07_v0_h.jpg

*this is a normal phrase too, meaning 'step on it' or 'accelerate'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It's similar to a LinkedIn Masonic association.

If you are a Tri Kappa Delta from Yale, you might get interviewed by a Tri Kappa Delta from Clemson University. You have a much better chance of getting the job.

It's basically beginners freemasonry and the golden circle for university students. Follows down through the generations.

You're ma boy, Blue!

You're ma boy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

They have something similar over here in Austria and Germany.. they are usually associated with German nationalism, they wear stupid hats and do sword fighting. I think something like 30% of the Austrian far right party's politicians were in one, and they hit the news a few weeks ago when it was found that the club of one of their top politicians had published a book of songs back in 1997 with the lyrics 'Here comes Ben Gurion, give it some gas* and we'll reach 7 million'

103C855B-35F4-4B9B-9929-1BB5A847CC07_v0_h.jpg

*this is a normal phrase too, meaning 'step on it' or 'accelerate'

Benny Hill lives

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Benny Hill lives

1382585693-0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

My friend went to college in Florida and said they're very annoying, but do have this entertaining thing where it's all super macho but also very gay.

And I'm not using that term flippantly or in a derogatory way; one of hazing things involved a line of pledges walking through campus naked, with their hands on the arse of the guy in front and the dick of the guy behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

tupenny wrote: »
    Just after watching an episode of "The Naked Truth"

Dig out Old School and give it a watch - give you a better feeling on u.s college antics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

you're just hearing about frats now and it's blowing your mind, you need to get out more.

besides the hazing rituals it's just young college idiot kids being college idiot kids. the same as 'lad culture' over here and england, but they usually have a big house of their own that gets passed down and so they take care of it, whilst groups college of lads here just rent a place and wreck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I spent some time in UCSB about 17 years ago (damn Im old) and
    they had the frats for the lads and the sororities for the girls.

This college though was a bit against them, you didn;t need to be in
    them to have a social life - far from it.

But I heard in other - especially east coast - colleges to have any
    social life you'd have to be in one.

But yeah, the Frats were Jock macho dickheads and the sororities were
    stuck up push c*nts (but would drop the knickers super fast for the frat
    all american football quarterback ... )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Doesn't the Dublin rugby school thing lean towards this to some extent? Following the English public school rituals moreso though.

Yeah 'OTT macho but ultimately homo' is the best description of this effort at supposed elitism.

They loved that crap in Heidelberg in Germany, an old university town - they had this fencing/dueling tradition where a scar from a cut to the cheek was a badge of honour.

No concept of how it pathetic it appears to outsiders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

one of hazing things involved a line of pledges walking through campus naked, with their hands on the arse of the guy in front and the dick of the guy behind.

Sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some of the initiation procedures used in these Frats are scary.

'Hazing' is the term I think. Prospective members have even died in certain instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Odhinn

tupenny wrote: »
    Just after watching an episode of "The Naked Truth" on Netflix. Always hear mention of frats and sororities in U.S based films , sitcoms etc but never really knew what they are. Holy **** though, most pathetic things ever! These are adults (well would be considered so here) pledging allegiance to a group and seems like if you're not in 1 youre a loser. Dunno I'm just gobsmacked .. Has any1 here experience of this crap? I'm assuming and hoping it doesnt go on in colleges here?!
    Them yanks are mad

Here we have rugger buggers, but the Americans seem to be in a league of their own devising. At least the Austrians clatter each other with swords.

topper75 wrote: »
    Doesn't the Dublin rugby school thing lean towards this to some extent? Following the English public school rituals moreso though.

Yeah 'OTT macho but ultimately homo' is the best description of this effort at supposed elitism.

