Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruiting a live in carer

Options
  • 06-02-2018 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

We're at that stage after 4 years of heavy duty caring we need to get a live in carer as we can't keep going- even with the home care package & respite. 2 parents one with Alzheimers needing personal care, one with Parkinsons but totally with it. Devoted to each other and we all hate the thought of nursing homes. Only 2 of us and cannot move in with them though we will continue to help out so live in carer will have plenty of support & guidance, plus home care package.

Came across this agency Affordable Live-in Homecare who bring in foreign nationals and do all the screening, garda vetting, english language, personality screening etc before you interview. Rates seem pretty good starting at €355 plus placement fee. They provide ongoing support to the carers and seem fairly professional. Tax relief can be claimed. Have asked them for references.

Anybody have any experience of this agency?
    Or can anybody recommend any other options for recruitment?

All thoughts appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 openhealth1

Thanks for taking the time to reply Melendez,
    All good issues you are raising which are making us think again!
    The agency do specify a 35 hour timetable to be filled out and we would want to treat the person well so not looking for 168 hours a week. At the moment night time care is not needed but I can see it going that way so would need to reconsider.
    Are you aware of any good agencies that you can recommend.?
    Thanks so much
    Carol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 openhealth1

Gosh Melendez,
    That was a really awful experience. Thankfully our individual carers are absolute angels. They even ring the office (very poor staff there) when they notice some else is not going to be available. It's only when they're on well deserved holidays we have problems with carers not turning up.

Thanks for helping

carol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Thanks for taking the time to reply Melendez,
    All good issues you are raising which are making us think again!
    The agency do specify a 35 hour timetable to be filled out and we would want to treat the person well so not looking for 168 hours a week. At the moment night time care is not needed but I can see it going that way so would need to reconsider.
    Are you aware of any good agencies that you can recommend.?
    Thanks so much
    Carol

Brilliant advice given by Melendez. would you ever think about looking for more home help hours and maybe taking turns with the night duty yourselves. I know what you mean about nursing homes i would break my heart Hope you get something sorted out soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

http://www.careworld.ie/live-in-overnight-care-services/

I have had experience of these and i found them very good. I hope this is of help to you - there are also cheaper agencies out there too. I have had direct experience with live in carers and i would say its overall very positive. many are from the poorest countries and are traditional tribal women in my experience. Best wishes to you.

Advertisement