Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged car by clamping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I’m not invested. I empathize with the OP based on the facts which he has presented, that’s all

The clamper putting the clamp and “half broken” warning on the wrong side of the car has greatly led to the op damaging their own car. Some fault does lie with the clamper.
    Like you said, the op damaged their own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Feasog Dearg

Not sure you have a case here - you're supposed to check all mirrors and look all around your vehicle before starting to drive. You would have seen the notice if you had (or at least noticed your view was obstructed through the passenger window).

Which is why the clampers usually put the clamp and warning on the drivers side of the car

Excuses, excuses, excuses. People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The main bit there is to fix a notice. Does it state that it has to be on the drivers window??
    Could they stick it under the wheel arch then, or under the bumper, or in the middle of the roof?

plodder wrote: »
    Could they stick it under the wheel arch then, or under the bumper, or in the middle of the roof?

It's easier to put it onto the see through bit. The bit you look through when you check your mirrors. The op said it was dark, of course it was dark as there was a big sticker blocking the light coming in.

• Advertisement

It's easier to put it onto the see through bit. The bit you look through when you check your mirrors.
    The reason they put it there, is so that you see it, when opening the door to get in. You see the big red writing STAD/STOP. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOVE. You don't see that looking at the back of the notice when checking your mirrors in the dark.
    The op said it was dark, of course it was dark as there was a big sticker blocking the light coming in.
    It was dark because the sun had gone down, not because there was a sticker on the window.

I don't see the problem with admitting the clampers made a mistake here. They are obviously supposed to put it on the drivers window, since that is what they normally do, and they didn't bother to check in this case. Taking responsibility and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Don't they put a notice under the window wiper also...Did the OP not notice the big lump of plastic screeching across his windscreen, I presume the OP had his wipers turned on in the rain.
    Secondly I presume that the driver was at the kerb side, so would have to use his passenger wing mirror and rear view mirror and right hand side of windscreen as he slowly drove into the road in the rain and dark....just saying.
    My advise OP is to use public transport and Wear a yellow bib and several flashing lights so you don't get run over because you seem to have very very very poor basic observational skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

The reason they put it there, is so that you see it, when opening the door to get in. You see the big red writing STAD/STOP. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOVE. You don't see that looking at the back of the notice when checking your mirrors in the dark.

Really??!!!

Seriously getting caught up on the small stuff here now.

Step away for a minute and have a realistic think about this from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Feasog Dearg

It was dark because the sun had gone down, not because there was a sticker on the window.

I don't see the problem with admitting the clampers made a mistake here. They are obviously supposed to put it on the drivers window, since that is what they normally do, and they didn't bother to check in this case. Taking responsibility and all that jazz.

The clampers didn't make a mistake. The NTA regulations only require that a clamping notice be on one page, legible and waterproofed. The sticking of notices on windows is additional and, as far as I can see, not required by NTA legislation.

You're getting carried away with "driver side window" - the clampers placed notice s on OPs car in the exact same location they would for any vehicle, regardless of internal configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Gerry T

You're getting carried away with "driver side window" - the clampers placed notice s on OPs car in the exact same location they would for any vehicle, regardless of internal configuration.

That's a good point. If you drive a LHD car wouldn't you be aware of looking out for notices such as these on the right hand side

• Advertisement

The clampers didn't make a mistake. The NTA regulations only require that a clamping notice be on one page, legible and waterproofed. The sticking of notices on windows is additional and, as far as I can see, not required by NTA legislation.

and that is the exact mistake. It's not a huge mistake obviously. Nobody died, but the OP's car was damaged, and I think they are partly responisble.

The law was quoted a few posts back (Vehicle Clamping act 2015). They are required to affix a notice, warning not to move the vehicle. It's fairly obvious the purpose of that is to avoid what happened in this case. How hard is it to look inside a vehicle to see which side the steering wheel is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,266 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not sure what is worse, the driver who is so unobservant he didn't notice the big yellow clamp on his wheel or the big sticker on his window, or the numpties who seem to think that that is perfectly ok.

