Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Car Salesman

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

A few questions now this thread has been running for a bit of time;

Thank you for your very detailed answers

Has it changed people’s outlook of sales people and the industry?

I would think so.

I know there are a number of stereotypes out there but do people think sales people in general have changed in recent times?

No sure but think as the quality of cars and living have improved, that has had a positive impact on the industry in general.

Is buying a car a daunting or pleasurable experience?

Both. It can be a very pleasurable and exciting experience but daunting in that it is a big financial commitment. Closest thing to asking a girl out as a teenager!

What would people most like to see from a sales person when dealing with them?

3 things:
    1. Appreciating the level of research and knowlege that the customer may already have rather than telling them things they know.
    2. Finding out what the customer really wants (you have covered this and good sales people have this down).
    3. Very importantly, on the test drive, not to talk too much. I want to hear and feel the car not make small talk..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

4, Part of the contract you sign when collecting a new car has a section where you are accepting the condition of the car so this puts the responsibility on the buyer to check out the car.

Sorry meant to ask you about that, how is someone like an elderly lady expected to thoroughly check the underside of her car etc. for damage etc. before she leaves the forecourt ?

In your experience, what percentage of buyers crawl under their new car before they drive off the forecourt ?

Do many ask for the car to put up on the garages lift so they can have a proper look before they leave ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Almost all used cars I have ever test driven at a dealers have almost zero fuel in them, is this as a result of people trading them in almost empty or do the dealers syphon the fuel off?

1. Has it changed people’s outlook of sales people and the industry?

2. I know there are a number of stereotypes out there but do people think sales people in general have changed in recent times?

3. Is buying a car a daunting or pleasurable experience?

4. What would people most like to see from a sales person when dealing with them?

1. No , I always knew their was good, bad and in-between , just like in all walks life.

2. No, tactics, offers, laws regulations etc. change and have their effects, but as per answer one, there wll always be the good, bad and in between.

3. bit of both, it's getting harder all the time though to get to the bottom of the real price.

4. Honesty and less evasive answers, but again that goes for all walks of life, not just salespeople.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Almost all used cars I have ever test driven at a dealers have almost zero fuel in them, is this as a result of people trading them in almost empty or do the dealers syphon the fuel off?

I'd say the staff just drive anything with fuel in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭Damien360

I know there are a number of stereotypes out there but do people think sales people in general have changed in recent times?

1. Actually this thread has been an eye opener. We are in the middle of trying to buy this week and I am more forgiving.

2. The boomers are long gone and hopefully stay away. What's left is a generally older knowledgeable group. There is a few clowns left though.

3. Hateful. Trying to buy a petrol and cannot get anything but new. Spending guts of 24000, more at a stretch (trading a 07 avensis petrol with small mileage) and the specs in the brochure plus the advertised price don't match the dealer figures. Cost to change generally around same for most below.

Toyota - easy to deal with (CHR or Corolla)
    Hyundai - easy to deal with (i30 fastback or Kona)
    Seat - laughable (Arona). Nothing to test drive and lony waiting list
    VW - wouldn't even talk to us in showroom (t-Roc)
    Skoda - couldn't find a sales person - same place as VW (Octavia)
    Ford - easy to deal with but spec does not match brochure (focus)

4. Honesty. We walked away from a Ford focus last year when the salesman insisted we needed a diesel with 6000km per year. Yes she needs a bike instead. He denied any issue with diesel with town mileage and there were no filters in the focus to cause issue. Quick Google sorted out that mystery.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Have you or anyone you have ever come in contact with in your life personally checked the underside of a car for damage when buying from a dealer?

Why use an elderly lady as an example? How would you expect a 30 year old man to thoroughly check for damage on the underside of his new car when he goes to the showroom to collect it? :confused:

Because he says the customer is responsible for inspecting for delivery damage and spotting it before they leave, that's why I'm asking, and wondering how do they expect people to do it in reality and how many do. I do know someone that does, because he was caught out in the past, so that's why I asked, I don't see the problem with asking in an ask me anything thread. Underneath is one of the areas most prone to delivery damage, as the cars come off loader ramps, ferries etc. And the lads that drive them on and off the ferries are not known for their graceful care.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not this thread but being in the industry for the past year certainly has
    Completely, with all the info etc on the internet sales have to know their stuff so they don't get caught out by clued in customers, can give a brief overview or something any more, people want a lot of detail these days. They also need to work much harder with all the choice available, not even the manufacturers will support you against same franchise dealers in your territory any more for example.
    It's still a pain in the arse more than anything IMO.
    Honesty and interest in what you actually want, not just what they have on the floor to sell
    Bob_Marley wrote: »
    Sorry meant to ask you about that, how is someone like an elderly lady expected to thoroughly check the underside of her car etc. for damage etc. before she leaves the forecourt ?
    . If you can't check yourself bring someone you can or take the risk that you are happy with it without fully checking.

To be fair you are buying a product that has been checked and audited at every point along the way (if new). Every car gets a pre-delivery check, up on hoist etc and the garage would reject it if issues found and send it back on the transporter, minor damaged is fixed locally at manufacturer or distributor cost.

