Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP McManus Pro-Am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,834 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just home long day, course is amazing surely best parkland in the country. Probably the closest I'll get to Augusta. Followed Tiger and Rory who both got huge support. Free ice-cream was a nice touch. Car park was right beside the 12th hole, no delays. Only downside really was queuing 45 minutes for a hotdog. Not going to bother with it tomorrow, had enough with the Irish open and today.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Motivator

What is there to talk about? He’s playing with 3 people who’ve never worked a day in their lives, sponging off their old lad is not much of a conversation starter with Woods.

The amateur side of this turned me off it completely. I see enough of Bill Murray at the A T&T every year. Fair play to JP and anyone that put money towards this, fantastic cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Just back from it. First time at a golf tournament. Had visited Adare before but the course is just incredible no matter how many times you've seen it.

Huge crowd but plenty of opportunities to get close up views of the best golfers in the world if you planned ahead a few holes.

Extremely well organised event, only downside was the insane queues for food, note to self to bring food next time!

Gave my tickets to a few friends for tomorrow but wouldn't have minded making the trip up from Cork again!

Post edited by mcburns07 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Diabolically slow.

3 hours for 10 holes , over 5 and a half for 18.

Course is immaculately kept, with no rough and fairways around 100 yards wide.

Not the best of viewing courses.

Parked in the village and walked in the side entrance to the course, very handy , saved 30 euro on parking.

Anyone could have walked onto the course today , nobody was checking caps.

Nice to see the pros up close but the pace of play is chronically slow and coupled with the fact each pro is with 3 amateurs means if you are following a group you see very little pro shots.

Alot of ignorant muppets on tee boxes holding phones up in the air too.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,118 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Surprised Rahm's comments didn't get picked up a bit more. He was extremely impressed with the crowd, place etc but said the course would need to be de-Americanised for the Ryder Cup.

• Advertisement

Followed Rahn today for a good few holes, was probably the best group to watch, Brian Evans was burning it up.

Yeah its far too open a course for a European Ryder Cup venue, the fairways are miles wide and there is no rough at all.

The rough there is better than fairways in some courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'd imagine they will toughen it up. Wide open fairways would play into the Yanks hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I like a bit of rough when ryder cup is in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Never in all my life will i understand why , when an event is being broadcast by professionals, someone would want to visit the ground and watch the event through a shaky cam instead of their own eyes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

DP World Tour had all of Rory's shots on YT and this was my immediate thoughts, have to squeeze in those fairways and grow up the rough for sure, green complexes are already there. The Yanks that played here yesterday and today should not recognise the course in 2027.

Last thing we want on a home venue is a US course which this clearly is.

Sounds like all had a great day apart from the food, my phone was hopping with pics, enjoy the last day!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Rough definitely better than our fairways and the fairways much better than our greens!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Looking at the Smurfits making a dogs dinner of the first hole and being interviewed later reminded me of Succession. Sharon could be Shiv, the younger lad Romain, and the older lad Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

Is there any highlights been shown on telly? was home late last night so didnt get to check.

No LIV comments please, post them on the LIV thread, LIV posts deleted

Never in all my life will i understand why , when an event is being broadcast by professionals, someone would want to visit the ground and watch the event through a shaky cam instead of their own eyes.

Its infuriating.

You get a good position on the tee box and at the last minute some ape sticks up the phone and blocks the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If they could somehow dispense with the am part or at least have a different set of amateurs it would be better. A charity event jammed with Smurfits, Desmonds, Magniers, McManuses plus Denis O'Brien, Charlie McCreevy etc. doesn't sit well with me.

Best thing (apart from the obvious i.e. Tiger) about it is Di Dougherty's arse in her tight jeans.

YouTube had every shot from Rory's round posted yesterday evening, he shaved the hole with a lot of putts

The Limerick hurlers were well looked after anyway, walking around with Tiger and Rory!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

probably bad form to being up the LIV drama at a charity event. Just focus on the golf and raising money.

I know some players did talk about it - Harrington, McDowell etc a

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

There's something a little off about the whole event

They're all flying in on their private jets destroying the ozone layer .And jaysus like just give the money to charity if you want to support them.

Other than that I've no issue with it as a spectacle albeit a ropey enough one with all the celebs in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lads be careful with the comments about the rich people - I got completely scalded for it yesterday on here! It’s for charity didn’t you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Would much prefer JP to use his considerable clout to back the Irish Open (like rory did previously) rather than this personal vanity project of his.

Not a popular opinion, I've no doubt that it does great things for local charities but exhibition golf does nothing for me or for the game in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

None of these celebs are here to mingle with the public

Most of them barely tolerate it .Pathetic really expecting some entertainment value from celebs and pros mingling on a golf course

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I just can't make sense of it, how all of the top golfers are there. None of them care that much about charity. And if they did, they could make as much if not more for charity through their own initiatives.

It just can't be what it appears to be, it's too good to be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Please tell me there is a video of this. I would pay to see the Smurfits duff and shank it around playing with Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

And I had a post deleted, make sure to doff your cap to elite as you go around 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You'd want to be naive bordering on dumb to not see it as a quid pro quo.

No appearance fee allows JP to promote the full charity side of the event. The players get to have a billionaire business mogul owe them a favour. Everyone wins.

I could care less really, I just wish the Irish Open could have tapped into a similar field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Motivator

If the whatever it is, 50?, professionals playing is hazard a guess and say 40 of them are involved with charities or foundations so you’d be wrong there. To be fair they give plenty of money to charitable causes, especially the US based players, whether they want to or not. I believe there could be tax breaks for charitable foundations/trusts etc. for the mega wealthy which is what these guys are.

The smurfit clan absolutely do my head in. Someone mentioned Succession earlier and that’s exactly what they’re like. Leeching off their old fella. Sharon Smurfit never worked a day in her life and if you look at her Twitter you’d swear she was an ambassador to Ireland. People telling her how great she is and how lucky she is to be playing with Tiger. Lucky indeed because she wouldn’t be in this position if she had to do it off her own back.

• Advertisement

Would be interesting to see the eventual money "raised", did I not hear €50m from the last one. We're not talking small bucks here and it all stays in this country so let them hack up a course I'll never get to play and have a jolly so future health needs are looked after...

Advertisement