Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Donnells of Gorse Hill rehomed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don't like wishing people ill will.
    But may their house have draughts they can never find the source of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

How is this possible ?

They came out of bankruptcy on 28th August 2017.

They bought a new 6,900 sq ft property with no mortgage for almost €1.86 million in September 2017.

They had owed over 70 million Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This is why people vote for Sinn Fein.

Nah. People vote Sinn Fein because they like shouting 'hey baby let the freebirds fly', during the Fields of Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd be willing to bet that their wealthy kids bought it..
    The same kids were the ones the parents claimed to have signed gorse Hill over to... So the bank shouldn't have it....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

How did they go from being bankrupt (effectively broke) to spending 2 million on a house in just a couple of years?. If they used money that was hidden away isnt that fraudulent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No point getting angry it just uses up your energy for no good reason at all, breathe out and let it go.

There will always be people who can manipulate the system some way or another, just like the homeless according to yer man who are gaming the system.

I think they also have properties in swanky parts of London.

Look, if their creditors didn't object what can any of us do. You just have to look at the developers coming out of NAMA and building huge developments again, no shame at all, just smirks and rubbing of hands and the millions they will make again.

I just make my porridge in the morning, and am thankful my conscience is clear, and my health is ok. I put on the blinkers, because sure as heck all the cries of foul in the world will not change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I have the same issues with banks as the next person.

BUT ...with the Gorse Hill story - they were 100% in the right.
    I couldn't get at the time how the ass that is the law dawdled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It is because they are surrounded by wealth they might not have access to any actual cash but their family will provide them with a property ( not buy a property ) or support them in some way so technically they will have no assets but their lifestyle will only change a little.

I remember hearing a story during the downturn of someone who went completely bankrupt fancied themselves as some sort of property investor, they came from a wealthy family and his family supported him and his wife and family while he technically appeared to be broke.

So it's not fraud as such.

I would put a bet on that a trust or some such entity owns the house they are in and they are just living in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

mariaalice wrote: »
    It is because they are surrounded by wealth they might not have access to any actual cash but their family will provide them with a property ( not buy a property ) or support them in some way so technically they will have no assets but their lifestyle will only change a little.

I remember hearing a story during the downturn of someone who went completely bankrupt fancied themselves as some sort of property investor, they came from a wealthy family and his family supported him and his wife and family while he technically appeared to be broke.

So it's not fraud as such.

If their children gave them the money then where did they get it from?

It might not be their children their own parents could still be around although that's unlikely or could be other family involved. The children could have made money themselves. I'm not saying any of it is right but the thing about being wealthy its protects people from reality.

• Advertisement

Probably money from the parents that was transferred over long enough before their bankruptcy to not have been considered as having been transferred to avoid the bankruptcy.

It is probably perfectly legal but it stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

RoboRat wrote: »
    This country is a bloody joke and the fact that people get away with abusing systems that are put in place to protect the most at risk is scandalous.

Its the people that in habit this country that make it the joke it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Owe the bank a hundred grand, it's your problem. Owe the bank a 100million, it's their problem!

So if someone becomes bankrupt should their family be prevented from supporting them financially? should their family be responsible for their debts? its
    an interesting question.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I see this sh1te every time this type of thread comes up. Who are these other wonderful political organisations you refer to ?? Our supposed savours just waiting in the wings for their chance ??

Can't be FF, FG, Labour or the Greens, they've all had their chances to £uck us over. Which of the remaining dregs do you suggest will lift us magically out of the mire. SF? Renua ? Shane Ross et al ??? Don't make me laugh.

We get the politicians we deserve ?? There isn't any choice in this country !!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

You missed the pds ffffing us over too, McDowell and Harney the biggest joke of them all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This is why people vote for Sinn Fein.

When we supposedly got rid of fianna fail, you felt it had hit rock bottom. Little did we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

You have to bear in mind that this is the same O’Donnell whose absolute proof there was a conspiracy against him was that he had made 95 applications to the court in relation to Gorse Hill and he had lost every single one of them.

When he dies they should donate his neck to science. We might be able to develop something stronger than titanium.

mariaalice wrote: »
    So if someone becomes bankrupt should their family be prevented from supporting them financially? should their family be responsible for their debts? its
    an interesting question.

If they were the source of the family's wealth and it was a blatant transfer of endangered assets then yes

Bankruptcy is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Does anyone know who their accountant is?

I never missed a day nor went on strike for higher pay
    For twenty years I served them best I could
    Now with a handshake and a cheque it seems so easy to forget
    Loyalty through the bad times and through good
    The owner says he’s sad to see that things have got so bad
    But the captains of industry won’t let him lose

He still drives a car and smokes his cigar
    And still he takes his family on a cruise, he’ll never lose

Well it seems to me such a cruel irony
    He’s richer now than ever he was before
    Now my cheque is spent and I can’t afford the rent
    There’s one law for the rich, one for the poor

Every day I’ve tried to salvage some of my pride
    To find some work so’s I might pay my way
    Oh but everywhere I go, the answer’s always no
    There’s no work for anyone here today, no work today

And so condemned I stand, just an ordinary man
    Like thousands beside me in the queue
    I watch my darling wife trying to make the best of life
    And God knows what the kids are going to do
    Now that we are faced with this human waste
    A generation cast aside
    And as long as I live, I never will forgive
    You’ve stripped me of my dignity and pride, you’ve stripped me bare
    You’ve stripped me bare, you’ve stripped me bare.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who thinks 'O'Donnells of Gorse Hill' sounds like something from the great Brian Friel's play Aristocrats, where the 'aristocrats' of the title were an O'Donnell legal family?
    'Aristocrats is a play about ghosts. Set in the large decaying house of District Justice O’Donnell, it explores a cluster of grown-up children who are haunted by the success of their forebears and their family’s grandeur falling into ruin. The ailing Justice O’Donnell is himself a spectral presence – he spends most of the play in an upstairs bedroom – but he makes his presence felt throughout the house by means of an intercom. His children are also beleaguered by his ambitions for them, and by their own inevitable failures...' (Brian Friel, Aristocrats)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    We are a country that doesn't treat the people who make difficult sacrifices and contribute the most to society well. An example being the value we get from our taxes being absolutely appalling.

Sadly after the last 10 years I don't see any hope for real meaningful change.

There never was going to be change. The system is rigged and that is never changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I see this sh1te every time this type of thread comes up. Who are these other wonderful political organisations you refer to ?? Our supposed savours just waiting in the wings for their chance ??

Can't be FF, FG, Labour or the Greens, they've all had their chances to £uck us over. Which of the remaining dregs do you suggest will lift us magically out of the mire. SF? Renua ? Shane Ross et al ??? Don't make me laugh.

We get the politicians we deserve ?? There isn't any choice in this country !!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I don't expect SF to be any different but i will be giving them the opportunity to prove me wrong.

FG, FF and Labour have proven time and again they are incapable of governing for all our citizens and pander to their special interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The money was just resting in the banks account, social economic oppression 101

Advertisement