Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 months to lose 3 stone!

Options
  • 02-02-2018 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi just wondering if it is possible to lose 3 stone in 3 months? Has anyone done it? When you work out I find it hard to get the whole food thing right. Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Have you considered low carb? 5:2 might also be an option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yeah, I found that when I did go to the gym, I was more hungry after and ended up eating more. I think for weight loss, focus on diet.

If you decide to eat carbs, then cut down on oil intake. Be careful with salad dressings. Also, make sure all of your grains are whole grain, and halve the portion size. You will feel hungry at first, but that will go away within a few days. Have an apple and some water if you are hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

It depends on your starting point.... i was 20 stone starting off and lost 4 stone in 4 months with slimming world - no gym, just walking a lot.

With a good diet and plenty of exercise, you should achieve - best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Focus on how much you eat - not the breakdown of carbs/protein/fat in what you eat.

No matter whether you choose low carb, intermittent fasting, 5:2, super prehistoric paleo, it all amounts to reducing calorie intake.

Start with using MyFitnessPal to get an idea of what you're eating. You'll need a digital kitchen Scales to go with that. Think if it as a learning exercise. It should (a) make you aware of how much you're eating and (b) make you more mindful of what you're eating if you're tracking.

It will work if you're honest. But it's important to get a handle on where you're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I would trust Alf Veedersane OP. He has given such sound advice on nutrition IMHO and has taught me a lot (unbeknownst to him!)

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    I would trust Alf Veedersane OP. He has given such sound advice on nutrition IMHO and has taught me a lot (unbeknownst to him!)

Really?? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

fussyonion wrote: »

Really?? Thanks :)

Really. And you're welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Hi just wondering if it is possible to lose 3 stone in 3 months? Has anyone done it? When you work out I find it hard to get the whole food thing right. Any advice?

Depends on your starting point...

Is it for a wedding or something similar? Just be careful that you don't do anything dangerous, that makes you gain the weight back with some bonus weight for your efforts!

There are no shortcuts. Extreme weight loss is possible, but it requires extreme commitment. Very high discipline to a strict routine!

Low fat and low sugar... lots of vegetables/wholegrains/quality protein etc.

Exercise is just as important as your diet. I would suggest something like HIIT / interval training combined with lots of walking. Consistency is key here... no point training like mad for a couple of weeks, and then missing sessions because of tiredness. So although you do need to work hard - not so hard that you get exhausted or injured.

Focus on how much you eat - not the breakdown of carbs/protein/fat in what you eat.

Macro ratios do help you to control your total calorie intake though...

Like if you are eating the right quantity of quality protein and healthy fats, you are less likely to be hungry and binge on unhealthy or empty carbs etc.

(not a criticism of your advice Alf - just a slight critique) :)

Macro ratios do help you to control your total calorie intake though...

Like if you are eating the right quantity of quality protein and healthy fats, you are less likely to be hungry and binge on unhealthy or empty carbs etc.

(not a criticism of your advice Alf - just a slight critique) :)

I'm not saying they don't. But it's less to think about when it's new to you. And if you're tracking to start with, then you'll quickly figure out where you get less bang for your buck.

It's more about ease of taking on something that's new and takes some effort. And obviously food quality matters. But it's an evolution from scratch. Keeping it a bit more simple to start allows you to make progress and build on it.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying they don't. But it's less to think about when it's new to you. And if you're tracking to start with, then you'll quickly figure out where you get less bang for your buck.

It's more about ease of taking on something that's new and takes some effort. And obviously food quality matters. But it's an evolution from scratch. Keeping it a bit more simple to start allows you to make progress and build on it.

Fair point...

There wouldn't be a huge amount of value in filling someone's head with macronutrient ratios, and other complicated jargon, if they are just trying to grasp the initial basics of good nutrition.

But still important to give them an idea of what constitutes a balanced meal/snack - just perhaps without the formal terms.

Fair point...

There wouldn't be a huge amount of value in filling someone's head with macronutrient ratios, and other complicated jargon, if they are just trying to grasp the initial basics of good nutrition.

But still important to give them an idea of what constitutes a balanced meal/snack - just perhaps without the formal terms.

I don't disagree. Calories is a starting point. And no one that stays at the same level of knowledge or understanding of nutrition will make much progress so the progress has to be underpinned by a better understanding of nutrition

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Fair point...

yes there is a huge amount of value in -

Step one - teach them how many calories they individually need to consume daily to maintain and for fat loss

Step two - how does that breakdown from a macro perspective and where do they struggle to hit the right levels

NOT having to Assess and check these two steps is the goal but from the outset if you just tell people to eat healthy what ive found is they simply kick the problem down the road when it would be quicker for them to be honest with their food intake from the get go

Overall 3 stone in three months is possible but just seems unrealistic and the quicker you drop the faster the rebound from what ive seen. Use a sustainable means to fat loss you can see yourself doing forever rather than something that makes you miserable and you want to get off as soon as the event is over

Advertisement