In the 1980's - Gay all ye want as long as you never admit it, are never open about it and condemn it as an aberration. Do that, and you can be the gayest rugger playing gay of all gay time. Though being too effeminate would get ye a slap on the bottom. In a manly way. No idea if its the same mad denial abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Odhinn wrote: »
    In the 1980's - Gay all ye want as long as you never admit it, are never open about it and condemn it as an aberration. Do that, and you can be the gayest rugger playing gay of all gay time. Though being too effeminate would get ye a slap on the bottom. In a manly way. No idea if its the same mad denial abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Some of the elite US colleges have extremely weird sexual and cultlike stuff going on. In particular Skull and Bones in Yale. Lots of same sex shenanigans copied from the English public schools too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Your wife is university age? That's interesting, you should tell us about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Here's what I don't get about fraternities and sororities. What I loved about college as that all the cliquey cool crowd BS from school was in the rear-view mirror. That shit just did not matter in college and it was so liberating. These organisations seem intent on perpetuating that "exclusive" bullshit. It's kinda childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,975 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I was in the English equivalent in their uni sports clubs.

The rituals were outlandish and involved a lot of gay stuff. Gay in the sense that you need to be secure in your sexuality to do it. It's like ' prove your masculinity by rubbing Tabasco sauce on your bellend or playing a game of rugby in the nip using a rotting chicken as a ball. It's a strange one.

Great craic if you're involved and probably very annoying for anyone else. Mostly harmless

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    It's similar to a LinkedIn Masonic association.
    The Stonecutters are upset about equality.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42986319
    The Freemasons have placed full-page advertisements in several national newspapers calling for an end to the "discrimination" against their members.

There are about 200,000 male Freemasons and 4,700 female Freemasons in the UK

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My friend went to college in Florida and said they're very annoying, but do have this entertaining thing where it's all super macho but also very gay.

And I'm not using that term flippantly or in a derogatory way; one of hazing things involved a line of pledges walking through campus naked, with their hands on the arse of the guy in front and the dick of the guy behind.

I believe the traditional refrain is something like
    "blah blah latent homosexuals blah blah" :pac:

For all the pisstaking and generalisation of women in After Hours, the shít-stupid male cultures like this one get a very easy pass. "Lad" culture is generally for the loudest, most group-think and most ignorant arseholes of all.

It's obnoxious, overbearing and intrusive, be it these unquenchable arseholes in America, the rugby "lad" culture in south Dublin or all those (usually soccer-supporting) arseholes in pubs across Ireland who scream at roaring televisions while some of us are trying to have a quiet chat with friends somewhere else in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah the rugby lads get splashed by their mates a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Sounds like a sinn fein initiation ceremony :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,975 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

For all the pisstaking and generalisation of women in After Hours, the shít-stupid male cultures like this one get a very easy pass. "Lad" culture is generally for the loudest, most group-think and most ignorant arseholes of all.

It's obnoxious, overbearing and intrusive, be it these unquenchable arseholes in America, the rugby "lad" culture in south Dublin or all those (usually soccer-supporting) arseholes in pubs across Ireland who scream at roaring televisions while some of us are trying to have a quiet chat with friends somewhere else in the pub.

Yeah that might be true. It was great craic though. And they were a great community away from the rugby banter. Instead of all the usual factors that divide people, you just had to do the rituals, initiations and play rugby. and you were accepted by the group. If didn’t matter what other interests you did it didn’t have. Gamer geeks, gym jocks, book worms. It didn’t matter as long as you were one of the lads, you were part of the family.

There was no bullying because everyone volunteered for the humiliating rituals and everyone had equal respect because they had c been through the same experience. There was hierarchy by virtue of years in the club, but everyone was subject to the same rules and punishments.

I Wouldn’t do it now but it was great fun at the time. If you can handle a bit of craic and don’t take yourself too seriously, it’s a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

Your wife is university age? That's interesting, you should tell us about it.

Don't get him started, he's always bragging on here how he's 40 and she's 20 ....
    yes we get it , you are a legend!!!

It's not that she had daddy issues and you provide great security ... no no no no ....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

All we do here is get pissed and steal traffic cones.

• Advertisement

All we do here is get pissed and steal traffic cones.

..too old to even do that anymore....ran out of room for the cones as well.....

Advertisement