Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Bay Spring Sportive April 14th

Options
  • 06-02-2018 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

The Magee Donegal Bay Spring Sportive is set to roll for another edition, taking place on April 14th this year. Same great routes, scenery and hospitality.

https://www.facebook.com/events/185238795544396/

We were very honoured that our event was recently voted as Best Leisure Event 2017 by Cycling Ulster. Nice to get recognition for all the work that goes into organising what is a club event.

Due to the huge increase in numbers, the Club Committee took a decision to cap numbers this year and as a result, this means registration for the event will be online for the 140/100k routes. Online entry is now open at this link.https://sirius.eventmaster.ie/event/Gk9TkKtpd

Unfortunately, as a result this means that prices have increased slightly, but still a very reasonable €20 for CI members including food stop, hot food at finish plus hot showers/changing facilities and of course lots of amazing scenery.

Our numbers have increased by 150% over the last two years and as a club, we felt it would be better to cap numbers and run a quality event rather than let it turn into something that is too big for a club to run. There are enough 'big' sportives out there charging an arm and a leg for entry.

Looking forward to seeing some of you on April 14th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭PhillySteak9

Great event and brilliant value. Did the 100km last year. Just registered for the 140km. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,374 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is there many climbs ? What are they like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ted1 wrote: »
    The first half has lots of short but steep climbs while there are a few longer ones in the second half. Nothing over 300m and about 2,200m overall. It's a tougher than average sportive - as much climbing as the WW200 in a much shorter distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

it's mainly short and steep and lots of them. E.g.
    440959.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Never been to Donegal. 140km will be a nice introduction. Signed up.

• Advertisement

Tried to register but it won't accept my CI licence number - displaying message "No Member Found". :(

Tried to register but it won't accept my CI licence number - displaying message "No Member Found". :(

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭declan_8

Did the 140km last year and it was great. The additional 40km over the 100km route was a challenge although I probably didn't have enough training in the legs last year only covering a few 70k spins prior but I managed to get through it.
    It was very well organized and the weather last year was a bonus, hoping for more of the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

A wee taster video for anyone who wants to know what they will see at our Sportive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1g3jsmLYt3M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

PM Sent

Having the same issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Be under no illusions. This is very fcukin hard. And last year the weather was absolutely perfect. Factor in a much more typical Wild Atlantic Day and you'll looking at a world of pain...

Epic route though. I'm definitely going back

Number accepted when I tried again tonight so I'm in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

The first half has lots of short but steep climbs while there are a few longer ones in the second half. Nothing over 300m and about 2,200m overall. It's a tougher than average sportive - as much climbing as the WW200 in a much shorter distance.

WW200 has a good bit more than that, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

strmin wrote: »

Same:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

strmin wrote: »
    MicktheMan wrote: »
    Same:)

Based on my experience in 2016, you'll get a warm welcome, a challenging ride and a lovely hot meal to set you up for the trip home.

Got my issue registering sorted (more an issue with my licence than anything else).

Signed up and looking forward to it after hearing all the good reviews. Bargain for €20.

With just under 5 weeks to go, places are filling up fast for the Magee Donegal Bay Spring Sportive on April 14th.

Be sure not to miss out on getting registered for this great event, voted Cycling Ulster Leisure Event of the year 2017.

Follow the link below to get registered for the 140/100k routes
    https://sirius.eventmaster.ie/event/Gk9TkKtpd

I'm signed up and dragging a few new recruits with me. Sure the weather is always glorious in Donegal in April isn't it?

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'm signed up and dragging a few new recruits with me. Sure the weather is always glorious in Donegal in April isn't it?

sure is

LATE ENTRY FOR SPORTIVE?

We have had quite a few people enquire about possible late entry for 100/140k routes. Unfortunately for those who would still like to enter, we have reached our numbers limit for those routes and will be taking no late entries.

We would love to accomodate everyone, but we saw a huge increase in entry last year(it almost doubled) and almost got caught short on a number of issues. To prevent those problems arising this year, we decided to introduce online entry and limit numbers.

The Sportive is a Club run event and we would prefer to put on a quality event and keep entry prices low, rather than have a huge event that we would struggle to run and cost a fortune to enter. There are enough super expensive events out there.

We apologise to anyone who missed out, but the Spring Sportive will be back next year. It is still possible to enter the 50k route on the day if you so wish. If you have any queries, please get in touch with us.

• Advertisement

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057860963

I've an entry which I will not be able to use if you want to give it to someone eager to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ridley noah fast

you still got that enrty?? would love to do this event?/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ridley noah fast

anyone out there with a spare ticket???missed out on sign on my own fault love to do this event???

anyone out there with a spare ticket???missed out on sign on my own fault love to do this event???

If anyone swaps places, could you please get in touch with us to leg us know the names of those involved in the swap.

DonegalBay wrote: »
    If anyone swaps places, could you please get in touch with us to leg us know the names of those involved in the swap.

I've sent you a pm Ridley Noah dude.

How would you like me to notify you DonegalBay - pm me a contact email address if you like?

Have a spare entry as well if anyone is interested:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106701498&postcount=3

I can't seem to find my confirmation email for this event. Will my CI licence and ID be enough to register?

Thanks.

I can't seem to find my confirmation email for this event. Will my CI licence and ID be enough to register?

Thanks.

yep i have pre filled registration sheets so you jusy need id /ci license to prove who you are !
    sorry for late reply just back from route signing

That was a really enjoyable day. Superb organisation all round. Loved the pasta at the foodstop. The best sportive in the country.

That long drag out of Ardara against the wind was tough going. Thought it would never end.

Thanks to all involved.

(Now the Tour de Foothills tomorrow as the recovery ride! :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Based on my experience in 2016, you'll get a warm welcome, a challenging ride and a lovely hot meal to set you up for the trip home.

You're not wrong. A big well done to all involved. Great event, great organisation and a great day in the saddle overall (except for that god awful headwind on the drag out of Ardara)

Advertisement