Used, 100% on you to check it to your satisfaction IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

- It has as I have some more insight
    - Have only dealed five years ago with several when buying my car, but I don't think they changed
    - In general I would say daunting as the process is quite unknown, but as I was exposed to negotiation courses and got some interest in it, I am really looking forward to my next buy to see this all in action.
    - I would like to see an honest open salesman, that helps me to buy what I need, cause to be fair, in reality the sales people should know better than me what I need as my wants can come in and that muddies the water. I would like a brand new Porsche Carrera, but my finances and family indicates I might need an used Ford Galaxy. ;)
    Or when I bought a motorbike, I wanted to buy a 50cc, but the sales person convinced me that I would have so much more fun with a 125cc, and he was right, more than a decade later I still think this was one of the best buys I ever did.
    And I would like to see that the pressure is put off me, that makes me more likely to buy, if I get told that the mechanics sister is in a snow storm, but she would buy that car as soon as comes here, so I better decide right now I always turned around and left.
    Or to come back, when I bought my car, I told my father in law what I was looking for, he called his trader of 20 years and told him what I was looking for. Basically Hatchback around 8000 Euros, reliable and should last for at least 5 years. So he came back and said one of their young mechanics is selling is Opel Astra and he can lay his hand in the fire for it. So they drove the car to my work, I inspected it, gave it a test drive and with a hand shake the deal was done in 15 minutes.
    But also I was send away as there was nothing fitting there at other occasions, this makes me trust you more than selling at any price. I might not buy today but I have you on my list for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

1) Has it changed people’s outlook of sales people and the industry?
    2) I know there are a number of stereotypes out there but do people think sales people in general have changed in recent times?
    3) Is buying a car a daunting or pleasurable experience?
    4) What would people most like to see from a sales person when dealing with them?

No. I do not believe anything out of the mouth of someone selling cars.
    I suspect my present car was not a demo car as advertised, but a rental.
    ("nearly new" six months old, 15k kms)
    It broke down four times in the first ten months.
    My view on sales people and the industry is that they treat people in a short term fashion i.e. how much can they get in this deal.
    When the deal is done then the service department can look after them.
    That was my third car from that dealer, the previous two bought new.
    They have lost me due to poor treatment.
    I will go elsewhere, and to another brand.

2) I know there are a number of stereotypes out there but do people think sales people in general have changed in recent times?
    I think sales people are not the problem.
    They are working for owners who decide the deals.
    I those many sales people have to get the deal approved by their boss.
    My best experience was buying my second new car from that dealer in early 2009.
    Business was very slack in 2009, and he was in no rush.
    I bought a more expensive model than I had intended that day as I had time to stroll around and look at what was on display while the salesman was elsewhere.
    He was also one of the owners and had a more rounded view of cultivating customers with a view to a continued association.

3) Is buying a car a daunting or pleasurable experience?
    I would say it is an unsatisfactory experience.
    I think they try to get you driving as they know it makes you more likely to take that car.
    You have been driving an older car and the new model impresses immediately.
    They should expand the picture and give you a full list of cars (new and secondhand) that meet your budget and needs.
    They tend to take cues from the buyer and focus on that initial car choice exclusively.
    They should ask if the buyer is adamant in their choice or would they like to expand the selection.

4) What would people most like to see from a sales person when dealing with them?
    Put yourself in the place of the buyer.
    Try to get their motivation for buying.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep I'm a Car Salesman, AMA

Thank you for all of the comments and sharing your views and thoughts on car sales in general.

Some of it has been very interesting just to see how negative some buyers before they even begin the process.

My comments would be yes there are bad sales people but there are also good ones. We are all only humans trying to do a job so I would encourage people to approach it with an open mind and give sales people a chance, certainly keep your wits about you and don’t believe everything, make sure you also have some knowledge about what you are buying.

I appreciate sales people are trained to be the experts so they should advise you as to what is best but like any industry there are bad ones out there, don’t be afraid to walk away if you don’t feel it’s 100% right for you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

diomed wrote: »
    My view on sales people and the industry is that they treat people in a short term fashion i.e. how much can they get in this deal.

Isn't that the whole point of the departments/jobs? The sales people sell and the after-sales department i.e. service department looks after you from then on :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Hi very interesting AMA thanks for doing it. I've always wondered how one man car sales operations can have 20 or more cars for sale.
    A lot of the ones I'm talking about sell on cars that have been traded in to main dealers who don't retail them themselves.
    Does the dealer have to pay the main dealer up front. If this is the case they would have a fair bit of money tied up and sitting in their yard for who knows how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

diomed wrote: »

Isn't that the whole point of the departments/jobs? The sales people sell and the after-sales department i.e. service department looks after you from then on :confused:

Yes but it's quite sickening how fake the sales guys can be. They will remember your name 5 years later (probably check your reg for owner name) when returning to buy a car yet return 1 month later with a fault and happen to wander around the showroom when waiting and the same guy who was all over you won't even acknowledge you.
    Nobody is asking him to fix the car but he could say hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

But what if the car has two separate serious problems shortly after I bought it?
    One was the car stopped three times for about 20 minutes each time in the first ten months.
    There was no warning message on dash to explain it, no sound from the starter when I tried to start it.
    The first time it happened was a couple of months after I bought it.

Another major problem was one day the car was unable to accelerate on the motorway, and was very sluggish.
    Fuel mileage for some time had been nothing like the advertised figures (by about 30%).
    The car needed a new exhaust gas recycling valve.
    What is telling is it was immediately fitted by an independent garage in Kildare, not my garage in Dublin.

My experience with my own dealer in Dublin was they did not find the problem (the three breakdowns).
    One time I was directed by the dealer national 24/7 emergency response to another garage in their network.
    They were not interested.
    Their response was there was no problem as I had driven the car there.

You don't expect to be stuck on the side of the road after two months, and then your service department's explanation is you are not starting the car properly i.e. you are not pushing down the clutch pedal sufficiently when starting.
    This "solution" ignores the fact that the car had been ok for a couple of months, and also that the driver had forty years driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

My view of it is that if a salesman had to look after issues with the car afterwards a lot of his time would be taken up with this even though his job is sales. After sales departments look after issues.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi guys, going to close this one up now. Thanks so much for the questions and of course for the answers! It's been an interesting one to read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement