Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to the gym nutrition plan

Options
  • 04-02-2018 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I’m new to the gym, never been in my life. Just recently hired a personal trainer as I want to gain muscle. I’m a skinny lad at 24 and need to change my diet and lifestyle. I have cut take aways (that I had 2-3 times a week), chocolate bars (that I had at least 2 a day) and crisps (nearly every day). My trainer told me to gain muscle I should be consuming at least 2000 calories a day.

Here is my meal plan that will change everyday, please tell me what you think!

BREAKFAST
    Bran Flakes (130cal)
    Banana (100cal)
    Strawberry Milk 750ml (750cal)

LUNCH
    Chicken & Veg Soup (100cal)
    Bread Roll (120cal)
    Strawberry Yogurt (66cal)
    Pint of milk (199cal)

DINNER
    Chicken Breast (150cal)
    Potatoes (140cal)
    Peas (55cal)
    Broccoli (50cal)

TOTALCALORIES: 1,850

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What other advice has your trainer given as regards nutrition?

You're still shy of 2000 calories and there isn't much protein in there.

I suspect some of the calorie counts youve given there are smaller than they would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What is your weight?
    2000 is nowhere near enough energy to gain muscle. Unless you are very very small.
    Because you are cut on multiple takeaways, crisps and chocolate, and are probably hindering your goal. Combined with the extra actiuvity, you'll probably lose weight on that intake.

Eating eat three square meals only, instead of multiple meals and snacks, is fine. But it meals the meals have to be bigger. Aiming for 900-1000 cals each imo. Breakfast is the only meals close to adequate there. More protein, more fat, more high calorie foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

24 yr old training you need to up the volume of food, have 2 pieces of chicken instead of one etc., if appetite isn't there have the second one earlier or later in the day. Not as experienced or technical as the lads here but when myself and the brothers were training for gaa we used to eat a lot and still wouldn't gain weight, 3 fillets at dinner if chicken, plenty spuds veg, etc. I'd say the mother was delighted to see the back of it at the weekends

Advertisement