These people are on our roads right now! A rather sobering thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

How hard is it to look inside a vehicle to see which side the steering wheel is on?

Just about as hard as looking in the mirrors before driving off...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the OP couldnt see the sticker Im not sure how he'd see a pedestrian crossing the road etc. Probably for the best he's in the sin bin for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Wondered where he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Honestly. If people could sue clampers of this kind of thing every one it would be impossible. I am sympathetic but it's the OP's responsibility...

BeardySi wrote: »
    Just about as hard as looking in the mirrors before driving off...
    So, what's your point? That they shouldn't bother checking if the car is LHD, and maybe owned by a tourist who doesn't even know about clamping?

They should put the sticker on the driver's side, whichever side that is. It's not rocket science.

Wondered where he's gone.

It was dark so who knows :)

The clampers didn't drive off with a big yellow boot on the wheel.. Surely the op must have thought that there was a chance that they were going to be clamped if they hadn't paid for parking. You are right about taking responsibility, it's a pity the op doesn't in this case.

So, what's your point? That they shouldn't bother checking if the car is LHD, and maybe owned by a tourist who doesn't even know about clamping?

They should put the sticker on the driver's side, whichever side that is. It's not rocket science.

Doesn't know about clamping :):). 😁 i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

OP you could be liable for any damage to the clamp. Providing you touched it. Then its your responsibility. Painful if there is damage. Repairing your vintage car and the clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Clampers have a duty of care, clearly not followed in this case.

This thread really should have been started on askaboutmoney.com and serves as a reminder to me why I abandoned the motors forum here a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

n97 mini wrote: »
    Clampers have a duty of care, clearly not followed in this case.

This thread really should have been started on askaboutmoney.com and serves as a reminder to me why I abandoned the motors forum here a long time ago.

This isn't the motors forum.

Tbh I think the responses in there would be different.

The responses here are laughable if they think the clampers bear no responsibility for adequately warning the driver their car was clamped.

It's quite simple , they didn't . There's a reason it's put on the driver's side because that's the Side a driver enters the vehicle otherwise they could get away with placing it on the back window.

I'd be off to seek advice at best the clamping policy needs an overhaul to include LHD in their staff handbook

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Not sure you have a case here - you're supposed to check all mirrors and look all around your vehicle before starting to drive. You would have seen the notice if you had (or at least noticed your view was obstructed through the passenger window).

Except the OP said it was a vintage car and the mirrors may be on the bonnet, or non-existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Except the OP said it was a vintage car and the mirrors may be on the bonnet, or non-existing.

All the more reason to take care of it so,I would have thought.

Just passed three clamped cars on Capel street. Each one had the Front driver’s side wheel clamped and a warning notice on the drivers window. I wonder why that is?

The clamper must have OCD, OR, more likely it’s in their training to clamp the drivers side wheel and leave a warning on the drivers window, because that’s what makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Gotta love all the comments from people who check everything around their car before they drive off , I call absolute bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Dayo93 wrote: »
    Gotta love all the comments from people who check everything around their car before they drive off , I call absolute bull****
    Not everyone who said it was the OP's fault said they did. I would admit to not doing so. I would check both ways, and my wing mirrors before pulling off though! But, if I pulled off with clamp attached, ignoring a sticker on any of my windows, I would see that as my fault.

I actually would normally do more checks in paid parking where I have paid, as I'm a bit paranoid about pay and display ticket blowing out of view/ park by text having an issue or something like that. If I hadn't paid and I knew I should've I'm pretty sure it would be one of the first things I would check though. Personally I don't know why anyone would take the chance, as wondering whether I'd be clamped would be a headwreck - and I don't think that should be lost in this. The OP knew they should've had a ticket and took a chance, and got clamped.

Dayo93 wrote: »

It's a bit foolish not to check for a clamp if you forgot or took a chance in not paying any parking fee that was due.

• Advertisement

It's a bit foolish not to check for a clamp if you forgot or took a chance in not paying any parking fee that was due.

It’s also foolish for a professional clamper to put a clamp and warning on the passenger side of a car

Advertisement