Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google IS listening

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Patww79 wrote: »

You'd be letting thousands of strangers past your front door, who do you imagine runs this stuff and would you trust corporations or employees to never use that access for malign intent?

What could possibly go wrong? :D

Disturbing that the new normal seems to be a feeling of helplessness to do anything about this and an acceptance that the new way of the future is having zero privacy and being surveillanced constantly. So much for technology improving our lives. This technology is going to lead to a dystopian world. I know Patww79 doesn't agree, but it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I read a great book by Jeffrey Deaver called The Broken Window that reminds me of a lot of the issues raised here.
    It's a Lincoln Rhyme novel and I won't give the plot away but it shows how data mining/storage could potentially be very dangerous if it is misused.
    Posters who are saying 'I don't mind my information being collected or Google tracking me because I have nothing to hide' should read it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

I for one welcome our new AI overlords!!

simpsons-1.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is what I get on this thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Time for Plan B

441172.jpg

It would be interesting to find out who here pays for their services, ie, email, storage.. etc..

Most of us would place a "No Junk Mail" on our letterbox, yet we are happy to use a free email service which makes money on advertising.

There is a cost to provide these services, to both parties....

Interesting Documentary here for anyone who has Amazon prime
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Data-Center-True-Cost-Internet/dp/B074PGMXQ6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

silverharp wrote: »
    they would know the phone is in Ireland though?

Spanish people speak Spanish in Ireland.

10% de descuento en su próximo viaje en un carro de arroz a Dingle!!

I love google.

NoDrama wrote: »
    It would be interesting to find out who here pays for their services, ie, email, storage.. etc..

Most of us would place a "No Junk Mail" on our letterbox, yet we are happy to use a free email service which makes money on advertising.

There is a cost to provide these services, to both parties....

Interesting Documentary here for anyone who has Amazon prime
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Data-Center-True-Cost-Internet/dp/B074PGMXQ6

junk mail is not targeted to what I want/need and i have to bend down to pick it up.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

So you've no phones,tv's, console's,credit cards etc? I don't know how you allow a browser in the house.

Richard Stallman is looking for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

conorhal wrote: »
    Would you trust a large corporation to put microphones and cameras in your house that monitor you 24/7?

And yet people are buying products that do just that from Amazon's Alexa and now Google home.
    But it gets creepier according to new patents that Google have filed.
    With camera's, facial recognition software, wearable tech they also propose that these AI devices will now go from answering question to talking back.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/5536999/google-smart-home/

"The system, according to Google's dystopian patent, would even be able to track your children's mischievous behaviour.
    When children are near a drinks cabinet or are in their parents' bedroom alone, the system may infer that mischief is likely to be occurring," the patent explains."
    It gets even scarier: the Google AI could even nag your entire household by "monitoring chore completion".
    The smart home will even help look after your mental health (which could be affected be the surveillance hub tracking your every move); "It may be beneficial to monitor the emotional state of occupants in a household.
    This could be done using facial recognition or body temperature trackers, or using information gleaned from wearable devices.

Just think about that for a second. Google wants to go from pushing adds based on your search preferences, to chiding you for not hoovering and monitoring your every arse scratch. It's positively Orwellian.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwilws_uwpzZAhUqKMAKHXKeDywQjRx6BAgAEAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsimpsons.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FUltrahouse_3000&psig=AOvVaw3eV-DkkizskRZA5JlTLaJn&ust=1518392429654551

limnam wrote: »
    So you've no phones,tv's, console's,credit cards etc? I don't know how you allow a browser in the house.

Richard Stallman is looking for you

As the wise man says "pay cash and be anonymous".
    And access email using emacs..

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Happened to me today - Myself and my husband were discussing going out for dinner and I said I would be happy to drive and just have one small glass of wine, which would be fine to have if I ate a decent bulky meal.

Next thing, I looked at the phone and already typed in to the Google search bar were the words "decent bulking meal" and a list of search results. It hadn't heard me exactly, but near enough.

Horrible and I'm very interested to see that this is an active thread on boards at the moment. Obviously they've just upped the eavesdropping/spying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

skynet-thumb-700x571.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

The day before yesterday, we were joking in work about a colleague being a salesman's wet dream, and referencing the fact that he bought some shower head with rocks in it to "de-ionise the water". We were as vague as that. Since then, all my ads on Facebook are for a particular brand of mad rocky shower head...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Indeed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just in case there is any confusion

That's not a thin foil hat, it's a parabolic reflector. And the dimensions are optimal for government frequencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Selfheal wrote: »
    Happened to me today - Myself and my husband were discussing going out for dinner and I said I would be happy to drive and just have one small glass of wine, which would be fine to have if I ate a decent bulky meal.

Next thing, I looked at the phone and already typed in to the Google search bar were the words "decent bulking meal" and a list of search results. It hadn't heard me exactly, but near enough.
    That happens to me a bit, but only cause I've sat on the home button on my phone which explicitly activates voice search, could something like that have happened here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm skeptical, have you ever actually asked your phone to do something? The voice recognition isn't great at all, I usually have to slow my speech down and enunciate carefully to do any 'OK Google' stuff. So I doubt that while my phone is in my pocket it can hear me say quietly say "Oh my I just wish I knew what electrical gadget to spend this £200 on!".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

Valmont wrote: »
    I'm skeptical, .. I usually have to slow my speech down and enunciate carefully to do any 'OK Google' stuff...

it appears to start recording sometimes if it hears OK, or something that sounds like it...

At the site where you can see your own personal audio Google are admitting to capturing from You..

https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity?restrict=vaa

I can see My audio captures are not working well for them - but occasionally they catch a few words correctly.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Valmont wrote: »
    I'm skeptical, have you ever actually asked your phone to do something? The voice recognition isn't great at all, I usually have to slow my speech down and enunciate carefully to do any 'OK Google' stuff. So I doubt that while my phone is in my pocket it can hear me say quietly say "Oh my I just wish I knew what electrical gadget to spend this £200 on!".

I have found that switching the voice recognition to "Australian" helps it understand me better (I'm not Australian btw).

On a related note, I see where the girl that does the technology bit on Newstalk was ill and her boyfriend programmed Google home to play a tiny violin on TV every time she said she wasn't feeling well.....

Advertisement