Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus IS300h MPG

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Bif wrote: »
    Cheers...I would add refinement to the attractions.

And reliablity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I am reading all these posts on the 300H with interest as I am strongly considering buying one in the summer.

Still doing research so my question is about the battery life and replacement cost in these hybrids.

Can the battery fail and if so is it a costly repair job? Is there a typical mileage level where this happens?

I heard a half baked story at work today from a colleague about battery failure in a new Prius and costing €6k to replace but covered under warranty as car was relatively new.

(OP apologies for jumping in on your thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Can the battery fail and if so is it a costly repair job? Is there a typical mileage level where this happens?

Yes, it can. Highly unlikely in our climate though.

With non-plugin hybrids like IS300h, the battery is never fully discharged nor fully charged. There is very little stress put on it and if it does not overheat (our "heatwaves" are not dangerous) it will outlive the rest of car.

grogi wrote: »
    Yes, it can. Highly unlikely in our climate though.

With non-plugin hybrids like IS300h, the battery is never fully discharged nor fully charged. There is very little stress put on it and if it does not overheat (our "heatwaves" are not dangerous) it will outlive the rest of car.

Ok that's reassuring, thank you v much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Ok that's reassuring, thank you v much

Also worth noting that usually only a portion of the battery goes bad. Toyota will say to replace the entire battery (Last I heard it’s about €2k) but you can replace the individual bad cells at much cheaper cost.

Also there are first gen prii from 1997 still running on their original battery.

• Advertisement

TBi wrote: »
    Also worth noting that usually only a portion of the battery goes bad. Toyota will say to replace the entire battery (Last I heard it’s about €2k) but you can replace the individual bad cells at much cheaper cost.

Also there are first gen prii from 1997 still running on their original battery.

Cheers, thx for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

grogi wrote: »
    With non-plugin hybrids like IS300h, the battery is never fully discharged nor fully charged.

This is the case for PHEVs too. On mine, "fully charged" is only 85% SOC, and once you go down to around 23% it will switch to hybrid mode where it operates like a normal Prius (maintaining around 20-30% SOC). I have not seen any significant degradation after 5.5 years.

Are servicing costs on these machines expensive? Are there extra considerations with servicing over a standard petrol engine?

I assume it's a main dealer job to keep battery warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I assume it's the same with the IS300h but the other Toyota hybrids have no belts, no starter motor, no alternator, and the transmission (they claim) is maintenance-free - the only real maintenance to do with the engines are oil, plugs and filters. You can get the hybrid health check done independently of a service at a Toyota/Lexus dealer (think it's €55), but that's basically just a visual inspection and plugging it into a computer.

Are servicing costs on these machines expensive? Are there extra considerations with servicing over a standard petrol engine?

I assume it's a main dealer job to keep battery warranty?

As said you're looking at oil, filters & plugs.
    The timing chain is genuinely trouble free.
    Even brakes won't wear as much due to regenerative tech.

I'm more or less decided on a 2nd hand is300h in early 2019 to do me for the following 7/10 years.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »

I'm more or less decided on a 2nd hand is300h in early 2019 to do me for the following 7/10 years.

Same as. Hoping to buy a 4 year old one out of UK during the summer if all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I'm getting 7.1l/100km at the moment, but it's new to me and a lot of test pilots over the last two weeks, I'd say 6.8/100km should be easy to get.

Same as. Hoping to buy a 4 year old one out of UK during the summer if all goes well.

Didn't purchase yet :(. Early next year hopefully. Keeping an eye on sterling exchange rate as well - I expect this to weaken further?

Advertisement