Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Councillor puts plans in train to reopen County Limerick railway station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Would love to see it but twont happen.Kilmallock is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I can really see IE opening a station on a 100mph section of Dublin-Cork line when Charleville is under 15 minutes drive from the village where IE only stop 4 Cork trains and 1 Tralee train per day. Getting a better service out of Charleville should be her priority but I can't see the need myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

She acts like people are dying because this station is closed. Five miles to the next station is hardly a horror show. Absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Ah stop! Next we'll have the 5 people who live in Knocklong campaigning to get their station reopened

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

I'm gonna be that guy, the guy who p1sses all over everyone's optimism. You will also forgive me for a long post (I hope)

I've been involved in politics since I was a kid and you see the same tropes in the media all the time to the point where it seems like groundhog day

Every now and then you'll see "TD proposes x " or "Senator proposes x " or "councilor proposes x " and people who are not politically savvy read that as "x is going to happen"....you must avoid reading it like that.

A labour minister I usually don't like, proposed decriminalizing drug USE about 2 years ago, which is such a no brainer nobody opposed it, and he was an actual minister (a junior one but still) and ministers have power to actually do things. It still has not happened, in fact they announced today they are still "moving ahead" with it to let people know it's still alive. Now there is a process you gotta follow, which is designed to prevent situations like Trumps original travel ban, its a filter system for dumb ideas, where you have to go through a procedure to ensure everyone who might be affected gets to comment on it, experts look at it, funding is looked at etc etc but even there it does not take YEARS for a simple proposal like that it should take about 3 months. Yet were still waiting.

TDs, Senators and Councilers have no power- whatsoever in reality. I once asked a council candidate from my party (sadly... I wish she'd defect ) what she planned to do with the job since there are very limited powers for councilers and to my utter sadness she stared at me blankly and fumbled I could tell ...jesus christ she's never actually thought about it...you haven't thought about what you might do with the job and you put your name on a ballot paper? seriously?? I've since learned this is sadly common.
    In a hung dail/senate (like we have now) a private members bill might have a chance of passing, if its' a REALLY good one it might even pass in a non-hung dail. RARELY if the general idea is good but the bill is terrible it can even pass, in heavily ammended form, like Gino Kellys utter train wreck of a medical cannabis bill which needed a major cleanup (cannabis can be a good painkiller and have minor effects on nausea and seizures but it's not the cure all drug the alternative medicine nuts claim don't trust the stories you see in tabloids they always leave out critical facts). So it can be hard for TDs, and they have power over national policy and a national profile, a counciler does not, and transports national policy.

They can lobby, call attention, but they can't MAKE it happen. She's highlighting the issue but has no power whatsoever to make it happen - which is why I'd run for the Dail but never the council , you can't DO f---g ANYTHING.

Then you gotta think of the merits of the proposal, Kilmallock has a population of 4700 people IF you include the rural part - how many are going to use this station? Were gonna slow down a de-facto express service and add to it's running time harming it's competitiveness as a transport mode to pick up what will end up as what? 4-5 people at a time?

I'm gonna say something mean, nasty and Dublin centric, and I confess I grew up between the south boundry of the liffey, east coast and east of the m50...and I don't care.
    "“It’s a disgrace you have to go to Tipperary or Cork at Limerick city to get the train" - no, it's not.
    I'm sick of hearing this sh1te from rural people - SICK of it. You chose to live in a rural area, you have upsides and downsides to that, this is one of the downsides. I hear this all the time with hospital locations too where people just won't accept the common sense notion that a bigger regional centre with multiple specialties that sees more foot traffic and a bigger variety of cases will get you way better care even if it takes you longer to get there than having a half arsed, badly staffed badly equipped hospital in every town . But with health it's life and death so you'd have a case saying it's a disgrace in that dept, there area areas where it is, where the regional center is too far and people taking sensitive treatments have to travel too far, its a disgrace there is not more air ambulance coverage for such areas to speed their time to hospitals...not having a train stations not a disgrace.

The other councilors arguments seem to be "there is line going through the area therefore there should be a stop" - what??? Sorry mate, there is not enough demand there to justify it, we could stop at every town in the country and it would take 6 hours to get anywhere but Maggy and Dessie have a station near them. Please try to understand: we can't make national policy for Maggy and Dessie, that's the problem with this kind of perspective it ONLY sees Maggy and Dessies part of the picture but national policy makers have to ZOOM OUT and see the WHOLE picture.

• Advertisement

Don't be wasting your time peeing on everyone's optimism.there's no one here saying it's going to happen. No one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Cant see it happening there's just no demand for a railway service in those parts where most people drive or use the bus the railway service is the poor relation its simply not feasible and anyway they have Charleville right on their doorstep and Limerick isnt that great a distance away i really dont see any point in it reopening the population just isnt there to sustain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Could someone possible help me, I'm trying to find a smiley that represents someone smashing their face against a spiked wall repeatedly...

Charleville: 10 minutes away
    Colbert Station (Limerick): 30 minutes away

How in the hell would there be any demand when there are 2 stations in relatively close proximity? What exactly does Kilmallock have to offer that warrants the demand for its own train station? Are they planning on building a Gaelic version of Disneyland there or? Universal Studios Europe? Jesus...

I'm stumped... I'm only about 20 minutes from Kilmallock myself and I cannot see how it needs a station.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Have just listened a piece on the news with her talking.

Seems like a right Mrs.Idealistic now to be honest with no regard for reality or cost :)

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Have just listened a piece on the news with her talking.

Seems like a right Mrs.Idealistic now to be honest with no regard for reality or cost :)

I bet you any money she's one of them people that genuinely believes money grows on trees!

Let me check my wallet... Ok not any money but I do have a fiver, €3.67 in change, a coupon for SuperMacs and an unused tissue.

• Advertisement

She's actually a decent enough skin.left sf due to alleged bullying.An independent now.In fairness,Kilmallock has been run into the ground due to neglect so I'm presuming that a railway stop was just one of her points.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

padohaodha wrote: »
    She's actually a decent enough skin.left sf due to alleged bullying.An independent now.In fairness,Kilmallock has been run into the ground due to neglect so I'm presuming that a railway stop was just one of her points.

exactly. all she proposed was the reopening of the station. it's not going to happen but it's hardly the end of the world her proposing it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

You can have neck and still think money grows on trees!

Yes she has other points, however the train is her main one, which she has advertised personally on the media. This is quite frankly bizzare as Charleville is very close nearby and only manages 5 services a day. Even if the Limerick-Cork line reopened, it's likely that Kilmallock would never reopen. It's not that big of a place.

EOTR, I don't think anyone has had much of reaction at all, so I'm not sure where you're going with your suggestion of an end of the world type reaction from users on here, but I'd suspect not very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Every parish should have its own pump....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Is she proposing to slow down intercity trains? after we've been spending money trying to make Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Limerick trains as fast as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'd understand it if Charleville wasn't so close. Perhaps she should start some cross-border relations and work with County Councillors from Cork about getting an improved service in Charleville.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i think the line is very underused,one train per hour each way leaves plenty of scope for stopping trains Cork to Limerick with re-opened stations at various places (Buttevant,Rathduff, Blarney and others). I'm not sure Kilmallock is a good start to such a proposition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Better idea to open a railway Station in Effin.
    Think of the fun to be had with the name!

Seriously, there must be a Council Election coming up.

there's no Effin station?

Charleville train station is actually in Effin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

I've never been in the Effin place, so....

Isambard wrote: »
    there's no Effin station?

Effin hell!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

the funny thing about Kilmallock is it should be a much better town than it is, it has serious potential to do well out of tourism. There's no reason it couldn't be like Adare etc.

The train is the least of it's worries.

It's biggest problem is that it used to be an important staging post on main limerick cork road.now it's out of the way and has become secondary to Charleville which is on the National road.

It's biggest problem is that it used to be an important staging post on main limerick cork road.now it's out of the way and has become secondary to Charleville which is on the National road.

it's none the worse for that ,Charleville is the Pits

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

the funny thing about Kilmallock is it should be a much better town than it is, it has serious potential to do well out of tourism. There's no reason it couldn't be like Adare etc.

The train is the least of it's worries.

It's got some features other places would kill for, but it's a pretty dreary provincial town tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Evil-1

Fully agree with XPS Zero above, however one should always leave room for optimism, I would actually agree there is a case for the re-opening of several long closed stations in Cork, Kerry and Limerick, however (before I get to the practicalities) cases where this would happen would have to be backed up by local authority plans for strategic expansion of those towns to actually allow the service to grow towards sustainability, a good example is the Western Rail Corridor which gave great scope to expand the towns added to the network but this never happened and as such the service is stagnant, in short what I am saying is that opening or reopening a railway station can not be done in isolation, joined up thinking is required and as we all know this is very lacking in Irish politics.
    Now for the practicalities, the lines with potential for station reactivation are also mainline rails with express services operating on them, so in order to have local services that do not obstruct the express intercity services there is an obvious line capacity issue, in order to have any hope of adding stations (stops) the Cork- Dublin would have to be upgraded to 4 line operation between Limerick Junction and Mallow (possibly all the way to the tunnel in Cork) and two line operation between Limerick Junction and Limerick and Mallow and Tralee, the cost of an upgrade like this is into the billions of €, and thats before we talk about the additional rolling stock required, Irish Rail is already in the grips of a fleet shortage and it takes years from request for new units to delivery of new units due to the unique dimensions of Irish rails, then there is staff requirement, I wont go any further than saying Irish Rail is currently saying it cant afford to pay the staff it already has.
    Is there a commercial case for an expansion as described above, good God no, there is no commercial case for this whatsoever, however there may be a social and infrastructural case for it, but that comes with the warning that as I have said above this can not be done in isolation, there would have to be buy in from bodies like the IDA and Enterprise Ireland to provide jobs to these expanding towns and from local authorities to provide homes and other infrastructure to expanding towns, and of course the NTA who would have to fund what would essentially a huge loss maker for the first decade of its existence until usage grew to a self sustaining level, the only commercial element from a project like that is that it would allow Irish Rail to improve its intercity speeds considerably.
    What are the chances we could ever see this happen, well there are plans for massive expansion of Cork and Limerick cities over the next 20 years and that is already in progress, there is a plan for Mallow but only because it already has good rail access and is on the route of the planned M20 motorway and is deemed capable of expansion, outside of that though I dont see anything of any significance that would justify spending billions on new railway upgrades, I would be hopeful that such a plan would emerge in the next few years, but given the current state of politics in Ireland I wont be holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Charleville train station is actually in Effin.

It certainly is a long way from Charleville, especially in the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Should Newcastlewest reopen its railway line on account its a larger town than Kilmallock its just as logical isnt it why should Kilmallock be ahead in the pecking order when its population is smaller.

• Advertisement

Mutant z wrote: »
    Should Newcastlewest reopen its railway line on account its a larger town than Kilmallock its just as logical isnt it why should Kilmallock be ahead in the pecking order when its population is smaller.

What about Kilrush? The West Clare railway is surely ripe for opening if Kilmallock is for it :)

Advertisement