Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'You decide your fate. Are you going to fall apart or own it?'

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

!0 hours down and this

Current top 5 women 24hr:
    Samantha Amend
    Louise Smart
    Paula Wright
    Lorraine McMahon
    Aoife Lyons

that's our girl

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Neady83 wrote: »
    !0 hours down and this

Current top 5 women 24hr:
    Samantha Amend
    Louise Smart
    Paula Wright
    Lorraine McMahon
    Aoife Lyons

that's our girl

Not my day sadly :(
    Stomach issues from the start so pulled out as couldn't take on any of my fuelling so was runnimg on empty for hours. Physically felt great which was very frustrating. My amazing crew tried every possible thing to keep me going but nothing worked. Could have killed myself to get to 100 miles or maybe a bit more in a pukey mess, but decided to save it for another race instead as running 100ish miles wouldn't mean anything to me. This way i recover more quickly and can get back at it in a few day.
    Think i ran just undet 80 miles in 14 hours not sure.
    Was due a bad one i guess :( oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sorry to hear that. You were doing so well. Your pacing was incredible. How you kept going for 14 hours is beyond me. It shows how good your training was. You did the right thing and I admire you for pulling up when you did. Can’t have been easy. I hope you enjoyed some of it at least?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. You were doing so well. Your pacing was incredible. How you kept going for 14 hours is beyond me. It shows how good your training was. You did the right thing and I admire you for pulling up when you did. Can’t have been easy. I hope you enjoyed some of it at least?

Can't say I enjoyed much of it to be honest.
    Thanks, you're very kind :)
    I know deep down I did the right thing, for me, but still a bitter pill to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

When you are not feeling well and you know you aren’t right or in a position to do what you set out to do, it’s an awful feeling of disappointment and pressure.

On a positive note I hope you are really proud of yourself for what you did do. Look at how your place kept moving up the table every few laps. You were incredible. It was amazing to track. The training will stand to you another day. Big hugs and hope you sleep like a log now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Gutted or you A. I've no words but to say that you made the right call in my eyes, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done A, on making such a hard decision and I agree it was the right one I hope your feeling better now and recover quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Gutted for you A, but happy that you made the decision to stop. All that training still in the legs and a nice long - well, medium for you - run in the bag. Your pacing was unreal !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Tough luck, A - there'll be other races though and tough and all as can be to make those calls, there's a fine line really.
    Recover well and look forward to those other races

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Ah so sorry to hear that :( - please don't feel too bad about it, there was nothing you could do. I think you had a second one lined up just in case, didn't you.

Hope you are having a rest and some time off

• Advertisement

You guys are great. Thank you. I got my fuelling wrong today so back to what I know suits me. Nausea from the start was just never going to make for a good outcome.
    Trying not to get too depressed about it and viewing it as a really great training run for my next 24 hour assault probably in September.
    Legs don't feel too bad at all but I am very badly sunburned:o
    It was extremely warm yesterday which didn't help matters with the stomach. Amazing crew and coach did fab job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Really sorry it didn't work out for you this time Aoife. Thankfully September is not too long to wait for another shot, with a brilliant block of training behind you. Recover well. The sooner the sunburn heals up the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

So sorry to hear the day ended up like that, seems so cruel given the training you put into it. Fingers crossed you're feeling better soon and fair play for thinking ahead to the next attempt already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Truly gutted for you. Sport can be so cruel at times. But as others have said the training will stand to you, roll on September! Hope you have a speedy recovery now and are ok mentally as well as physically again very soon, do take some time and some tlc for yourself xx

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Gutted for you, but the right decision in the circumstances, I hope you get the the opportunity to try for your target again soon. It was lovely to meet you BTW!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Very disappointed for you. You did some awesome training and deserved so much better.

The bad days are there to make the good ones special. This was just a small setback, your time will come!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Training will stand to you especially as you pulled the plug early so you can recover quickly for September

Still another few days of moping to do:o, and decision making...

legs feel great so hope to do a little run today.

thanks so much for the posts of support etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

It's 24 hours racing.... everyone has good and bad days... everyone (even Eddie). I always reckon you get a better learning experience from the bad days (definitely my experience). Weaknesses can be identified and targeted for elimination. Learning how to run 24 hours (and longer) well is not at all easy. So embrace the learning to become a better runner, and put all the knowledge acquired into place in the next one. It really is a case of what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Advertisement