Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Winter Olympics

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Russian bobsleigh pilot Nadezhda Sergeeva has been banned from the Winter Olympics for doping - just a day before Olympic chiefs meet to discuss lifting sanctions on her country.

168 Russian athletes who proved they were clean were allowed to compete as neutrals at the Pyeongchang Games.

Sergeeva is the second of those 168 to have failed a doping test.
    Sergeeva, 30, finished 12th in the two-woman bobsleigh event.

That followed Russian curler Alexander Krushelnitsky being stripped of his bronze medal after being found guilty of doping.

The IOC's executive board met on Saturday, when a discussion on whether to maintain or lift the suspension on Russia took place - a decision is now expected on Sunday.
    Lifting the suspension would allow Russian athletes to parade with their national flag at Sunday's closing ceremony.

The OAR team are the third biggest at the Games, behind Canada and the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Ardillaun wrote: »
    We Canadians have the curtains drawn and are in a very fragile state tonight after losing to the US in women's hockey and then to...I don't know if I can say it...Germany in the men's semis. The curling was a catastrophe as well. Fortunately, nobody else seems to have figured out the mixed curling yet so we got away with that, and the team skating. We also did well in the women's ski cross with gold and silver but what a crazy event that is. You'd want to bring a spare pair of knees with you.

Yes I saw the highlights of the hockey matches. The women`s final shootout could have gone either way but the Canadian men`s team really had a shocker going 3-0 down to the Germans before narrowing the gap. I know there is an issue with the top NHL players not being allowed to take part in the Olympics but even so that`s the ice hockey equivalent of China beating Brazil in football.
    I hope Germany's success helps ice hockey grow in that country. There are great ice hockey nations to the south e.g. Czech Republic, Slovakia, as well as the north and east.

Just watched Canada's gold medalists Virtue and Moir dancing at the skating gala to the music of The Tragically Hip whose lead singer Gord Downie died recently. So beautiful. Must confess I was more than a little moved, folks.

A few years ago (probably quite a few now) I was home from Canada and wandered into one of those sports bars. By a happy chance, or so I thought, Slovakia were playing Canada on the big screens. Next thing Slovakia scored and the bar staff erupted and, after a moment's confusion, I realized how much Ireland had changed since I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭muppetshow1451

• Advertisement

The Norwegians, being the modest sort that they are, are worried if they are ruining some of the Winter Olympics sports by winning too many medals (e.g. cross-country skiing)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/24/sports/olympics/final-medal-count-norway.html

I see the topless Tongan showed up at the closing ceremony all oiled up again. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Eurosport 3, 4 and 5 are gone now from Virgin. Really enjoyed the Olympics, gonna miss it!

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Eurosport 3, 4 and 5 are gone now from Virgin. Really enjoyed the Olympics, gonna miss it!

Only 2 and a half years to go until Tokyo 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Was a great Winter Olympics, really gonna miss it.

• Advertisement

some good stories - Ledecka winning the Super-G was unreal, even to herself.
    can't see that achievement of an alpine skiing gold and a snowboarding gold ever being done again.

Advertisement