Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kelloggs Reducing Sugar Content

Options
  • 29-01-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Did a quick search but couldn't see this flagged up elsewhere on boards.

I was browsing the nutrition labels on the cereal packs today, just to reassure myself that Weetabix was still a good low sugar breakfast option, when I saw that Cornflakes are now down to 8% sugar. On checking a few other cereals, they are definitely lower than before i.e many now in the low teens and less than 20%.

A quick search showed that Kelloggs made an announcement on this at the end of November. See here and here

Whatever the driver for this - sugar tax or just bowing to the growing tide of anti-sugar sentiment, this is surely a welcome development?

FYI, I haven't had breakfast cereal myself in about 2 years, I'm thriving on my LCHF diet so it's eggs and rashers for breakfast most days. Trying to wean the kids off of Weetos and Coco Pops is another matter!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They’ve been stuffing them with sugar for Europeans for years. Hard to believe their American cereals had less sugar in them than ours for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

vicwatson wrote: »
    They’ve been stuffing them with sugar for Europeans for years. Hard to believe their American cereals had less sugar in them than ours for years.

Hard to believe, as in, Americans are still becoming more obese?

Well, I guess that there's other sources of sugar in their diets. And lots of processed carbs that are high GI, so as good as sugar as far the effect on blood sugar goes. Stuff that might make you feel full initially, but will have you craving more 2 hours later. The end result being that the take in more calories than they really need.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I was browsing the nutrition labels on the cereal packs today, just to reassure myself that Weetabix was still a good low sugar breakfast option, when I saw that Cornflakes are now down to 8% sugar.

Haven't cornflakes always been low in sugar? Are you sure you're not confusing them with Frosties?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If Cornflakes and the sugar content therein are your biggest nutritional concerns, you're doing alright.

Advertisement