Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irresponsible parents and smartphones

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Its actually an epidemic at the moment. I know of one secondary school that had 6 students in one class have left because of social media bullying within their circle of peers.

My youngest won't be getting one until she is mature enough I'm guessing 15 or 16. The parents who give them to kids below 12 arent fit to have kids.

I guess I'm not fit to have kids then :rolleyes:
    Where do I return them to? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Cordell

Where do I return them to?

Is it an option? Damn...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I guess I'm not fit to have kids then :rolleyes:
    Where do I return them to? :)

My son has a phone. It's completely locked down. It has no browser on it, a couple of game apps that he wanted, iMessage and Facetime.
    Youtube has been switched to the kids version (although I'll be getting rid of completely as some sh*t does slip through to it, but he's responsible about it).
    He can't download apps either. That's all password and pin protected.

All he can do for now is play his few games, message the people in contacts (that's 6 people at the moment) and Facetime the contacts.
    His messages are monitored, and he did have to get a warning once because he got carried away in a message exchange with his cousin. It hasn't happened since.

As he gets older, things will be gradually added back on and restrictions lifted.

It's been brilliant freedom for him. He can call me if he is stuck with anything or anywhere. We can call him and tell him to come home for dinner or see where he is. He is learning about usage of technology responsibly. He cannot take it to school, is not allowed bring it on car journeys, he can use it as part of his 1 hour a day screen time.
    I was away in Germany over the weekend, he was able to call me any time he missed me which gave him a lot of comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Cordell

All he can do for now is play his few games
    Just FYI, games are usually the start point for grooming, as most allow unrestricted messaging between players.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I’ve seen parents give 2year olds their phone to shut them up, stick on a YouTube cartoon and let them off. Such lazy parenting.

Peppa pig is such a corrupting influence.
    Meanwhile I'll stick to watching Sesame Street, brought to you today by the Letter J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm 26 and I grew up with social media as a teenager and smart phone later on
    I saw the strictest parents regarding banning social media websites/etc from there teenage children and they generally believed there kids didn't access them. The kids/teenagers simply did it at school/friends houses and often were a lot worse of because there parents were totally unaware of what the kids/teenagers were up to.
    I have seen a few people run into bother online and the people who had issues when they were 14 still do now at 26. I a strange account pops up and tells them there hot and goes send me a pic with you top off they do. Then it's everybody fault but there own.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Doesn't work. They all know to use the Opera browser which uses a vpn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Just filter what they can watch online and then it shouldn't be a problem i suspect most parents who are responsible do that already, i dont get the hysteria of the op, parents just want to be able to keep in contact with their kids just to know they are safe why should that be any sort of problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

My work has opened my eyes to the filth that is lurking on the internet in Social Media. Glad I’m not a parent and have to face it. Parents, be vigilant with your child’s online usage- especially messaging apps & social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

lol have to laugh kid not getting phone till hes 12-16 :pac: mad bat as the OP.

I notice this trend a lot in people that have no clue how internet works but yeah blame the technology because your lazy enough to google how to enable parent controls on router :cool: or speak to your kid about such topics.

Advertisement