Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

85 Corolla. Thoughts?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

That Mini looks great. Leather in the later cars is a very nice thing to have, and very expensive to retrofit. I'm not sure how often you plan on using the car, but that car would be nicely suited to regular-ish use, unlike a much older Mini.

Yes its very nice. Plan on driving it about 2/3 per week no more than 5000 miles per year.

I've sourced a lad in Delgany to have a look at it and it turns out he has worked on the car. He says it is spot on. Fingers crossed!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Yes its very nice. Plan on driving it about 2/3 per week no more than 5000 miles per year.

I've sourced a lad in Delgany to have a look at it and it turns out he has worked on the car. He says it is spot on. Fingers crossed!

Best of luck.

Minifix in Cloghran might be a good shout to give it a once over given both the car and themselves are in north Dublin. Always nice to be able to have a chat with a mechanic familiar with the car though!

What's the best history check I can do. Cartell?

Gravelly wrote: »
    God it makes me feel old that these are now considered a classic. I suppose if you're under 30 it probably looks the same to you as, say, an Anglia or a Vauxhall Victor would look to me. I think it's a bit strongly priced, but with classics they really are worth what you're willing to give, and if the price seems reasonable to you, go for it. It probably will increase in value over the next few years. It's probably going to be more reliable than most modern cars which isn't something you can usually say about classics!

I'm not very au fait with Mini prices, but from a quick look at Donedeal I see three decent looking (in my opinion) 90s Minis. Two are €10k and £10k, and another is €6k. The red one linked by WCH looks much nicer than the €6k example too. I'd say its about on the money if it is a good example. I think later examples can and do command a good premium because they are much more usable than older cars.

Personally, and I'm speaking just from my own experience with no offence intended - I think Minis (like Beetles and VW buses) are often too expensive for what they are. I've had a number of Ado16s which I always found to be far superior to Minis. They were Britian's best selling car for most of their production run after all!

Their range (Morris/Wolseley/MG/Riley etc) had something for everyone. An MG or Riley for pace, a Wolseley for luxury or refinement. The bog standard Morris offered everything the Mini did but with more doors and more space.

Thats not to say that the newer 'old' Minis don't offer a lot that an Auston/Morris/MG/Riley 1300 can't - and that is drivability in the modern world. I am not in any way trying to put down WCH's choice - I think that red Mini is a fantastic looking car, I certainly wouldn't say no to it myself! So I hope I'm not taken up in the wrong way.

What's the best history check I can do. Cartell?

I always use motorcheck. If you plan on viewing multiple cars they have special offers for doing more than one history check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I'm not very au fait with Mini prices, but from a quick look at Donedeal I see three decent looking (in my opinion) 90s Minis. Two are €10k and £10k, and another is €6k. The red one linked by WCH looks much nicer than the €6k example too. I'd say its about on the money if it is a good example. I think later examples can and do command a good premium because they are much more usable than older cars.

Personally, and I'm speaking just from my own experience with no offence intended - I think Minis (like Beetles and VW buses) are often too expensive for what they are. I've had a number of Ado16s which I always found to be far superior to Minis. They were Britian's best selling car for most of their production run after all!

Their range (Morris/Wolseley/MG/Riley etc) had something for everyone. An MG or Riley for pace, a Wolseley for luxury or refinement. The bog standard Morris offered everything the Mini did but with more doors and more space.

Thats not to say that the newer 'old' Minis don't offer a lot that an Auston/Morris/MG/Riley 1300 can't - and that is drivability in the modern world. I am not in any way trying to put down WCH's choice - I think that red Mini is a fantastic looking car, I certainly wouldn't say no to it myself! So I hope I'm not taken up in the wrong way.

I agree with everything you say there, though I should point out that I was referring to the Corolla not the mini (my fault for not quoting the post I was referring to).

Gravelly wrote: »
    I agree with everything you say there, though I should point out that I was referring to the Corolla not the mini (my fault for not quoting the post I was referring to).

:o apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Right then an update.
    Toyotas are out, too many restrictions insurance wise.

Do you mind me asking, what restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭tc20

I've sourced a lad in Delgany to have a look at it and it turns out he has worked on the car. He says it is spot on.

nice Mini WCH - going by the reg, nicer interior & rear plate shape, I'd wager that was a Japanese import (I had a '95 for a couple of years) - one thing in particular with these is the engine is an MPI (multi point injection) - bit trickier to get to run 100%, and may have emissions issues come NCT time.
    If the guy in Delgany is Lloyd, he's a top man for Minis.
    Best of luck if you go for it, one of the best drivers/fun cars ever :cool: (imho)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Right then an update.
    Toyotas are out, too many restrictions insurance wise. As tempted as I am with the 340 its just too pricey. Seem to be around the £1000 mark in the UK.

I've just had a look at a 97 mini, very good condition. Im going to do the usual history checks and have a garage lined up to do an inspection if things check out. Anyone any thoughts on this https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1997-mini-cooper-1-3l/17896189

Thanks again everyone for your inputs.

Wonder what the length of chain under the driver's seat is for :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Do you mind me asking, what restrictions?

I can only get "driver only" insurance on certain Toyotas. Wanted to get something where if the wife wanted to take it for a spin she could.

tc20 wrote: »
    nice Mini WCH - going by the reg, nicer interior & rear plate shape, I'd wager that was a Japanese import (I had a '95 for a couple of years) - one thing in particular with these is the engine is an MPI (multi point injection) - bit trickier to get to run 100%, and may have emissions issues come NCT time.
    If the guy in Delgany is Lloyd, he's a top man for Minis.
    Best of luck if you go for it, one of the best drivers/fun cars ever :cool: (imho)

Correct on all of the above!

I won’t mention the car yet but I’m extremely close.
    I’ve agreed a price and various checks have come up trumps. Just one last hurdle to clear in the form of a mechanics inspection and that’s it.
    I shall name it Marty after one of my favorite sitcom characters who recently passed away. Fingers crossed classic dudes and dames!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭tc20

If it's Marty Feldman you're referring to, then its gotta be one of these ;)

https://img.pistonheads.com/LargeSize/morgan/aero-8/morgan-aero-8-S3281302-1.jpg

tc20 wrote: »
    If it's Marty Feldman you're referring to, then its gotta be one of these ;)

https://img.pistonheads.com/LargeSize/morgan/aero-8/morgan-aero-8-S3281302-1.jpg

Got it in one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Looking at the mini it’s obviously had some upgrades/modifications even if they are mechanical improvements.

Will this worry classic insurance ?? Or is it a case of say nothing.

I was renewing my insurance recently and it was a big point for them, all modifications from original condition must be detailed or the insurance would be invalid.

_Brian wrote: »
    Looking at the mini it’s obviously had some upgrades/modifications even if they are mechanical improvements.

Will this worry classic insurance ?? Or is it a case of say nothing.

I was renewing my insurance recently and it was a big point for them, all modifications from original condition must be detailed or the insurance would be invalid.

I did give them a buzz about that mini and I told them about the changes. They had no problem with the changes. It was Campion Insurance.

Right then an update.
    Toyotas are out, too many restrictions insurance wise. As tempted as I am with the 340 its just too pricey. Seem to be around the £1000 mark in the UK.

I've just had a look at a 97 mini, very good condition. Im going to do the usual history checks and have a garage lined up to do an inspection if things check out. Anyone any thoughts on this https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1997-mini-cooper-1-3l/17896189

Thanks again everyone for your inputs.

Bought the mini this evening. The whole transaction went very smoothly. Very happy with it.

Advertisement