Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do strangers personal stories change your mind when voting in a referendum?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

kneemos wrote: »
    Yeah folk have opinions. The question was do individual stories change minds,they undoubtedly do.

We're agreed that they do of course change some peoples minds, but the OP asked the question of individuals, and so in that respect we can only answer for ourselves as individuals. Do individial stories influence my voting preference in a referendum? Of course not. That's an answer from my own individial perspective. It may or may not influence how other people may choose to answer the same question for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

For me now I'm not swayed by what's being said by either pro-choice or pro-life sides as regards repealing the 8th amendment. I knew instinctively not to be a part of denying marriage equality to gays and lesbians of this country as it was the right thing to do. I will be voting yes to repeal the 8th when the time comes. I want Ireland to go forward in time not backwards. I don't want my fellow women to go alone to somewhere they've never been to end an unwanted pregnancy. No more planes or boats. Let those procedures happen in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,016 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A long time I was quite strongly pro life. Over time hearing stories of the reality of womens lives completely changed my perspective on the issue.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement