Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2262 teachers on a career break? For 5 years?

Options
  • 26-01-2018 6:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0126/936116-teachers/

Hi all. I was just reading this article. Is it really allowed for a teacher to take a break (5 years apparently! ) and to go work abroad (like Dubai) as a teacher and come back to their old job? Seems a bit unfair. What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think its tough on the temporary teachers who are stepping in to replace the teachers gone abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Some work abroad but I’d imagine plenty take time out to have kids, or become politicians. They get replaced by other younger teachers I’d imagine who gain experience and by the end of the break probably quite a few get full time positions for others who have left in the meantime. It’s a nice perk but I don’t really have a problem with it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

jcorr wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0126/936116-teachers/

Hi all. I was just reading this article. Is it really allowed for a teacher to take a break (5 years apparently! ) and to go work abroad (like Dubai) as a teacher and come back to their old job? Seems a bit unfair. What do you think?

If anyone went to my boss and said "i'm taking a 5 year break to go abroad but i'll be back" I guess they would not be employed for very many seconds after that conversation.

I guess it's different when the taxpayer pays the wages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Strange that you can take a career break from teaching to teach.
    I'm a teacher in France and we can take career breaks after a certain length of service but we're not allowed to do anything to do with teaching on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Is it any public sector job?
    I know one lad working in IT there bitterly complaining he couldn’t move up a grade as the head dev was in the US for a few years and his job was still being held for him in case he decided to come back before the 5 years were up.
    It’s a complete joke really.
    You leave your job then tough titty. You decide to run for politics? Then make a decision and if you fail to get voted in then start looking for another job. See how the normal citizen has to get on in life and not be sucking from the taxpayers tits. It’s a major reason why none of these politicians has any real empathy towards the working people and this job holding needs to got rid of. Of course there’s not a hope of it as the public sector would never sign up for it.
    Probably as apart from the health /fire sectors the majority of the public sector wouldn’t last 5 Mins in a real job given how useless and incompetent most of them are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

Allowing teachers take long career breaks helps to increase the number of teachers who don’t have full pension contributions by the end of their teaching career. It will save the state a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If anyone went to my boss and said "i'm taking a 5 year break to go abroad but i'll be back" I guess they would not be employed for very many seconds after that conversation.

I guess it's different when the taxpayer pays the wages?

They don't get paid !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Blazer wrote: »
    Is it any public sector job?
    I know one lad working in IT there bitterly complaining he couldn’t move up a grade as the head dev was in the US for a few years and his job was still being held for him in case he decided to come back before the 5 years were up.
    It’s a complete joke really.
    You leave your job then tough titty. You decide to run for politics? Then make a decision and if you fail to get voted in then start looking for another job. See how the normal citizen has to get on in life and not be sucking from the taxpayers tits. It’s a major reason why none of these politicians has any real empathy towards the working people and this job holding needs to got rid of. Of course there’s not a hope of it as the public sector would never sign up for it.

Probably as apart from the health /fire sectors the majority of the public sector wouldn’t last 5 Mins in a real job given how useless and incompetent most of them are.

Any links for that last assertion or did you just make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Enda Kenny enjoyed a 30 year break from his teaching job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Enda Kenny enjoyed a 30 year break from his teaching job.

Didn't go back to teaching and won't either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

I had a public service job years ago.
    I took a 5 year career break and loved it.
    Eventually I went back but I only stayed 2 years and then went to the private sector.
    It was great perk to have , and it really broadens your horizons and I'm so glad I did it.
    Everyone should take at least a year out of work in their 20s because the longer you go on the less likely you will be to take it.

Didn't go back to teaching and won't either.

Yep, but that position was still left open for him. That means for 30 years a teaching job had to be filled by a substitute teacher while Enda sat in opposition bencches.

Nice safety net if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

It's honestly baffling how people still believe that the majority of public sector workers are both incompetent and overpaid. It really reflects a unique kind of bitterness and ignorance. They've clearly never looked at a modern public sector pay scales. They clearly think the country runs itself. The financial crisis resolved itself. Our stellar diplomatic reputation just occurred accidently overnight. Our notoriously thorough and adept revenue commissioners didn't collect record receipts last year.

Allowing teachers take long career breaks helps to increase the number of teachers who don’t have full pension contributions by the end of their teaching career. It will save the state a fortune.

I'll just leave this here so
    The row erupted following a report that the Fine Gael leader was due a lump sum of €100,000 and an annual pension of €30,000 arising from his four years as a teacher in the 1970s before he became a TD.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kenny-i-wont-accept-teacher-pension-145995.html

Now so far as i understand it Enda never drew down this pension, but he would be the exception to the rule I would imagine. Still though - 100k and 30k pa for 4 years contributing :confused:

What the actual fcuk.

Better to let them take a break than force them out of the profession forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

A lot of professions offer this.

I can take a career break in my job and it will be there when I come back, albeit 5 years is excessive. Working in IT, in 5 years there in 0 chance that my job would be anything like what it is now. So there is no way I would be coming back to the same job and unless I was uptraining and upskilling during the time I am away then I would be about as valuable to my company as someone coming fresh out of Uni.

What the majority here do is drop their hours to 60% or 70% to work on their private projects. If it works out they leave, if not they come back at 100%.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Better to let them take a break than force them out of the profession forever.

This would cover most of the people I know on career break. I don't know even one teacher who took a career break to teach abroad.

That may be because of my age profile, or the fact I was not a primary teacher. Most teachers I knew took their career breaks to care for children or elderly parents, or had been left some money and took the chance to travel for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

griffdaddy wrote: »
    It's honestly baffling how people still believe that the majority of public sector workers are both incompetent and overpaid. It really reflects a unique kind of bitterness and ignorance. They've clearly never looked at a modern public sector pay scales. They clearly think the country runs itself. The financial crisis resolved itself. Our stellar diplomatic reputation just occurred accidently overnight. Our notoriously thorough and adept revenue commissioners didn't collect record receipts last year.

I know plenty of people working in the public sector who believe that incompetence is rife and many are overpaid.
    I do a fair a bit of work with the public sector myself and come across plenty of examples of both, particularly in larger organisations.
    Funnily enough I find schools to generally be very competently and efficiently run, much more so than in my schooldays.
    Dismissing taxpayers criticisms of how their money is spent as "bitterness and ignorance" exhibits an incredible sense of superiority.
    I don't know where I stand on career breaks. They seem to make sense in general but more than 2 years seems excessive, 5 years should be exceptional cases only and 30 years is completely taking the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

Yep, but that position was still left open for him. That means for 30 years a teaching job had to be filled by a substitute teacher while Enda sat in opposition bencches.

Nice safety net if you can get it.

Not true. If you’re gone for more than the 5 years you give up your job as it’s not kept for you past then. Plus it is up to the school or organisation to decide if you can take it and that’s a decision that’s made every year. You can’t apply for 5 years, you apply yearly and hope you get it, up to a max of 5.

I took a 2 year career break and the young teacher who replaced me was given a CID by default as she had done 2 consecutive years in School on my full hours. So now I have a permanent job and so does she. So my taking a career break worked out quite well for both me and a newly qualified teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

griffdaddy wrote: »

I’ll give you that for the revenues. They are excellent in all my dealings with them and very professional.
    Public sector bodies that are useless? Anything in a regulatory role, HSE administration, solas or whatever the scam merchants at fas are calling themselves these days, the senate where incompetent politicians who’ve been voted out sneak back in to screw more money out of the taxpayer, the central bank, the IDA who constantly ignore small businesses to suck off American companies and we end up in situations where those workers then lose their jobs when that company finds somewhere cheaper to work.
    Motor tax offices, another indefensible joke.
    I could honestly keep going on and on.
    Public workers who deserve pay rises etc? Nurses, Trainee doctors who work illegal hours in a week, ambulance, firefighters, frontline police although they need a massive clearout of top level and scumbags.

• Advertisement

lemmno wrote: »
    Not true. If you’re gone for more than the 5 years you give up your job as it’s not kept for you past then. Plus it is up to the school or organisation to decide if you can take it and that’s a decision that’s made every year. You can’t apply for 5 years, you apply yearly and hope you get it, up to a max of 5.

I took a 2 year career break and the young teacher who replaced me was given a CID by default as she had done 2 consecutive years in School on my full hours. So now I have a permanent job and so does she. So my taking a career break worked out quite well for both me and a newly qualified teacher.

Are you sure about that?

Only asking because there are a heap of stories out there that confirm what I'm saying, just wondering if you've any that back yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

jester77 wrote: »

I can take a career break in my job and it will be there when I come back, albeit 5 years is excessive. Working in IT, in 5 years there in 0 chance that my job would be anything like what it is now. So there is no way I would be coming back to the same job and unless I was uptraining and upskilling during the time I am away then I would be about as valuable to my company as someone coming fresh out of Uni.

What the majority here do is drop their hours to 60% or 70% to work on their private projects. If it works out they leave, if not they come back at 100%.

I'd have to disagree not a lot of professions offer career breaks, I would say they are something that is limited to the Public sector. If I asked my employer for a career break the only thing I would be told is "Sure no problem... Foxtrot Oscar then! leave your resignation letter on the desk in the morning"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They don't get paid !

Never said they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

jester77 wrote: »

I think everyone in any job should be allowed a year out. I would feel better arguing for that for everyone than having a moan and wanting taken away from some just because I don't have it now.

KellyXX wrote: »
    I think everyone in any job should be allowed a year out. I would feel better arguing for that for everyone than having a moan and wanting taken away from some just because I don't have it now.

I'd agree with you.

As I said. Nice perk if you can get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AFAIK, the Australian public service has an optional self-funded long service leave (paid) which public servants can take every ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

How does it effect the pension of teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Career breaks in the public sector were brought in in the dark days of the 1980s as a desperate attempt to cut the wage bill. The state was literally near bankrupt then, far worse than anything that happened ten years ago. Public servants who left were not replaced, with the glaring exception of teachers as a classroom with only kids in it would be rather unpopular with voters ;) but a junior teacher at the bottom of the pay scale was still a wage saving, and it "created opportunities for young people" as one of the mantras of the day went.

If the government made them redundant they'd have to make big severance payments and they couldn't afford this.

The hope was that a good proportion of them would emigrate and not come back. That was the thinking in those days. "We can't all live on a small island" - Tanaiste Brian Lenihan Sr.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

smurgen wrote: »
    How does it effect the pension of teachers?

It's non pensionable so can cause a significant reduction in pension / the need to work longer to secure a full pension.

Not sure about teachers but the public sector norm is half of final salary after 40 years of pensionable service, with NO social welfare pension on top.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Plus they get 18 months salary tax free on retirement.

Advertisement